Iguaza Falls NOW I FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT

Anniesails

I recently booked a SA cruise including the 5 day precruise to the Falls on Princess, we were so happy with the trip booking but then I starting reading the boards. Were we foolish not to do the falls on our own, we are staying in Cataractas Hotel on the Brazil side. Do you think this land part is worth booking with Princess??

It depends what you are comfortable with. We will do it on our own in Feb.

Great answer. I agree 100%.

If the OP is an independent traveler, it is possible to book an excursion on your own for less money. If not, go with Princess. Either way, get ready for to view one of the world's great wonders.

There is an added advantage with Princess....if there are delays getting to the ship, Princess assumes responsibility for flying you to the next port. Not so if you are on your own.

Great answer. I agree 100%.

If the OP is an independent traveler, it is possible to book an excursion on your own for less money. If not, go with Princess. Either way, get ready for to view one of the world's great wonders.

There is an added advantage with Princess....if there are delays getting to the ship, Princess assumes responsibility for flying you to the next port. Not so if you are on your own.

This can be an issue depending on which airline you fly. Aerolineas Argentinas is often unreliable and a late arrival is a distinct possibility. However, if you have the time, it's very easy to visit the falls on your own without a formal tour.

This can be an issue depending on which airline you fly. Aerolineas Argentinas is often unreliable and a late arrival is a distinct possibility. However, if you have the time, it's very easy to visit the falls on your own without a formal tour.

I agree. I have visited Iguazu on my own four times...after twice booking through a travel agency.

re: Aerolines....

LAN is a much more reliable carrier in terms of fewer cancellations and delays....but LAN is prone to changing its flight times schedules, which makes it difficult to book months in advance with any reasonable assurance that your flight will depart at the time scheduled when you pay for your ticket. Welcome to Argentina.

Even if you "do the falls on your own" you'll likely want to book tours locally, to go to the Argentine side, to maybe take the raft trip below the falls, etc, as some suggest above. Easy to walk from the Hotel das Cataratas to see the falls, but other places you really need transport. When we went, many years ago (and not part of a cruise), we had everything arranged beforehand but it was, of course, local tour outfits who conducted the tours. The hotel can arrange them, I'm sure. Probalby want to contact them in advance.

A quick thanks to Dr__Dawggy for the reminder about LAN. We had booked our flight to Iguazu some months ago. When I read Dr's post about LAN I decided to check our reservation. Sure enough everything had changed! Our original flight from B.A. to Iguazu had been canceled and the return flight was at a different time than originally booked. Of course, LAN had never notified us. Fortunately I was able to call LAN and re-book on another departing flight and reconfirm our reservations. You can be sure I'll check LAN again before we leave on our cruise and even when we arrive in B.A.!

A quick thanks to Dr__Dawggy for the reminder about LAN. We had booked our flight to Iguazu some months ago. When I read Dr's post about LAN I decided to check our reservation. Sure enough everything had changed! Our original flight from B.A. to Iguazu had been canceled and the return flight was at a different time than originally booked. Of course, LAN had never notified us. Fortunately I was able to call LAN and re-book on another departing flight and reconfirm our reservations. You can be sure I'll check LAN again before we leave on our cruise and even when we arrive in B.A.!

Not being notfied is s.o.p. with many airlines. I had a domestic flight on TAM when I learned about a change in time because I happened to check. Always a good idea. With any airline in the world. Years ago, people were often required to check in and confirm a flight 24 hours in advance. No, often not the case, and people have been surprised upon arrivng at the airport and finding the flight time has changed. Check Flyertalk.com boards and see just how many people complain about not being notified. Right or wrong, the flyer must keep informed.

Edited by Fattony

Yes, so true. And I would have checked anyway about a month before our departure (still will!) but I guess I've become spoiled...I usually get updates from other airlines. For example, our international flights are on American and we received an email from them a couple of weeks ago with changes in flight times and I guess they changed equipment too because they changed our seat assignments (to very undesirable seats) I quickly called and changed our seats back to where we wanted them.

• 2 years later...
Does anyone here know if it's worth the $450US to stay inside the park at the Sheraton? If not where to stay? Thanks June

Worth is up to you to decide. (Pro: if you get up early or sunset is late, you have the park to yourself. Con: isolated, away from more food choices and any nightlife. Expensive. Not luxury.)

If you don't stay IN the park, there are taxis and local buses to get you easily back and forth from town.

Certainly there are plenty of places to stay, in a range of prices, in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, the nearby (about 10 miles from the park) town. Try booking.com to start. And more places still in larger Foz do Iguacu, the city on the Brazil side, just 40 minutes or so away.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Can't tell you how much help you and others are being in helping us make plans to visit the Falls. Please continue with suggestions. I don't have any firm plans yet except I really want to visit the Falls! I know the Brazil side has the best views but I wonder if it is worth the extra expense of getting visas, etc.

Thanks again......Joanne

Does anyone here know if it's worth the $450US to stay inside the park at the Sheraton? If not where to stay? Thanks June

The big selling point is the convenience and savings in time. If you want other options, research hotels in Puerto Iguazu (perhaps on TripAdvisor).

I don't have any firm plans yet except I really want to visit the Falls! I know the Brazil side has the best views but I wonder if it is worth the extra expense of getting visas, etc.

Well, if you look at it as U$160 (US citizens) for 3 hours of walking and taking photos, maybe it doesn't sound like such a great value. However, the Brazilian side of the park has some unique features, including the iconic views for most photos you see online. There is a place where you can stand right next to a huge fall of water to feel its power. You can go out on a walkway on a plateau into the middle of the river, with a falls above you and one below. And one of the highlights of a trip can be the Bird Park, particularly the house where the macaws and parrots can approach you. The helipad for scenic flights over the falls is on the Brazil side. And since the Brazilian visa is good for 10 years, consider it an invitation for another trip to further explore the rich Brazilian culture, historical sights and spectacular natural areas. You've come all that way to see the falls.......explore all the possibilities while you're there.

