Luftner River Cruises

malsgal

Interesting, I read on another forum about Viking using similar tactics on the Douro while other 'agencies' were offering cancellations

Yes, that was the gist of my rather long-winded discourse on the other link. The fact that MOST reputable companies either cancelled or gave their guests the choice, we had no choice and total loss of all payments if we went home!

Ah, therein lies the rub.

:

129 booked, but only 81 coming after being offered cancellation

At least THEY did the right thing and offered the choice of cancelling!

Precisely and they moved heaven and earth to keep everyone happy.

We all know that cruisers are professional moaners.... We heard NOT ONE complaint the entire time!

Yes, that was the gist of my rather long-winded discourse on the other link. The fact that MOST reputable companies either cancelled or gave their guests the choice, we had no choice and total loss of all payments if we went home!

Am I correct in assuming from the above threads that Luftner offered their clients a choice to cancel, but Scenic didn't offer their clients the same choice?

As we are constantly told one of the reasons we pay such exorbitant prices for cruising in Australia is Government travel safeguards, have you considered putting your case to the relevant Government Regulatory Body, as you certainly didn't get what you paid for?

Am I correct in assuming from the above threads that Luftner offered their clients a choice to cancel, but Scenic didn't offer their clients the same choice?

As we are constantly told one of the reasons we pay such exorbitant prices for cruising in Australia is Government travel safeguards, have you considered putting your case to the relevant Government Regulatory Body, as you certainly didn't get what you paid for?

Basically, their contract says "We can take you anywhere we want, at our time of choosing, by anyway we want to do, and you get no choice in the matter".

Yes, we are going through the legal path at the moment.

Not sure about Luftner, as they were only the owners and did not have any input to the cruise or not AFAIK.

Basically, their contract says "We can take you anywhere we want, at our time of choosing, by anyway we want to do, and you get no choice in the matter".

Yes, we are going through the legal path at the moment.

Not sure about Luftner, as they were only the owners and did not have any input to the cruise or not AFAIK.

What I meant was, if Luftner gave their clients the option to cancel, and Scenic charters boats from Luftner, Scenic appears to be on very shaky grounds with regard to choosing not to offer their clients the same option to cancel.

I would also like to know if Luftner offers refunds and people actually receive them? I am due to sail on the Brilliance on the 4th October.

On another note I must have been on the same cruise as you MMDownUnder in 2010 MSC. There were so many Qld’s there like us. What a great deal we all received. Also 2003 Superstar Leo.:)

I would also like to know if Luftner offers refunds and people actually receive them? I am due to sail on the Brilliance on the 4th October.

On another note I must have been on the same cruise as you MMDownUnder in 2010 MSC. There were so many Qld’s there like us. What a great deal we all received. Also 2003 Superstar Leo.:)

Meg50, on this thread, said they offered free cancellation.

It is a small world, isn't it, CountessOz! Both those cruises were great deals. Looks like you have a good price on this cruise also. River cruises offered in Australia are so overpriced, I began to doubt I would ever do another one!

Please do a review on your cruise, as Luftner sounds like a good company to cruise with.

Meg50, on this thread, said they offered free cancellation.

It is a small world, isn't it, CountessOz! Both those cruises were great deals. Looks like you have a good price on this cruise also. River cruises offered in Australia are so overpriced, I began to doubt I would ever do another one!

Please do a review on your cruise, as Luftner sounds like a good company to cruise with.

Hi MMDownunder,

You are located in the same city as me!

We did have a representative from Luftner visit us, but they basically said the same things as Scenic/Evergreen. Although Luftner own the ships used by Evergreen, they are only leased from Luftner to Evergreen.

I'm aware that the WiFi, TV system, catering and such is owned by Luftner, and as you can see from my earlier post that -and the entertainment, was not anywhere near 5 stars.

Oh, and as for all the English speaking staff? It leaves a lot to be desired!

Hi MMDownunder,

You are located in the same city as me!

We did have a representative from Luftner visit us, but they basically said the same things as Scenic/Evergreen. Although Luftner own the ships used by Evergreen, they are only leased from Luftner to Evergreen.

I'm aware that the WiFi, TV system, catering and such is owned by Luftner, and as you can see from my earlier post that -and the entertainment, was not anywhere near 5 stars.

Oh, and as for all the English speaking staff? It leaves a lot to be desired!

It is a small world indeed, Marty156.

I would be interested to know what Scenic/Evergreen pay Luftner to lease their ships and services. I suspect it wouldn't be at 5 star level rates, as they advertise for their Scenic ships.

• 1 month later...
I am so excited we received our tickets today. Now what to pack for 5 weeks??? 7 day Scotland trip, 15 day Budapest to Amsterdam, then 7 days around Dalmatian coast. All in 20 kg bag. As a friend of mine would say “First world problems”

:D

what a super vacation! have fun,,,stay safe , we loved Scotland,,, stayed a week in Edinburgh...my grandmother was a McIntosh and I had to go. If you have the chance,,, take the 1 day "cruise" down Loch Ness .... just beautiful!

There is a little Restaurant near the Devil's Stairs... the locks where the tour began, that serves a sampler plate of Haggis... it is quite good.

It is amazing I have eaten snails and frog’s legs in France, Black pudding in London but for some reason I am trying to get the courage to eat Haggis. My husband said it is good and said I should try it. He will not be with me on the Scottish part of the trip he has to go to Hamburg on business. (If I chicken out I will tell a white lie and say it is wonderful) He does not read cruise critic L.O.L.:eek:

• 1 month later...
Anyone recently returned from Luftner European cruise. We are leaving tomorrow for Rhine and Main Journey. How was the ship and tours?:)

I'd be interested if the TV and WiFi work on the ship.

Ours was the Amadeus Silver and I wrote about it previously -but the Luftner ship was leased to Scenic / Evergreen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

As I promised here is a little blog re the Amadeus Brilliance. We arrived at the allocated time but had to wait about ½ hr. in the lounge before we could go to our rooms. (No inconvenience at all as we had a small drink and the view was good)

There are 80% Americans 10% British and some Australians, New Zealanders, Spanish. The crowed are manly a lot older then you usually get in a cruise ship. That does not affect us as we are traveling with friends and we make our own fun anyway.

The rooms are small but adequate. There is not a lot of space for cloths (But then I always over pack). Regards the food it is good and there is plenty of it but I would not call it 5 star. We have a lovely young waiter named Paul who is a delight to deal with. Actually all the staff is very friendly and good.

If there is one complaint it is that you do not get a whole day in any one port. You are only in port for ½ day then sail in the afternoon on most days. Some of the Towns e.g. Rothenburg you could actually spend a week in it is so lovely and quaint.

To sum up the trip so far if you are looking for the high life I would not recommend it, but if you wish to see a glace of Europe and is a sedate way I would highly recommend it for people of 70 especially if you love locks.

The TV coverage is OK the Wi Fi is patchy. It can be VERY frustrating at times.

I do hope the above all makes sense and please do not hesitate to ask questions?

Archived