Australians travelling to the USA

It seems like the 28 degree card gets defrauded more than most. I thought that a few weeks ago, before this thread existed. Of course there are other frauds with other cards but all the posts in this thread relate to this one!

Did any of you use RIL or shareashoreexcursion in Italy? Or use booking dot com as a booking site?

I wouldn't say that..... they all get done to a degree..... I think because we all use this card overseas there is more instances of fraud happening overseas atm. It is getting worse in Australia too and I know I was very careful, but still had it happen to me. What is good about 28 degrees is there is no proving the transaction wasn't yours, they take care of it and before you know it the money is back in your account.

My husband and I have a 28 degrees account each, and then we both are an additional cardholder for each others. So we physically have four cards between us. We load one up with cash to use in ATMs and use the other solely for credit card purchases. That way we don't have to worry our purchases taking money from our cash to spend.

I was in Fiji a couple of weeks ago and had to pay an ATM fee from the machine with my 28 degrees. That was with an ANZ atm. The Westpac machine at our hotel also had a sign saying they charged a fee but I couldn't quite work out whether we would be charged and didn't want to withdraw any more money to try it out. Previously in Fiji there have been no ATM operator fees.

We have had no problems with fraud on our 28 degrees card but have had with our ANZ ones. We take a few different cards with us so we shouldn't have a problem if one card fails. Of course it is more cards to worry about.

I wouldn't say that..... they all get done to a degree..... I think because we all use this card overseas there is more instances of fraud happening overseas atm. It is getting worse in Australia too and I know I was very careful' date=' but still had it happen to me. What is good about 28 degrees is there is no proving the transaction wasn't yours, they take care of it and before you know it the money is back in your account.[/quote']

Yes. I was thinking it was the fact that we use it overseas that opens to risk. Trouble is, I hadn't left Australia when it happened. Our nab card was hacked by a uk betting agency and nab was useless. We contacted them as soon as we saw the transaction online and they told us we would have to cancel the account with the betting agency. We didn't have a frigging account with the agency. It was like nab refused to think their card could be defrauded! It was reversed but next month it happened again. We asked nab to cancel the card but they tried to talk us out of it. Hopeless.

Spent 8 weeks in the US including a Caribbean cruise last Christmas.

Used prepaid Travelcards at EFTPOS terminals in the US no charges at all during use. You pay a little when you purchase it depends where you purchase.

The Charges with your credit cards depends on what brand and bank you are using.

Took Travellers cheques prepay some of your account on board on Day 1 , the balance went to the credit card post the cruise. They will exchange travellers cheques for cash on Board. Well Celebrity did.

Withdrawals at ATM's using your debit card fine in the US.

USD taken at most ports I recall, look up the port guides with your cruise company online it tells you the currencies accepted.:):)

• 7 months later...

The OP is back!

Thank you all so much for your help. 28 Degrees is the way to go. With the Aussie $$ lowering I'm keen to pre-pay what I can now giving me today's rate than the unknown next Feb (there are predictions it will go as low as 85c!)

Question, our trip will be for our honeymoon - I want to apply for the card now, does it matter whether i apply in my current name? Will it be a hassle to change names on the card down the track? Or shall I simply get future DH to apply in his name?

OR it is best for it to be in our both names?

Question, our trip will be for our honeymoon - I want to apply for the card now, does it matter whether i apply in my current name? Will it be a hassle to change names on the card down the track? Or shall I simply get future DH to apply in his name?

It's possible to change but you'll need to provide your marriage certificate, possibly certified before they re-send to you. It's more hassle than not having to change your name, but up to you whether that's preferable to any other arrangement.

For me, I'd probably get the fiance to get the card now, then apply when you have your name changed.

Why dont you both apply for the card so that you have two cards and use one for cash which you load onto it and one as a cc. And then we you get married apply for an additional cardholder of your DH to be!!! You will then have three cards!!!

Who is going to stop you using a card that you have a pin for, ie. who will ask you to prove who you are? Nobody can stop you using a card issued in your maiden name as some women dont change their name after they are married anyway. Best of both worlds!

I think the name on your passport might be more of an issue than credit cards. Remember that flight bookings and passport MUST match.

But you can't get your passport name changed immediately. Our daughter recently came across this issue. She understood that she wouldn't have a passport in her married name for her honeymoon, but she was going to USA for work several weeks after that and couldn't get a new passport in time. She had to travel using her maiden name.

