MSC vs. Costa

wailea4me

How do MSC and Costa compare to each other?

I know that answering your inquiry by linking you to the results of the Cruise Critic Cruisers Choice "all time ratings" poll, I am likely to incur the rididcule of some folks who would prefer that these comparative scores not be brought to light, but nevertheless here they are.

The "all time ratings" of the Cruise Critic Cruisers Choice Poll is a mathematical tabulation of over 90,000 CC members written reveiws. It includes about 225 ships from luxury and mass market lines. It includes all the Costa and MSC ships. It is located here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...l&sort=Highest

Here are the all time ratings for dining: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...g&sort=Highest

Here is the all time rating for entertainment: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...t&sort=Highest

You can sort for service, accommodations, etc.

There are a few threads on this subject over the past few years and they should turn up if you search under Costa.

They have a lot of similarities. Costa is better organised and their Samsara concept on their newer ships is great. I prefer the design, decor and layout of the MSC ships particularly when comparing against the garish Farcus designs of Costa's newer ships. I think the theatre shows and onboard musicians are better on MSC and I also prefer MSC's a la carte restaurantnto Costa - service is much better. Overall though, they have more similarities than differences. Similar itinenaries, similar passenger mix, similar types of menus. Costa slightly pudgier when it comes to trying to sell you something, be it drinks, packages or spa products. For me as a solo traveller, MSC has better deals for singles.

Someone on here said that Costa is an American line with some European features whilst MSC is European catering for European, or words to that effect. I think that is very true.

Evertyhing - food, entertainment, organization, staff attentiveness....

First of all food-entertainment -organization its very much depend of chef-crew-Capitan. On same ship you can have different cruise with different Capitan. Generally to say food on Costa has more variety ,entertainment good on both lines, organization ...probably MSC better ,staff ..really don’t know did not have any problems on any line. I dont minde both lines .MSC ships more elegant Costa more Carnival :rolleyes:.

Before considering Costa, you may want to look at Youtube videos of some of their ships. Just seing the ships on video made me almost go blind.

Those Joe Farcus designs are something else. Never seen so many colours and pattern in the same room until I went on the Costa Favolosa, yet despite all the garishness, still seemed to lack light and be dingy in some places. Sunglasses required inside and out!

The new neoRomantica (not a Farcusndesign thankfully) seems to be the opposite from the videos I've seen. Really elegant and refined.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived