Black Sea ports

Rat

We're booked for the 7/2/06 Nautica Black Sea sailing. We've read Pam's great review for the region. Does anyone have experiences they like to share about Odessa, Yalta, Sevastopol, Constanta and Nessebur?

Jan,

You see to be the MAVEN on all these Oceanic cruises..Hope you can help me out. We are booked on the Regatta 7/20/05 and are very confused about the tours available. This is a Scandanavia, Baltic cruise, as you may know. Do you suugest private tours versus the ship's? If so, in which ports? My husband is afraid if we take private tours we may miss the ship's sailing. We have cruised many times before, but this is our first European cruise where we are responsible for our own touring. LAst year we did Western Europe on Princess (great itinerary, fair ship) and our friend, a travel agent, put the trip together so everyone just "followed along." Thanks for your help, in advance. Also, do you think it's worth the six hours travel time to go to Berlin? We are Jewish and looking for Jewish places, but so far, no response. HELP!!! We are SO CONFUSED>>>>>my email is terri50@aol.com

Thanks again, Terri

Hi TerriC,

I would suggest you go to the "Ports Section" of this website and hit on "Baltic Ports". There is so much info available there. Then you can make a decision whether or not to "do it yourself" or take the ship's tours. I really recommend Rick Steves' books on the areas you will be visiting. We used them as our guide books when we did the Baltics ports ourselves.

Sheila

Following is a review of our Black Sea trip last year:

In spite of the long and grueling 9+ hour return flight (in extremely cramped United Air Lines seats I might add) we thoroughly enjoyed our just completed Black Sea Odyssey on the Insignia.

Since we are old Ren cruisers (6 in all) we pretty knew what to expect. The main differences between the old and the new - much better food, teak decks, evening outdoor dining, an excellent cruise director, martini bar.

The ship was fairly full with a large amount of highly experienced seasoned travelers. In general this was an extremely intelligent crowd with a majority of the passengers we met from California (correlation?)

Now to the itinerary and the excursions (we mostly took the "highlights" tours).

Guides. In general ours were good -some with an excellent command of the English language and great on historical perspectives. We did hear of one instance, however, where the guide was so bad that passengers had to quit the tour in midstream and join another group.

Itinerary. Much variety in ports from the Cold War remains (Constanta) to the historical (Yalta and Sevastopol) to the touristy (Nessebur) to the cultural (Odessa) to the resort (Sochi)

Nessebur, Bulgaria. An interesting mix to start the trip. First, a walking tour of the town including the small ancient church of the Blessed Savior, the new Museum of Art & History, and a stroll past the many shops and restaurants underscoring the tourist resort that it is. Next a scenic bus drive to the nearby resort of Sunny Beach where we were entertained by an extremely enthusiastic group of young Folkloric dancers with audience participation. Wine, soft drinks and food were served. This was probably the most enjoyable part of the excursion. Hint. If you are looking to buy native gifts and souvenirs, this might be a good place to do so as it becomes increasingly difficult to do so as the days progress.

Constanta, Bulgaria. This is a very depressing city with very little to see. It reminded us of the Cold War days of Russia where there was little or nothing in the shops, the buildings and streets looked old and neglected and there was a generally dismal atmosphere. On the advice of some others we did not sign up for any tours and went into town on our own (bus ride is $1 each way). After hearing the negative comments from those on tour we were pleased with our decision.

Odessa, Ukraine. We fortunately made a mistake and instead of signing up for the "highlights" tour we went on the "Scenic Odessa and Concert" excursion. For an extra $10 we sat in on one of the most powerful concerts we have ever experienced. This was probably one of the more memorable tours we have ever taken primarily because of the concert (which by the way was not promoted very heavily in the excursion talks). Would highly recommend this tour.

Sevastopol, Ukraine. Much of the tour centered around the history of the Crimean war and the failed defenses against Anglo-French troops in 1854-55 . The tour highlight was a trip to the "Panorama", a hugh 360 degree mural accurately detailing the events of Crimean war. The fresco is so realistic you feel that you are actually present during the invasion.

Sochi, Russia. This is a beautiful Russian resort town frequented by Russia's Putin and other high level dignitaries. We visited the Matsesta Spa and its renowned sulfur water touted as effecting in treating respiratory and cardiac diseases. Then a trip to the Botantical Gardens containing more than a thousand species of trees and shrubs from all over the world. We wound up in Riviera Park with some free time to shop the craft stalls and souvenir shops. Unless you have a visa or join a tour you will be unable to tour the town on your own.

Yalta, Ukraine. This was probably the most picturesque and historical stop of all. Highlight of the trip was a scenic drive along the coast to the White Palace of Livadia. Here we saw the restored meeting rooms of the famous Yalta Conference. We also toured through the Alupka Palace where Churchill stayed during the conference.

Mykonos and Athens. We did these two ports on our own since we have visited them both before. Warning. If you are thinking about cabbing it into the center of Athens plan on spending about $50 plus U.S. for a round trip fare. We took the train which was $1.20 and it took you right into the center of town. We found a great restaruant in the Plaka district called Platanos. The best lamb and potato meal I have ever had.

This was a great trip with much variety and fortunately great weather. As someone said, "this is not a trip a first-time cruiser would take." Our experiences bore this out.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Sheila, when you get back from the your cruise, I'll be hounding you for more info! :)

We're planning to stay 2 nights post cruise in Istanbul. Is that enough time to see the major sights? We are already staying another night there aboard the ship.

Hi again RAT,

When we return I will gladly give you whatever info you wish. We are using private tour guides in some of the ports. They changed the Black Sea Cruise intinerary for 2006 -- there will be two. We start and end in Athens. We have been there before many years ago and will stay over an extra day to go to Delphi and see some sights we missed. As far as Istanbul is concerned, I would go on line to frommers.com and fodors.com or pick up a book at the book store to really research what you want to see. My cousins were there for a week, but we were there only two days on our past cruise. Go to the Yahoo Board also to post.

Sheila

• 2 months later...

My Dear Rat:

We booked ourselves on the July 2nd Black Sea cruise as well. We found a great rate at the Conrad Istanbul (Hilton) for two days following the cruise at $99 a night. It's still available via the www.hilton.com website, although you'll have to provide your AAA number for the full discount. The cruise already appears to be getting full, so we might have enough members to start our own Cruise Critic Roll Call (or to form yet another Yahoo Group!).

Rich & Judy

P.S. Don't worry - this is a friendly cat.

We are going on the July 2nd sailing of the Nautica and looking forward to an exciting cruise. However, everything I've read and heard about this port is negative. The ship's excursions are disappointing and the town is dismal. I have two questions: Is Oceania trying to work with the local agencies to arrange more interesting excursions? If this is such a depressing, dismal city, are we better off just relaxing on the ship? I have never done that before but walking around a city such as I've heard described doesn't appeal to me either!

We are going on the July 2nd sailing of the Nautica and looking forward to an exciting cruise. However, everything I've read and heard about this port is negative. The ship's excursions are disappointing and the town is dismal. I have two questions: Is Oceania trying to work with the local agencies to arrange more interesting excursions? If this is such a depressing, dismal city, are we better off just relaxing on the ship? I have never done that before but walking around a city such as I've heard described doesn't appeal to me either!

hi - we're booked on this cruise also. i know someone who is from romania and he says that constanta is gorgeous! i will have to question him further on what there is to see or do there. he went to school there (not that many years ago!).

holly

Archived