Tropical Storm Sandy (#18) - Webcams

OKCruiseMan

I thought the HHs were going out til later today. Or at least not arriving on site until later. Anyway, projected tracks should be caution to ships at sea now returning on Friday or Saturday through the Bahamas. But if the front from the Northeast grabs it, this will be out into the Atlantic if not gone by Sunday.

On Magic now. Just announced change of itinerary to Key West and Costa Maya. Still stopping at Cozumal so far.

Oh well, new adventure.

Where were you suppose to go? Now you are going to Key West and Costa Maya?

THE DEPRESSION IS LOCATED IN AN ENVIRONMENT THAT IS HIGHLY CONDUCIVE

FOR STRENGTHENING...AT LEAST DURING THE NEXT 36 TO 48 HOURS. IN

FACT...THERE IS A 50/50 CHANCE THAT THE DEPRESSION WILL STRENGTHEN

BY AT LEAST 25 KT DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS BASED ON THE RAPID

INTENSIFICATION INDEX. THEREFORE...THE OFFICIAL FORECAST SHOWS

FAIRLY QUICK STRENGTHENING DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS...AND THE

DEPRESSION COULD BE ON THE CUSP OF BECOMING A HURRICANE AS IT IS

APPROACHING JAMAICA. AFTER 48 HOURS...VERTICAL SHEAR IS EXPECTED

TO INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY...AND NEARLY ALL THE GLOBAL MODELS

SUGGEST THAT THE CYCLONE WILL TAKE ON MORE HYBRID

CHARACTERISTICS...SUCH AS AN EXPANDING WIND FIELD TO THE NORTH AND

ITS INTERACTION WITH A MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL LOW. THE OFFICIAL

FORECAST THEREFORE SHOWS THE CYCLONE BECOMING A SUBTROPICAL STORM

BY DAY 5.

Sounds like it will be more of a problem this week for Jamaica, but maybe just a little rain and wind as it gets to the TCI.

THE AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTERS FOUND A BAND OF SURFACE WINDS NEAR

35 KT OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN QUADRANT OF THE CYCLONE...SO THE SYSTEM

IS BEING NAMED AT THIS TIME. THE ENVIRONMENT SHOULD BE

CHARACTERIZED BY WEAK SHEAR...AND THE STORM WILL BE OVER WARM

WATERS...FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS SO ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS

LIKELY. THE OFFICIAL INTENSITY FORECAST IS SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS

FORECAST AND CLOSE TO THE MODEL CONSENSUS. THIS COULD BE

CONSERVATIVE...HOWEVER...AS THE RAPID INTENSIFICATION INDEX SHOWS A

SIGNIFICANT POSSIBILITY OF RAPID STRENGTHENING DURING THE NEXT DAY

OR SO.

Well, she has a real name now (no longer just #18).

:( I am cruising this weekend to Nassau and CocoCay on Monarch of the Seas. Does RC usually re-route to any particular destination in these situations?

YES, I am on Monarch also and if bad will change to Cozumel. Just have to keep an eye on it.. They will probably know more mid week

Tighten your life jacket honey, it's going to be a bumpy ride...;)

Sorry, I just had to say that again...:D

We leave Miami on NCL SUN Wednesday for 11 nights and have to pass between Cuba and Hispaniola on way to Cartagena. So by Thursday or Friday we should be in the middle of it. Some think we'll traverse the west side of Cuba instead. I'm hoping the captain is a cowboy at heart!

Safe travels space fans...

I can't believe this. I am leaving on the Imagination on Friday. Would they possibly change to Key West instead of the Bahamas?

We're going on the NCL Sky this friday, so we're in the same boat. They have to go to a non-US port during the itinerary, so it's doubtful they will go to Key West. They would have to add Nassau for Sunday to make that work. My guess will be you do get to Nassau (if it continues on it's current cone of probability), though it might be on Sunday with an at-sea on saturday.

YES, I am on Monarch also and if bad will change to Cozumel. Just have to keep an eye on it.. They will probably know more mid week

I don't think they can get to Cozumel and back on a 3-night itinerary. They need a day to get there, and a day to get back, besides the day you are there.

I think all us weekend 3-nighters will make Nassau on sunday, and probably be at-sea saturday (depending on port space in Nassau).

I'm also watching Sandy's track closely. Heading out Saturday on the Ecstasy - supposed to be going to Key West, then hit the Bahamas.

Oh well, even a bumpy ride on a cruise ship is better than being at work :D We'll just roll with whatever happens. I am always aware of this possibility when I book during this time of the year.

I don't think they can get to Cozumel and back on a 3-night itinerary. They need a day to get there, and a day to get back, besides the day you are there.

I think all us weekend 3-nighters will make Nassau on sunday, and probably be at-sea saturday (depending on port space in Nassau).

yea, I think you are right. I think someone told me wrong. They might later later stay in Nassau if possible? I have heard of them doing that. I checked and we were only ship other than Imagination scheduled for Sat..Sun is showing total of 3 ships scheduled to be there..so you never know.. let's how this storm stays away from us...

Sounds like the NWS is saying Sandy will be a hurricane by the time it gets to Jamaica...

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS CONSISTING OF LOW SHEAR...WARM WATERS...

AND A MOIST ATMOSPHERE...FAVOR STRENGTHENING DURING THE NEXT

COUPLE OF DAYS. IN FACT...ALL OF THE INTENSITY MODELS BRING

SANDY TO HURRICANE STRENGTH WITHIN 36 TO 48 HOURS AND SO DOES

THE NHC FORECAST.

Once TS Sandy reaches the mountains of eastern Cuba and crosses to the Bahamas later this week, wind shear will pick up significantly and by Friday/Saturday it'll have a decent probability of being just a sub-tropical system. There still exists a chance that the front moving across the northern US links TS Sandy up with the Jet Stream and pushes it over the north/northeast US. Won't know that until Thursday/Friday. In the meantime, in the mortal words of Doug Addams, "Don't Panic".:eek:

Archived