Packing

CanadianMAG

I leave for the start of our honeymoon tomorrow...

what toiletry things should I bring on the cruise? Tylonel, gravel.....

also are there a lot of hangers in the SS class in Zuiderdamn? I we have TONNES of hangining clothes, should we bring hangers?

If you have 'tons' of hanging clothes - you are bringing too many clothes !!:D

Many things could be laid out on shelves and day clothes are casual - shorts, bathing suits, t-shirts. Only need to hang the evening things.

That being said - I pack most of them on the hanger. and just lift out when we unpack. Most of those items just need to fold in half - sideways or longways in the suitcase. Enjoy, MaryAnn:)

michelle, can't help with the hanger question - but since they pack so flat you could probably bring some extras if you wanted. i would echo mary ann's remark - even my ex-wife, who would pack three week's worth of clothing for a one week cruise (with yours truly always getting to schlep around her numerous pieces of luggage) the number of hanging items wasn't that extreme. if they're on a hanger in your bag, reuse that hanger; if they're folded, leave 'em that way until about the time you're ready to wear.

as far as toiletries, i cannot cruise without mass quantities of ibuprofen - to offset the muscle pain brought-about by the sudden change from my otherwise sedentary lifestyle; and to help dull the hangover pain in the mornings.

see you in a few days!

Congratulations! The SS cabin is a great place to spend your honeymoon!

You will prolly take too many clothes, so be careful... there is painfully little drawer space. There are three closets which have fold-down shelves, so you can either hang or stack. There are two big drawers under the bed, but that's where the steward stored the bedding at night. There are lots of wooden hangers, but if you run out your steward will be happy to get more, so don't bother packing any.

You'll be provided with soap, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, which will be replaced as needed. You should bring any analgesics or other stuff you use regularly, as the ship's store as a very limited selection, and are not open on port days or at night.

Have a great cruise!

Candy <-- wonders what the gravel is for

I leave for the start of our honeymoon tomorrow...

what toiletry things should I bring on the cruise? Tylonel, gravel.....

also are there a lot of hangers in the SS class in Zuiderdamn? I we have TONNES of hangining clothes, should we bring hangers?

Have a great cruise!

Candy <-- wonders what the gravel is for

Maybe its a Canadian brand..... you take gravel for montion sickness, upset stomach. I think pregnant people take this too to help with morning sickness (NO I am not pregnant) its good for the motion sickness though.

must be... when you typed gravel i thought of the stones used in unpaved roads. i too couldn't figure-out why you would need gravel on a cruise ship - thanks for the clarification! :p

I was wondering what the gravel was for, too :)

I agree, you dont need to bring hangers, there are plenty (and hooks as well), and if its not enough they will bring you more.

I would add Tums or Roll-Aids, I usually end up with an upset stomach, not from the motion, but from eating richer foods than normal.

Also, the shampoo in the rooms is a combined shampoo/conditioner (not separate conditioner) and I usually find its not enough for my dry hair, so I always bring my own.

Other than that, just what you would normally use at home.

I always bring a portable clock with lighted display, too - since there arent any in the rooms and I cant see my watch in the dark.

I agree, you probably are brining too many clothes and there is limited storage space.

If you do not have extra space in your luggage, bring an extra, folding bag for purchases. Immodium, just in case.

Instead of gravel (Gravol), you could also try Bonamine (Bonine in the U.S.) - it's what I use and it doesn't make me groggy like Gravol does. We always bring along the usual Imodium, Tums (for DH), band-aids, antibiotic ointment and something like Robaxacet for DH's back - it is a great muscle relaxer when his back gives him trouble after a long day of walking on shore excursions. Yes, don't forget your sunscreen - apply it before you go out or you'll be one of the sorrier cruisers!

Don't worry about needing extra hangars, simply ask your cabin steward and you'll have all the hangars you require. I usually just hang our evening wear, then fold and stack our slacks, shorts, t-shirts, polo shirts, etc. Undies go into large zip-lock bags that we can take out one at a time and toss into the laundry bag when we change.

Happy Honeymoon and Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I agree with the cortisone (hydrocortisone 1%) cream, which you will need for insect bites. Also your favorite pain reliever for the unexpected ankle twisting on those uneven streets. Be aware that people with respiratory viruses will be boarding along with you, and you may come down with one of them within a few days. Take an antihistamine that works well for you (Nyquil, Dayquil, for instance).

On our world cruise we had to search far and wide for the generic equivalent cold remedies, paid more than necessary for ibuprofen on an island, and couldn't find a calcium supplement at all across the ocean. Everything else we took along in sufficient quantity.

The body wash liquid supplied on board was flavored with eucalyptus, not my favorite scent, so we went to the ship's shop and bought a different flavor.

They had nice shower caps, many times reusable, which I appreciated and used.

We took our own collapsible laundry hamper, great decision! They supplied hangers, but we were very glad we took all our hangups on our own, so when we got home we just lifted and hung those clothes. Uhhhhhh.... Due to all the purchases in those fantastic shopping ports, we still had to go out and buy five dozen new hangers when we unpacked. Oh, well.

We used Zip-Lic bags for jewelry and receipts for them to make it easy at Customs checkout. That worked well too.

Have a wonderful time and let us know what worked and what didn't.

Slinkie

Consider taking a shoe bag (with pockets) to hang in the bathroom to hang toiletries in. It sure eliminates a lot of clutter. I pick one up at the dollar store each cruise and don't even bother bringing it home. One other health product you might want to consider ... Immodium or something like it. You will be eating a lot of different and rich foods and you never know when it might come in handy. Have a wonderful time on your honeymoon. Make lots of happy memories.

Archived