Cruise line with no kids permitted?

rmptoo

We're about to take our first cruise and were interested in one without people's kids running around. No offense, we just want to enjoy a cruise without the interference I've read about on message boards.

Do such cruises exist? i.e. over 21 only cruises?

Thanks!

rmptoo,

There is a thread on the Floataway Lounge called, "Child-free Cruisers Welcomed Here", that will have alot of suggestions for you to make a good selection on a cruiseline that has what you need. Please come join us!

Bottle_and_glasses.gif

"Live Well, Love Much,

Laugh Often"

I don't think any major cruise line has a no children at all policy. Some do an occasional cruise with no children under a certain age allowed. Some of the smaller cruise lines may have a minimum age limit but again I'm not sure which ones. The thread mentioned above may supply you that information.

We have been on ships with a relatively high number of kids and have never been bothered much by them. Most cruise lines have pretty good youth programs and keep them pretty busy and away from many areas on the ship.

Have a great next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

I will suggest never to sail during the summer. I found that when we sailed in September there was no more then 35 kids under 18 sailing that week.

I have never experienced a lot of kids onboard at any time when we cruised during that week.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

If you cruise on a line that's more adult oriented, like Holland America, and you don't book your cruise for peak kids seasons like spring break, summer, and the holidays, you should be OK.

Others factors are length of cruise and destination. Families tend not to do cruises over 7 days, and places like Canada/NE and Asia don't attract children either.

Personally, I can deal with about 35-50 children onboard and that's it.

Roz

Celebrity has about four cruises per year that are child free, but beyond that, there are no US based cruise lines that offer kid free cruising. The luxury lines like Crystal, Seabourn and Radisson don't have many, if any, kids on their sailings if you cruise outside of the summer months. Summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas, President's Week in February and Spring Break will have most all the ships crowded with kids. I try and cruise in late January and that has been the best for kid free cruises. On Celebrity Summit on a 10 day cruise, there were a grand total of 4 kids. Also, the longer the cruise, the fewer the kids.

Darcie

I don't know about completely kids-free, but Princess limits the number of children allowed on each sailing. Also - some of their exotic cruises do not allow children under a certain age. I think if you cruise when school is in session you will be fine!

Voyager of the Seas - 05/04

Tahitian Princess - 10/03 (Our Honeymoon)

Carnival Paradise - 08/02

I tend to differ w/ last answer. We thought by sailing in Jan. So. Caribbean there would be hardly any kids: NOT! There were a lot of kids on Serenade. We have found that October tends to be the least.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  'til Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;1;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  'til Mariner of the Seas

<MARQUEE>"If We Weren't All Crazy We'd Go Insane"<MARQUEE>

As others have mentioned, cruising in the Fall is a good time if you want to take a more "adult only" cruise. In addition to the cruise lines already mentioned, you may want to look at Windstar Cruises. They indicate on their web site and other literature that children are "not encouraged" and that they do not provide programs/entertainment for children. Also, based upon various posts on other areas of these message boards you will find it is pretty much an adult-oriented cruise line. However, the cruise experience is much different. They have small ships with the largest one carrying only 308 passengers. So, if you are looking for a big ship for your first cruise then you likely should look at one of the mainstream lines.

Originally posted by caribbeancats:

I tend to differ w/ last answer. We thought by sailing in Jan. So. Caribbean there would be hardly any kids: NOT! There were a lot of kids on Serenade. We have found that October tends to be the least.

QUOTE]

Most colleges have off the entire month of January, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of young people. I am surprised to hear about a lot of "kids" - that is one of my pet peeves - people pulling their kids out of school to go cruising, but it definitely happens!

The parents may not have pulled them out of school, depending on when in January. Here schools that are on the year round schedule do not return from winter break until after Martin Luther King Jr. Day which is usually the 3rd week of January.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;04;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Sovereign of the Seas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bplazo:

We always sail in September. Hardly any children at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew-glad to hear it!

j.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;09;11;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

9/11 Alaska Southbound Island Princess

Celebrity definitely offers several adults only sailings per year and I have also found fewer children on Celebrity ships in general.

I wish RCI would offer us some options for chilkd free cruising as well. There are a good number of land based resorts that are adults only and they are quite popular so the market is there. One day perhaps cruise lines will take a lesson from them.

RCI(37),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

We did a Celebrity adults only cruise shortly after they were offered. It actually was very nice - however, I never really noticed the children on board our other Celebrity cruises.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

In response to the person who commented about cruising in January and having lots of kids, I think the answer lies with where you were cruising from. If the Serenade left from San Juan, you know that RCCI has a special program for the Puerto Ricans that offer cabins for $300 per person if the cruise isn't sold out 10 days before the cruise. We experienced that on the Adventure in 2003 when we sailed from San Juan. Tons of families from San Juan and Ponce PR. But on our other late January cruises that left out of Florida, we've never, ever had more than 10 to 15 kids on board. Colleges are back by mid-January and the elementary and high school kids are back the first week of Jan, so in our 10 or so cruises during January, we don't see many kids at all---not even infants.

Darcie

Here is the schedule for Celebrity's 2004 "Escape Cruises." Adults Only.

Zenith June 5, 2004 7 Night Bermuda from New York

Century June 5, 2004 7 Night Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale

Infinity July 4, 2004 7 Night Alaska from Vancouver

Mercury December 27, 2004 New Years 11 Night Mexican Riviera from San Diego

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Returned from a 16 day cruise on 05/02/2004 and I saw a total of 4 kids. Later, I heard that there was a total of 15 on the ship of 1,500 passengers.

Nordic Prince

Song of America

Sovereigns of the Seas

Song of America

Ecstasy

Millennium

Grand Princess

Majesty of the seas

You are less likely to run into large numbers of children on longer cruises, no matter which line you choose. Look into 10-day cruises or longer.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

In Nov 2002 5-20 Nov 2002 did a Panamal Canal cruise from San Fran to FLL. One nine year old girl on board. Her school ran all year and it was her three weeks off. Her was spoiled by the staff. So were we.

I agree with above posters, if you want very few children go when they are in school and the longer cruises. Princess does limit number of children as well, good luck.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by karen_cpa:

I am surprised to hear about a lot of "kids" - that is one of my pet peeves - people pulling their kids out of school to go cruising, but it definitely happens!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because there are school-age kids on the ship, doesn't mean they were "pulled out of school." Our school system is on a 9 weeks on/1 week off schedule next year... a week off in October. Some have a 9 on/2 off schedule.

We happen to homeschool our middle school age children and though we have not pulled them out to go on a cruise, if we were to take a vacation, we might opt to do it in the middle of the school year when places are less crowded. One of the many freedoms of schooling at home!

Zazzy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;08;30;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100  until our virgin cruise Westerdam 8/30/04

zazzy - i certainly understand your point about different school schedules. however, i can not tell you how many parents think nothing of pulling their kids out of school (i teach high school math). it is truly one of the most annoying things as a teacher. if the parents is pro-active and gets the childs work up front, there is usually no issue. however, there is nothing more disruptive to a classroom than little johnny returning from his 2-week vacation and holding up the rest of the class. that was just the point i was trying to make icon_smile.gif

I would love to take an Adults cruise only.Like the Infinity July 4th sailing van. to Alaska.

However for example my wife booked the August 8th sailing on the serenade for my 50th birthday. I just know it will be crawling with kids.

I also took the Grandeur of the Seas in Jan .....tons of kids .I guess they don't go to school anymore.

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived