Steakhouse dress code first night

mom4mom

Shorts are fine, it's Carnival. There moto is " It's My cruise I'll wear what I want".

In case you are serious, shorts are not fine. It specifically says so in the dress code for the steakhouse.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/SupperClub.htm

The dress code follows the dress code specified for that evening on board; if the evening is specified as Cruise Casual, shorts are not permitted.

Shorts are fine, it's Carnival. There moto is " It's My cruise I'll wear what I want".

May very well be - however, I wuold never wear shorts to the steak house, as I wouldn't in the main dining room - but whatever floats your boat - to answer the OP question - nice jeans are fine.

Shorts in the Steakhouse is extremely tacky. Yes, it's the first day but how long does it take to put on a pair of pants, 30 seconds

Very tacky, but I see 50 tacky and non conforming outfits everynight in the MDR and specialty restaurants. If you want to wear shorts, go for it. Carnival won't care.

Very tacky, but I see 50 tacky and non conforming outfits everynight in the MDR and specialty restaurants. If you want to wear shorts, go for it. Carnival won't care.

Carnival does care. On the Dream, my son's luggage had not arrived by the time we were leaving for dinner in the Steakhouse and he had his shorts (nice ones) on and just wore them. They told him he wasn't able to enter the Steakhouse unless he had long pants on. He had to go back to his room and wait for the luggage and change and meet us--which he did. The luggage was there when he went back. So, Carnival does care.

Jeans are permitted any night except Elegant Night and shorts are NEVER permitted.

Carnival does care. On the Dream, my son's luggage had not arrived by the time we were leaving for dinner in the Steakhouse and he had his shorts (nice ones) on and just wore them. They told him he wasn't able to enter the Steakhouse unless he had long pants on. He had to go back to his room and wait for the luggage and change and meet us--which he did. The luggage was there when he went back. So, Carnival does care.

Jeans are permitted any night except Elegant Night and shorts are NEVER permitted.

DH doesn't wear jeans. We live in FL most of the year and DH wears shorts almost all year so at embarkation, he had on dress shorts. (if there is such a thing.) We had reservations for the Steak House the first night and about 5PM our our luggage still had not arrived. I called them and explained the situation. I was told that if our luggage didn't arrive before the reservation time, they would be glad to re-schedule us.

As it turned out, our luggage arrived about half an hour later and he was able to change to dress pants and a polo shirt. So, Dream doesn't allow shorts in spite of what other ships do or in spite of how casual the first night is supposed to be "because your luggage didn't arrive."

One Carnival employee doing his job enforcing the dress code does not mean Carnival cares, in my opinion. I have seen poor and inappropriate dress 100's if not 1000's of times. Sometimes it's embarrassing to even sit at my MDR table with some of the outfits going on.

"Carnival won't care?" Many people do care. I, along with many, many cruisers wish to honor the long-time elegance a cruise invokes. We have been on many mainstream lines and just because it is "Carnival" does not mean you need to treat this cruise as a "Walmart" experience.

You DO expect to have fine dining with waiters dressed to serve (not in t-shirts and flip flops, a la beach waiters). You DO expect to have elegant tableside service with fine china and glassware. You DO expect to have a Maitre d' and waiters in tuxedos who oversee your experience. If Carnival provides all that (and they most certainly do on most all of their cruises), then dress for the occasion. I LOVE seeing women in beautiful outfits and men even more with a shirt, tie and jacket...especially if they're outside Washington, DC!

;)

Wear what you want. Who is anyone to tell you what you should or should not wear. Plenty of people on these boards love to push their opinion and say it's the only right way. Not so, it's your choice.

If people don't like your attire, they don't have to look at you. You paid for the cruise, you're paying extra for the steakhouse, if shorts are standard attire for your husband most of the year, why not at the steakhouse?

Personally, I wouldn't wear shorts, but wouldn't dress in slacks either. I'd wear a nice pair of jeans.

On my last cruise we were told jeans were not allowed. I really didn't notice what others were wearing - and that was on the first night. That was over the summer so not long ago but I guess the policy has since changed. IMO crusing is like flying on a plane...people used to dress up and it was a big deal, now it just really isn't that way.

Archived