Miami's Tri Rail

KansasCityGuys

After our cruise in December, we are going to spend a few days in Ft. Lauderdale and are trying to figure out what would be the most economical way to get there from Miami. I was thing about the Tri Rail. Does anyone have an idea what a taxi would cost to the nearest. Tri Rail station and after reaching Ft. Lauderdale would it be easy to get a cab to the hotel. We are staying at the W on Ft. Lauderdale Beach Blvd.

I priced some shuttles and the price did not appear to be much less than a taxi.

Does the Tri Rail seem like a reasonable option or would a taxi be better?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

From the Port in Miami have the taxi take you to Government Center station ($10) then board Miami Metrorail ($2 per person) then get off at Tri-Rail Station and walk across to board the Tri-Rail.

I'm not terribly familiar with Fort Lauderdale, so I don't know where to go from there.

Remember Tri-Rail is a commuter train and it doesn't run that often on the weekends.

Remember Tri-Rail is a commuter train and it doesn't run that often on the weekends.

Correct, only every two hours on weekends, which is not nearly enough to meet demand. Many times on weekends there are reports of being unable to board due to overcrowding--and I'm sure you wouldn't have two hours slack in your schedule.

There is a tri-rail station near the FLL airport. You could ride the rail system to downtown Miami, or get off at the MIA airport and catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach for $2.35 each. :)

The tri-rail station on MIA airport property is closed for reconstruction. The above manouver would require:

--taking train from Ft Lauderdale to Hialeah Market station

--shuttle bus from station to MIA terminal

--MIA monorail from airport terminal to Metrorail bus station

--bus or rail to your (unspecified) destination in Miami

Way too much work for one's limited vacation time!

Your conclusion that shuttle services are not much cheaper than taxis is correct--and many companies are far from reilable. Its worth the money to move with as few steps as possible.

Did you check with SAS? Their shuttles should only cost you $15 pp from Port Miami to W Fort Lauderdale, if they can accomodate you into their schedule. That would cost less than a taxi and would be MUCH more convenient than taxis to/from Tri-rail plus the train ride.

Thanks for all of your responses so far. They will all help us make a decision in what to do. Yes, I had contacted SAS and they told me they no longer go from POM to Ft. Lauderdale hotels. They only will go to the airport because they have such a high demand.

Scott

The tri-rail station on MIA airport property is closed for reconstruction. The above manouver would require:

--taking train from Ft Lauderdale to Hialeah Market station

--shuttle bus from station to MIA terminal

--MIA monorail from airport terminal to Metrorail bus station

--bus or rail to your (unspecified) destination in Miami

Way too much work for one's limited vacation time!

The OP is getting from POM to a Fort Lauderdale hotel. So the above transfer is incorrect.

To use Public transport from POM the best way is to get to a Metrorail station (Government Center station being the best one from POM). Metro runs every 15 minutes on the weekends. Then transfer at Tri-Rail station, at this station you cross a bridge, the walk from Metro to Tri-Rail is maybe 50 yards.

It is a commuter train, I have seen train fill up on weekdays. I don't think it would fill up on weekend...unless something has changed.

Tri-Rail isn't the best option, but it is doable. The trains run every two hours, I would hate to be sitting at the Tri-Rail station for the whole two hours. With a little planning, you could probably limit the amount of wait for the Tri-Rail train.

OK, again thanks all for your help and suggestions. I got it all figured out this morning with a quick call to Super Shuttle. I have a voucher for Super Shuttle for up to a $75 value. I had originally planned on using this voucher to get from our apartment to the airport. Super Shuttle will allow us to apply the voucher to the total price and we can pay the difference plus gratuity.

The rates for Super Shuttle are not as expensive to get from our place to the airport as it is from POM to Ft. Lauderdale. I also view this as a savings!

Scott

• 1 month later...
WE always use the tri rail system. Find it easy and economical.

Have you used the tri-rail system from Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale Airport? My understanding from reading here is take a free shuttle from MIA airport to the tri-rail station, buy the ticket at this train station, board the train to FLL, get off at the tri-rail station nearest FLL and take a free shuttle to the FLL airport. Will there be clearly marked signs and direction at MIA airport, at the train station to board the correct train, what is the station name to get off? I'll be using it on a Friday afternoon if that will make any difference. Thanks.

Archived