Ocean view vs. Balcony

rhsjr

Good Question.

In the past 15 or so years we always book either a balcony or mini-suite but

VERY SELDOM USE THE BALCONY for any lenght of time.

We just like knowing it's there and are able to walk directly outside from our cabin anytime we wish so it's worth it to us. :)

~~~~

We, like you ,always had at least a balcony and on occasion have had a suite.

On a recent cruise we decided to book and try an obstructed OV as it was europe in autumn and only a short cruise break .

The cabin was the same size as a balcony and to be honest we spent so much time out of the room we didn't miss it. However, if it was somewhere warmer and a longer duration we would always probably a balcony.

I think it comes down to personal choice and the weather and itinery for each cruise. We have futrue cruises booked in both balcony and OV.

Most people have compared the features of a balcony to an OV, but not the cabin itself. Having sailed in both, I can tell you that the OVs always feel more spacious, probably due to their layout. As nice as the balcony is, it's still the same size as an OV, so that means you're sacrificing some of your indoor living space for that balcony. I find the Princess balcony cabin layout to be pretty cramped in comparison to other lines.

Having moved to a balcony room many years ago, I don't think I would be happy without one, I always try to book on the Caribe deck if on the Grand class as they are larger and half covered. Even if the square footage is the same, having a balcony feels like a second room, You can shut the door, have some private time if you want. I also wake up during the night very often and love to star gaze off the balcony. Its my little piece of heaven. :D

Most people have compared the features of a balcony to an OV, but not the cabin itself. Having sailed in both, I can tell you that the OVs always feel more spacious, probably due to their layout. As nice as the balcony is, it's still the same size as an OV, so that means you're sacrificing some of your indoor living space for that balcony. I find the Princess balcony cabin layout to be pretty cramped in comparison to other lines.
You haven't stayed in an Oceanview on Plaza deck on the Coral/Island. They have a different layout and are significantly smaller than a standard balcony cabin.

We just sailed in a balcony cabin on the Island, our first balcony on Princess since 2006 when the smokers forced us to inside cabins too. It was for an Alaska cruise, and we absolutely loved it...because there's something to see so much of the time. But I was kind of surprised by how small the cabin itself felt, certainly no larger than the insides we normally booked. There were two additional drawers for storage and I like that. I really miss drawers in the vanity on the newer Princess ships; I used to keep my makeup in one, but it's thought to keep it on a shelf behind a door. But the cabin itself really wasn't any different than an inside.

So, for Alaska, it's worth it to us. For most other itineraries, it isn't. Even when we book a balcony, we book one with quick access to an outside deck. We had balconies on our transpacific cruises on the back of Aloha Deck and everytime there was something to see (New Zealand fjords, approaching Bora Bora) we still ducked outside to the Terrace Deck to see it bigger.

You haven't stayed in an Oceanview on Plaza deck on the Coral/Island. They have a different layout and are significantly smaller than a standard balcony cabin.
My Plaza deck oceanview cabin on my recent Island cruise was quite small. There really wasn't room for even the small table because I had to move it and the chair next to the bed in order to open the frig. I could sit at the desk and just lean back a little to put things on the bed. I've got photos I haven't uploaded yet I can post. :)

We had ocean view on our first cruise, our second cruise we were lucky to

be upgraded to a balcony. We have never gone back. I agree with all that has been said above...able to step out, eating, drinking, resting out there, watching in/out of ports etc..we are booked on our first aft balcony in two weeks on Caribbean Princess. We look forward to watching the wake, Ultimate Balcony Dinner and so on. It is a choice but I like the option of being able to step outside with little to no effort!!! We only cruise every 15-18 months for now and so this is our treat and actually sometimes a balcony is less than OV if you book at the correct time which we did this time.:):)

Archived