Wish I had thought of that....

firstplacechef

For those that have cruised the Seine in late December, what is your "I wish I had thought of that" moment? Just read about something to cover or waterproof shoes due to melting slush/snow. I'm from the south and not used to those conditions. I assume dressing in layers is a must too. TIA, Scott

I live in FL and cannot comment on Seine but have visited Europe in late December a good number of times and will be arriving this year on 22 December.

I pack waterproof boots and long down coat, ear muffs, hat, gloves and scarves. I bring a set of silk long underwear just in case.

Travel umbrella in case of rain.

Dress in layers.

As a female, I have noticed that my skin is always dry in winter as I am not used to the temps. I slather on hand and body cream and carry a tube of shea butter hand cream with me at all times. Also lip balm and face moisturizer. They have wonderful products there so I often wait and purchase favorite brands upon arrival. I just love the apothecaries in Europe.

My purse is a cross body flat messenger style that is also waterproof, to protect my papers/phone/etc.

I also pack a supply of EmergenC, a packet of vitamins with lots of Vitamin C. I drink it daily to prevent colds.

If you have space - a spare pair of shoes is a good idea. If your shoes get wet, you will have another pair to put on while the first pair dries.

As mentioned in another thread - take tissue paper and bubble wrap to protect any fragile items you purchase. If you don't use all of your supplies, I am sure that someone will take them off your hands.

Also - make sure you take a carry-on bag. If you don't usually use one - or use a small one - it would help to pack one that can carry more items. It would be risky to put fragile items in your checked luggage if you can figure out how to get them into your carry-on --> you have more control that way.

Fran

My experience (at that season) is not northern France, but Germany. Same thing as we went to Paris straight after.

I agree spare pair of shoes, and like you, we have NEVER seen snow where I live, cold a "brisk morning", so I would say spare thermals and a longer line warm jacket, not just to the waist, but down to the thighs or better still the knee. It can feel much colder to those of us who never see really cold weather, just as those from the Northern Hemisphere don't do well in our summers when they visit!

When I was in Paris in 2010 in Dec, layers worked fine. I used a hooded raincoat with a zip-out lining-it really did drizzle that visit more than rain so the hood was good for up and down. Cardigans and shells are also good for layering. My blood has thinned out since my long ago youth in the colder northeast but Paris and Northern France was not that cold in Dec when I went despite the snow-it was usually in the 40s by afternoon.

For me, shoes were the biggest issue since I live in Florida now and have no need for boots. I had a pair of Aerosole high tie-up shoes with rubber soles and a pair of ecco sneakers. Both came close to getting wet but did not but if the snow had gotten any deeper on the morning that it snowed until about 11 before turning to slush, I would have had very wet feet. For my upcoming trip to Europe in Dec, I am taking waterproof high shoes and that was my wish I had thought of that for my Seine trip-and more time of course!

For me, shoes were the biggest issue since I live in Florida now and have no need for boots. I had a pair of Aerosole high tie-up shoes with rubber soles and a pair of ecco sneakers. Both came close to getting wet but did not but if the snow had gotten any deeper on the morning that it snowed until about 11 before turning to slush, I would have had very wet feet. For my upcoming trip to Europe in Dec, I am taking waterproof high shoes and that was my wish I had thought of that for my Seine trip-and more time of course!

We live in FL as well and now have a wardrobe of winter wear just for trips to Europe in Nov. and Dec. That is when we prefer to go for several reasons and it is fun to bring out the winter clothes and boots.:)

Zappos is always a lifesaver. When we had 22 inches of snow during our Christmas market trip in 2010 and had cold and wet feet for most of it, I ordered several boot style and brands for both DH and I. We found a brand we really like and they are now making our third trip with us this year.

Happy feet are so important!

We're in Budapest ahead of our boat trip and are already hitting 41 degree temps as the high and heavy rain this morning. Tomorrow's high is 37 with a low of 27 so it's really cutting into our outdoor time even with good coats and shoes. We've been hunting for HOT chocolate but so far it's all been served medium warm - tasty but it needs to be steaming! We're wishing all of you well with December travels - the Seine is lovely so dress warm and enjoy!

We're in Budapest ahead of our boat trip and are already hitting 41 degree temps as the high and heavy rain this morning. Tomorrow's high is 37 with a low of 27 so it's really cutting into our outdoor time even with good coats and shoes. We've been hunting for HOT chocolate but so far it's all been served medium warm - tasty but it needs to be steaming! We're wishing all of you well with December travels - the Seine is lovely so dress warm and enjoy!

Riversanddale, I hope you still get to enjoy all the beauty and culture offered in Budapest, despite the rain. We had similar cold weather last November while in Budapest but were fortunate to have it be totally dry and plenty sun. I hope at least the rain stops for you to out and about. Cold is much more tolerable if it is a dry cold, minus the rain. One suggestion if you are interested is to do the indoor tour of the Budapest Opera House, it is beautiful and "indoors"! Have a wonderful trip. There is also a very good Hungarian restaurant only about 1-2 blocks from the Opera House that is visited by the locals and quite delicious, it is called "Menza". Served great, hot soup for Lunch which would be good in cold, rainy weather.

Archived