Naples. Guide/tour co recommendations

Alg63

Can anyone recommend a good guide/ tour co for Naples that they have used in the last 6-8 months

Also, if you only wanted to do a 4-5 hour excursion (private group of 12) what would be your recommendations (nothing strenuous)

Thanks in advance

This last August, my wife and I used Benvenuto Limos. It was just the two of us, but the service was fantastic. The driver readily changed things around to accomodate us. Not sure if they have vans for bigger groups...but I heartily recommend.

We docked in Salerno rather than Naples, so not sure what I'd suggest for your time, but certainly Pompeii should figure in your planning.

If you only want to devote 4 - 5 hours, you don't have many choices. Obviously you could simply stay in Naples and see some of the city - there's certainly a lot to see and do right there within walking distance of the port.

Outside of the city, due to distance and traffic, you really are limited to a visit to the ruins at either Pompei or Herculeneum (figure 45 - 60 minutes each way driving, plus a couple of hours exploring the site itself).

Another option would be to take a boat (the ferry pier is right next to the cruise port) to Sorrento. The boat ride is about 45 minutes each way, which would leave you with several hours to explore Sorrento, perhaps have lunch, then head back. No guide is needed for Sorrento.

Capri is also an option, again a ferry from the pier next to the cruise port. In this case the ferry ride is about an hour. Like Sorrento, no guide is necessary for Capri.

Thanks to both of you. How does one know if the boat docks in Salerno or Naples?

Due to most in my party being older although most quite mobile, I don't want to go more than 4-5 hours and I certainly don't want to spend half or more than that just getting to where we are going so will certainly take your suggestions into consideration :)

If your itinerary only says Naples, that's probably where you'll dock. Sometimes they'll say Naples (Salerno), which means they'll be at Salerno but want you to think Naples.

Capri might be a nice day for your group. You can get there on your own but hire a driver for the day to take you around the island. More information on Capri here: http://www.capri.net/

Archived