Zuiderdam or Westerdam

HMAN

I'm currently booked on the Zuiderdam in November 05 but I'm having reservations. I've been reading all of the posts for the last week and I know that the Zuiderdam is being drydocked in December. Should I change ships??????

Is the Westerdam in better shape????

I did want to go to St. Thomas more than St. Maarteen but if I'm on a better ship then I'll change.

Please help with some info.

Harry.

Westerdam is the newest of the Vista class ships and IMO has the most pleasing decor. It was launched in April of 2004. We spent 30 days on her last year and enjoyed it very much.

The Zuiderdam is almost identical but a bit older with, IMO, a decor that's not as pleasing as the Westerdam's.

I think you'll enjoy either ship. We much prefer St. Maarten to St. Thomas, however.

We're going on the Westerdam in Nov. I am hoping it's in a little better shape than the Zuiderdam was last week!

It's my understanding that the Westerdam is actually an older ship that was refurbished, with a new middle section added.

Oceanwench, I think you have the Westerdam confused with the Prinsendam, which used to be a Royal Viking ship. The Westerdam is a new Vista class ship. We were on her last December and had a wonderful time.

Roberta

Oceanwench, I think you have the Westerdam confused with the Prinsendam, which used to be a Royal Viking ship. The Westerdam is a new Vista class ship. We were on her last December and had a wonderful time.

Roberta

I was told this by a passenger who had been on the Westerdam, and also by a crew member [b/c I was not sure the passenger was correct].

The passenger who gave me the information had a Westerdam ball cap on -- that was what prompted me to ask him about his experiences on that ship.

I also thought the Westerdam was a brand new ship.

But these two people insisted it was not!

:confused:

I think the previous Westerdam had been lengthened. But the current Westerdam is just over a year old.

We were on the second regular sailing in May of 2004, and also on the Barcelona to FLL crossing last November. A great, comfortable, beautiful ship!

Tedc is correct, the old Westerdam was lengthened by having a mid-ship section added to her in 1990. She was a great ship in her time, but sadly has been sold. The Westerdam the Oceanwench sailed on is the new Westerdam and was launched in 2004.

I haven't sailed on her yet -- not for almost 6 months.

But thanks for the explanation!

I thought the Westerdam was brand new, but this one passenger insisted it was not, just a refurbished older ship. So I figured he knew more about it than I did -- since he had sailed on her! ;)

When a crew member agreed [maybe he thought I was talking about the "old" Westerdam too], then I was sure I was the one who was wrong about it being a new ship.

Glad people here set me straight!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A friend and I are trying to decide which ship to take for a

late summer/fall cruise. I've read some nice things about the

Westerdam and some not so nice things.

Can anyone tell me of their experience - good and bad?

We want to take a Western Mediterranean cruise Barcelona, and so on. Something is giving me hesitation about theWesterdam. How was food? nightlife? shows? pools?

Any advice will be appreciated

Mahya:confused:

The Westerdam is a very nice ship. I would reccomend it over the Zuiderdam. It is newer and the color scheme is much more elegant and not so "flashy" than on the Zuiderdam. The Zui is not in terrible shape, it just has the standard wear from a few years of cruising. I'd strongly reccomend the Westerdam. Get a suite if you can, as they are fabulous on these ships.

Hi,

A friend and I are trying to decide which ship to take for a

late summer/fall cruise. I've read some nice things about the

Westerdam and some not so nice things.

Can anyone tell me of their experience - good and bad?

We want to take a Western Mediterranean cruise Barcelona, and so on. Something is giving me hesitation about theWesterdam. How was food? nightlife? shows? pools?

Mahya:confused:

We thoroughly enjoyed both our Westerdam cruises last year and I think you will also.

The food was only somewhat fattening and the shows were mostly entertaining. I only use the aft pool, which is smallish, but I usually had it all to myself. Nightlife? All I can say is that it was great in my cabin.

TedC-Love your thoughts on entertainment in the cabin..couldn't agree with you more!!!! Hey guys & gals,my wife & I are booked in an "S" suite for Thanksgiving week.My wife's boss & husband were on the Westerdam about 6 weeks ago and did not like it.She said the food was terrible,entertainment was also terrible and she got sick along with her 15 yr.old daughter for 3 days.Also she said the ship was FREEZING(though I like that-I'm always warm).She did say the ship was nice and elegant...any thoughts on any recent Westerdam cruisers? We were just on RCI's AOS in May,hope we won't be dissappointed!! Thanks for your opinions....

Big Al

Archived