It will be simpler if you have your flight bookings and passport in your maiden name, although I understand that you would much prefer to use your married name.:)

I've been married 4 years and still travel in my maiden name, I never bothered changing my passport when we got married. It doesn't bother me, but it was funny last year when we were in business class and the attendants came around to introduce themselves. We got "Hello Mr X and ah... Miss Y" :confused:. Then a knowing glance at hubby's wedding ring and my missing one. I think they figured I was on holiday with him while his wife was back home! :p

Hi all,

I spent 4 weeks in the US, Bahamas, Carribbean Islands and Fiji late last year. I used an ANZ travel card and was more than happy with it. This is a great travel card as you only use YOUR money, and if you are planning well in advance (like I do) I can save spending money for my trip in the months leading up to it by putting the money directly on the card.

You can used the ANZ Travel card as a normal Visa card (so wherever Visa is accepted - so you can use it on a cruise ship), or as a normal ATM card as well. You set up a PIN on it. You get two cards, so have a back up as well. You dont need to bank at ANZ either to get the card. There is transaction fees when you load money up to the card, but none when used as a Visa card overseas. These cards are set up in whatever currency you want - we obviously used the US Dollar, so the exchange rate from AUD to USD is at the time you load the money on the card, not at the time you spend it.

Here is the link http://www.travel.anz.com/

I also used one of their "Cash Packs" as it was just easier to arrange it beforehand rather than rushing around the airport at the last second to pick up cash from Travelex.

Cheers,

Rebecca

It's possible to change but you'll need to provide your marriage certificate, possibly certified before they re-send to you. It's more hassle than not having to change your name, but up to you whether that's preferable to any other arrangement.

For me, I'd probably get the fiance to get the card now, then apply when you have your name changed.

This does sound like the easiest. I have now realised that I may be able to use my Meal & Entertainment benefits through work whilst traveling. If I use the 28 degrees for things were I can & it's in DH's name, I"m unable whether I will be able to be reimbursed because the card is not in my name.

My head hurts :/

Why dont you both apply for the card so that you have two cards and use one for cash which you load onto it and one as a cc. And then we you get married apply for an additional cardholder of your DH to be!!! You will then have three cards!!!

Who is going to stop you using a card that you have a pin for, ie. who will ask you to prove who you are? Nobody can stop you using a card issued in your maiden name as some women dont change their name after they are married anyway. Best of both worlds!

There have been many reports of the 28 degrees card being frozen due to it being used as a debit card so I don't want to take my chances. I've found Citibank offers a transaction account (so, debit) which has NO fees - withdrawal, transaction, conversion, annual,nothing. So looking to get that set up so withdraw from o/s whilst using the 28 purely as a credit card.

I think the name on your passport might be more of an issue than credit cards. Remember that flight bookings and passport MUST match.

It will be simpler if you have your flight bookings and passport in your maiden name, although I understand that you would much prefer to use your married name.:)

All travel has been booked in my maiden name - so I'm prepared on that front ;)

This does sound like the easiest. I have now realised that I may be able to use my Meal & Entertainment benefits through work whilst traveling. If I use the 28 degrees for things were I can & it's in DH's name, I"m unable whether I will be able to be reimbursed because the card is not in my name.

My head hurts :/

Typically the main requirement is the receipt. The conversion is often not required, or you can show the conversion from an extract of the statement just showing the transaction (rather than having to hand over the whole statement with the account holder name). Sometimes spending can only be put through on the corporate credit card though.

Best a question for your HR department. :-)

For my next trip to the USA I am using a combination of cards.

I am using a CommBank Travel Money Card for all the bookings I have made that won't accept payment upfront.

I have a Travelex Money Card for Spending Money.

I have Cash for tips etc.

Most importantly - I have purchased onboard credit for Cruising and should the line require any more money upfront, I will be using CASH.

I have cruised previously in the US. My friend used her regular credit card (Visa) and the line (R-Cab) deducted money from her account daily - and then put that same amount ON HOLD. So she was essentially charged double!

It took the bank 3 weeks to release the hold, by which time we were back at home. My friend and I lived off 2 minute noodles for the rest of the trip, as I had to halve the rest of my money with her until she got home and got it sorted!! It was NOT FUN, especially not when you are on a budget!!

So, on my most recent US cruise - we put down cash. We only had to pay a $100 deposit per person, and was refunded on the last night of the cruise. After we were done for the evening, we went to guest services - there was no line at that time of night - and had our account closed. They refunded us the difference in cash on the spot, and it was very effortless and pain free.

I will now be doing this for all future cruises! I will take the peace of mind knowing my card does not have a hold on it and I don't have to worry about it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived