Exit Fee at Mahogany Bay Pier

truckguy

I have heard stories of people being forced to pay a departure fee for leaving the Mahogany Bay pier if not on a ship sponsored shore excursion in the amount of nearly $40pp. Have any of you adventurous travelers that may have been on a Carnival or Princess cruise recently encountered this? I am familiar with Coxen Hole pier as Celebrity docks there as did Grand Princess in Dec 06, but this will be my first trip to Mahogany Bay pier.

Thank you in advance for any input you may have.

Wishing you all calm seas and infinite wakes !! :D

Could someone be confusing the Departure Tax at the airport for this fee at Mahogany Bay? I think the departure tax is up to $38 and change.

Indeed the airport departure tax is between $38 and $39 at todays exchange rate. I fly in and out of Roatan at least once a month as my son lives there as a dive instructor/divemaster. I was under the impression that the people that own Mahogany Bay were trying to create a compound in a remote location that would ensure all disembarking passengers would be compelled to purchase a shore excursion. After realizing that was not as effective as they liked they had begun imposing a surcharge to depart the compound to offset the loss of revenue from passengers not purchasing shore excursions from the cruise line. Perhaps I am wrong about the amount but I have heard on several occasions that such a fee exists. I hope I am gravely mistaken. I will find out for sure when I return in mid November.

You could email MB and ask if there is a fee to leave the resort :confused:

Would that not be forced confinement by Carnival Corp??

I have read other posts here that people have taken private tours outside the port area & taxis to the beaches & no one mentions extortion fees to leave the compound

I think someone is playing games

Rumors abound on the island...I suggest anyone have a chat MB before getting their shorts in a bunch. I have never heard of anyone paying to fee to get out... I have friends on the island that meet family off cruise ships and they have never said anything about a fee.

When was the s'pose to have happened? Or is it still in the works?

Interesting, but I can hardly imagine Carnival could actually legally do this without some sort of statement in a contract stating to cruisers that they would not be able to actually see the island of Roatan unless they either did a shore excursion through them or paid an exit fee to leave the compound.

If this ever became the case I would not ever cruise a Carnival Corp ship when visiting Roatan.:eek::eek::eek:

Okay.

Carnival tries to "discourage" people by not allowing outside tours to pick up inside, but private tours could still drop off after the tour, last time e were there.

The taxi "union" finally got their point across a while back and was (is?) allowed to drive people up over the "hill" for a few bucks a person.

I have a hard time believing Carnival would have that kind of juice, especially when they only own a percentage of the operation and not the whole thing.

I have walked out 3 times and paid NOTHING. The last trip we had a stroller, a small child and one older person that could have never made the walk, so we paid $2/pp plus a tip for a cap to meet our driver up the hill. Well worth the money for our situation!

Archived