Insurance questions

bled01

I have never booked insurance before as I did not feel the need for it. However, we usually cruise in the summer and this time we are going in February for an upcoming cruise. I do not want to worry about my flight being delayed or canceled due to a snow storm, so I am considering getting some insurance this time.

I have some questions about what would be covered though...

I know that all policies would be different and I have looked at a few, but generally speaking I want to ask about what coverage I need to ask for. Specifically, if we miss embarkation due to a flight issue I understand that we are reimbursed for a specific value of the cruise based on the coverage we get. What about the cost of the flight or costs to book a new flight? Is that usually covered? Is it only covered if we get our air travel from the cruise line?

Depends on a lot of factors. You need to insure the whole trip that would include the cost of the air and cruise, etc. This needs to be done about the same time you make the down payment for the cruise.

You need to insure the whole itinerary and not just the cruise.

There is no insurance thats going to cover weather related issues and you just decide to stay home other than "Cancel For Any Reason", which you have to use 48+ hours in advance. (Unless the cruiseline cancels the entire cruise, which they won't do)

What you can get is Trip Interruption.

You MUST attempt to catch the ship at the first foreign port (at your expense) Then, when you return, you can file for reimbursement of any out of pocket expenses to catch up to the ship payable up to maximum amount of coverage.

Can't catch up to the ship because of no passport? Not covered

Couldn't get to the airport because of snow storm and just decided to stay home? Not covered

Many insurers now cover this with a "Missed Connection" benefit such as the following from a TravelSafe plan:

"Missed Connection: If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot.

These benefits will not duplicate any benefits payable under the policy or any coverage(s) attached to the policy."

What I would look for is a reasonable delay time -- TravelSafe has a minimum delay time of three hours which is pretty good.

You want the reasons for the delay to be pretty comprehensive -- TravelSafe covers ANY delay of a common carrier. Some won't cover mechanical breakdowns or things like FAA-caused delays, etc.

If you're worried about blizzards you want to be covered if the roads to the airport are shut down -- TravelSafe covers "b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure;"

And you want the benefit amount to be reasonably high -- TravelSafe has it at $2500 per person ($5000/couple) for this plan. This will cover any additional transportation expenses plus the value of the missed day(s) of the cruise.

There are other plans/insurers that are similar.

:o

I stand corrected.

Thanks Cruiseco :D

No, you were absolutely correct for those insurers that don't have a "Missed Connection" benefit -- not all of them do. In those cases the trip interruption benefit (possibly in combination with the travel delay benefit) is how you'll have to get reimbursed for your losses.

No, you were absolutely correct for those insurers that don't have a "Missed Connection" benefit -- not all of them do. In those cases the trip interruption benefit (possibly in combination with the travel delay benefit) is how you'll have to get reimbursed for your losses.

Is the "Missed Connection" rider relatively new?

Approx how much (by percentage) does it bump up the premium?

Is the "Missed Connection" rider relatively new?

Approx how much (by percentage) does it bump up the premium?

The "Missed Connection" benefit first started showing up a couple of years ago. TravelSafe has it, some of the Travel Guard plans have it, along with some CSA plans, etc.

For the plans that I'm aware of that have a "Missed Connection" benefit it's included in the base premium -- you don't have to pay any additional to have the coverage added. But of course that base premium is probably a couple of bucks more than otherwise -- nothing is free.

Also, for those plans that rely on their trip interruption benefit to cover the types of losses that result from missing the ship's departure, since the trip interruption benefit amount is usually (but not always) tied to the amount of cancellation coverage you purchase those that would prefer to not buy the cancellation coverage are pretty much forced to do so. With the TravelSafe Classic plan, for example, you have the option of purchasing your policy with $0 trip cancellation coverage and you still get the $2500 per person "Missed Connection" benefit.

Another nice feature of the "Missed Connection" benefit vs the trip interruption benefit is that in many cases the trip interruption time has to be as many a 12 to 24 hours long in some cases before the coverage kicks in (depending on the plan). The 3 hour delay time is much more reasonable. For comparison, here's from that same TravelSafe plan's covered reasons for trip interruption:

"g. unannounced Strike that causes complete cessation

of services of Your Common Carrier for at least 12

consecutive hours;

h. Inclement Weather that causes complete cessation

consecutive hours;

i. mechanical breakdown that causes complete cessation

consecutive hours;"

12 hours vs 3 hours. That's a big difference.

Archived