Double Denali

FamilyofFourtoAlaska

We are doing the HAL cruisetour with two nights in Denali (land portion first, then sailing SB). I cannot seem to get specifics as to transportation to and from Denali. We are on the McKinley Explorer going to Denali from Anchorage and then motorcoach from Denali to Seward. I would like to know how long it takes each way and if there are some opinions about how we might do this better, if a choice is possible.

Another question: We are arriving a day early in Anchorage and doing the pre-tour option with one night at the Aleyska Prince Hotel and then 6 hour boat tour of the Kenai Fjords. I am starting to think we are going to be spending many, many hours in a motorcoach covering the same terrain.

Also, I have seen several posts which I can't find now about where it is good to sit on the train and motorcoach for scenery.

If anyone has insight on any of my questions, I would be grateful!

I did a land tour with Celebrity last year, and we did not find out extact times on our tour until we arrived in Anchorage. For the train portion Anchorage to Denali, you can look at the Alaska Railroad schedule, since the McKinley Explorer cars are part of the same train. I believe it is 7-8 hours. Denali to Anchorage by motorcoach is probably a little shorter, and Anchorage to Seward is about 3 hours, depending on whether or not you stop on the way.

There probably aren't any different options for transportation - when you purchase a landtour you a pretty much just purchasing transportation and lodging.

In my opinion, you want to sit on the left for Anchorage to Denali (and right on the way back). Anchorage to Seward, sit on the right.

HAL cruisetour no. 18 includes two nights at Denali and two nights at Alyeska with no backtracking. Also includes train from Fairbanks to Denali and Denali to Anchorage. Motor coach from Anchorage to Alyeska and Alyeska to Seward. We did it last year and enjoyed it.

Cheers

General Max

You are a BIG amount of time on the road. The train Anchorage/Denali Park is 8 hours, shuttles from the Denali depot to hotels and visitor center. HAVE plans in place for the extra day there, don't waste time deciding when you get there. http://www.nps.gov/dena

The bus will be about 6 hours Denali Park/Anchorage. To Girdwood, another hour, with the Kenai Fjords tour, 2 hours from Girdwood to Seward where the tour leaves from. Then 3 hour bus back to Anchorage. NEVER a recommended day tour in my opinion. Bus direct from Denali Park to Seward is at least 9 hours with stops. Add it up, too much time in transit.

Archived