Can't tell you how much help you and others are being in helping us make plans to visit the Falls. Please continue with suggestions. I don't have any firm plans yet except I really want to visit the Falls! I know the Brazil side has the best views but I wonder if it is worth the extra expense of getting visas, etc.

Thanks again......Joanne

We recently spent 1 day on the Argentine side, 1/2 day on the Brazilian side. At 2x$160 plus whatever the tour cost (it was part of a package we arranged), I would say that the Brazilian side is worth it. But I would NOT say that those are the best views. It is just that they are different. The trails and viewing options on the Brazilian side are quite limited compared to the Argentine side, which is why 1/2 day is ok.

Argentine Side (sample):

p188635573-3.jpg

Brazilian Side (sample):

p318035856-3.jpg

For additional views check here: h ttp://photos.stanhalpin.com/p32139821

We are going on a South American cruise this December, beginning in Buenos Aires, and before our cruise we are going to the Falls for 2 days, staying at the Sheraton. I was not going to go to the Brazilian side because of the hassle and expense of getting a visa, just for the 4 or so hours that most say is all you need to see the Falls from that side. However, finding out that visas are valid for 10 years and we are planning on going on an Amazon cruise in late 2016 or 2017, I want to go ahead and get our visas now, so that I can go to the Brazilian side of the Falls.

My question is this: Our passports expire in the summer of 2017. If I get our visas now they will be stamped on our current passports, which won't be the passports we'll be using if we travel in late 2017. I have not been able to find out if the visas would be transferred to the new passports, or if I would have to get new visas. Does anyone know the answer?:confused:

Thank you!!

Neither of those options.

No, somewhat inconveniently, you have to carry both passports, the valid-for-use US one and the old one with the Brazilian visa. Unless you want to pay for new visas to avoid that inconvenience.

(I'm in the same situation right now, applying for a new US passport with visa in soon-expiring old one. Last time I confronted this situation, visas were much cheaper and I chose to get a new one in the new passport.)

However, once in country, you should be walking around with only a Xerox copy of the relevant pages, not either/both passports (left in hotel safe), so the inconvenience is rather minor.

And just FYI, you need at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport in order to apply for a Brazilian visa. (because you can legally stay in Brazil for 6 months)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! I will go ahead and get the visa now, so I can have the option to go to the Brazilian side of the Falls. And I am leaning towards taking the Amazon cruise Nov 2016, so our passports will still be valid - and will be valid for just over 6 months after our departure. Seems we're good to go!:D

We did the Falls (both sides) in January. Wont comment on whether or not you should do it on your own. We organised to do it with a tour company before we left Australia therefore we had transfers and everything arranged. Yes it probably was more expensive but we had a lot of peace of mind and also I believe we benefited from our guides etc 'knowing the ropes' at immigration etc. crossing borders. We stayed at the Saint George Hotel in Puerto Iguazu. Supposed to be a top hotel in this town but well not by Australian standards it isn't.

Personally though I would not miss out on doing the Brazil side. IMHO we thought this was as good if not better than the Argentinian side. The Falls was one of our top experiences on our South American cruise/holiday. Would not have missed it for anything. Just incredible.:)

We are definitely doing both sides of the Falls - without a guide, as it is easy to do on your own. The expense is getting the visa for Brazil (especially if just for a 4 hour visit) but since it is valid for 10years, and we're going to Brazil within that time frame, it turns out not to be expensive after all! :D

We are spending one night on the Argentinian side at the Sheraton in the Park, and one night at the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas on the Brazilian side, also in the Park; this way we are guaranteed to have a complete experience of the Falls!

• 1 month later...
We are going on a South American cruise this December, beginning in Buenos Aires, and before our cruise we are going to the Falls for 2 days, staying at the Sheraton. I was not going to go to the Brazilian side because of the hassle and expense of getting a visa, just for the 4 or so hours that most say is all you need to see the Falls from that side. However, finding out that visas are valid for 10 years and we are planning on going on an Amazon cruise in late 2016 or 2017, I want to go ahead and get our visas now, so that I can go to the Brazilian side of the Falls.

My question is this: Our passports expire in the summer of 2017. If I get our visas now they will be stamped on our current passports, which won't be the passports we'll be using if we travel in late 2017. I have not been able to find out if the visas would be transferred to the new passports, or if I would have to get new visas. Does anyone know the answer?:confused:

Thank you!!

My personal experience: I applied for and received a Brazilian tourist visa in January 2009 that was good for five years. My passport expired in August 2010, and when I applied for a new one, I had remarrried so the family name in the new passport did not match that on the Brazilian tourist visa. I didn't think much of it at the time, but we found ourselves on another cruise calling at various ports in Brazil in January 2013.....

Before applying for another Brazilian tourist visa, I thought to call the Brazilian Consulate in Boston. The representative there assured me that the visa issued in 2009 was still valid, and all I needed to do was bring along a raised seal copy of the marriage license to show at check in. She followed up with an email outlining what she had told me on the telephone. When we checked in for the cruise, I tendered the old passport with the Brazilian tourist visa, the marriage license, the new passport, and the email--and copies of each of those: I was good to go with no questions questions!

My personal experience.......Before applying for another Brazilian tourist visa, I thought to call the Brazilian Consulate in Boston. The representative there assured me......

DeeDee, you seem to have been pretty lucky. :-) You're the first person I've ever heard of to have their phone call to the Consulate answered. They usually don't answer their published number.