Tight connection?

FamilyofFourtoAlaska

I have a strong feeling that there is no way you are going to make that flight.

Generally, passengers are assigned luggage tag colors and disembarked according to their ongoing information - early flights first. However, assuming there are no problems overnight and your ship isn't late, if your ship arrives at 8 am, it will take a while for Canadian immigration/customs to clear the ship before any passengers may leave, then you can only leave once your luggage tag color is called. After that, you have to go through several lines (picking up luggage, going through Canadian passport control and then Canadian customs, standing in the taxi line) before you depart Canada Place pier. It's a 25 minute ride to the airport without traffic. Once there, you will go through check-in, US Customs/passport, and security, assuming you have a flight to a US city. We arrived at the airport at 7 am the morning after our cruise for an 8:30 flight and got to the gate at about 7:45 or so, and that was under ideal circumstances - very short lines, no long waits at any given point.

Reschedule that flight if at all possible, 99% chance you'll be taking a later flight anyway!

Are you using ship transfers? With the new US Direct program (which require use of ship transfers), a lot of the customs steps are being streamlined. Our schedule shows Vancouver at 7:30 am. Princess booked me for a noon flight; others in our travel party have 11:00 and 11:30 flights.

Thanks, Time2sail, I meant to include a link but then I got sidetracked. The USDirect info is pretty new. Apparently, it was piloted last year on specific cruises, mostly weekend departures/arrivals. This year, they are expanding it to more itineraries, not sure if all ships/lines are covered.

I purchased my air through Princess and have ship transfers. I'm waiting to get my documents to see what information is included with them. I'm traveling as part of a larger group. My TA has the documents right now; she is waiting for some other group-related goodies to arrive before mailing the whole package out.

Only 3 weeks until I leave for Alaska!

Your agent made a big mistake with your booking and most likely has no knowledge of the time necessary. I too would say your chances of making it are slim at best. International flights still recommend a 2 hour window. You need to allow 30 min. for the cab - you get the idea???

My only advice to you - if you can't do the direct option above- PACK light and haul off ALL your own bags, then leave the ship as soon as it clears. If a long cab line- head upstairs to the Pan Pacific and tip the doorman for a faster cab.

From what I've just researched, US Direct is only for arriving flights/embarking passengers, NOT yet for departing flights/disembarking passengers. but the Onboard Airline Check-In is definitely available (the $15 thing) for leaving Vancouver...we just saw it on Princess but we were leaving the next day.

Archived