Sail 11/12/12 to late to get insurance?

emod20

Trip insurance just 13 days out? Unless it's for medical concerns, I don't see why you would spend the extra money. If the cruise is cancelled for weather, which is highly unlikely, they'll refund your money for the cruise.

sandy has me thinking i should get trip ins? we sail 11/12/12 out of miami ? is it to late ? any help on where to purchase it? :confused:

Insurance for the scenario "a storm is maybe coming and I don't want to sail" is hard to come by, unless you get "Cancel for Any Reason" option (which generally pays only 50% to 90%, depending on which Policy) and wouldn't be available to you at this late date other than thru the Carnival VPP Policy (which pays 75% future cruise credit) which may or may not be available to you after Final Payment date or by this late date, according to the Policy.

As long as there's no "forming/impending" weather condition, You can probably still buy a Policy from the major insurers (CSA, TravelGuard, TravelInsured, etc.) but you'll want to carefully read the usually limited Cancellation reasons for one that allows you to cancel if adverse weather causes you to miss departure and/or ability to cancel if theres a NOLA storm warning 48 hours in advance of departure, etc. Generally you can't buy a Policy that would cover a known, upcomming storm.

ken

I just purchased insurance last week for my cruise this Sun. My only two concerns for coverage are: needing to be medically airlifted from either the ship or port and 2) trip interruption/delays. To me, spending $80 is worth it when you think about how much a medical evacuation can me.

I posted a similar insurance question on the other board and someone said that if a storm is already "named" you receive no coverage should interruption/delay occur b/c of said named storm. I think that's how I understood it.

i should have worded that better. because of sandy and all the problems i was thinking i should have gotten insurance, for other problems that might come up.

Your wording was OK - I was just pointing out some of the considerations involved!

WRT the Carnival Policy:

(1) in the words of the Policy "Please note: Payment for the plan may not be accepted after the Cruise Vacation Protection cost has been paid in full." and

(2) the Cancel for Any Reason coverage is only available if you purchased the Policy prior to Final Payment.

ken

I just purchased insurance last week for my cruise this Sun. My only two concerns for coverage are: needing to be medically airlifted from either the ship or port and 2) trip interruption/delays. To me, spending $80 is worth it when you think about how much a medical evacuation can me.

I posted a similar insurance question on the other board and someone said that if a storm is already "named" you receive no coverage should interruption/delay occur b/c of said named storm. I think that's how I understood it.

re: medically airlifted - usually to cover pre-existing conditions insurance needs to be purchased shortly after deposit is made. i expect last minute purchase would still cover 'accident' type events.

(the older i get, the more i read the fine print!)

re: medically airlifted - usually to cover pre-existing conditions insurance needs to be purchased shortly after deposit is made. i expect last minute purchase would still cover 'accident' type events.

I found through insure my trip dot com a medical policy that had no pre-existing condition exclusions. I purchased one only one week before departing on my last cruise. It was competitively priced with other medical policies. You just need to search.

Interestingly, in most Policies (including Carnival's) Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation of remains ARE paid, regardless of pre-existing condition. ken

I found through insure my trip dot com a medical policy that had no pre-existing condition exclusions. I purchased one only one week before departing on my last cruise. It was competitively priced with other medical policies. You just need to search.

Hmmm Which one is that?

When I looked, The CSA Luxe was the only one I found with pre-X cover if bought after intial payment. With this you can buy it up to Final payment (or a day after I think).

I noticed probably the same one, a "0 day look-back window"; it's somewhere in my Insurance Links. It would only become pricey if you needed/wanted to combine with Cancellation/Baggage/etc. coverage - which is adequately/minimally covered by some Credit Cards. ken.

HTH World Wide Travel Gap[/i] medical-only policy with "0 day lookback window". It's medical only and requires that you already have existing primary health coverage. ken

That's the one. I only want the medical, since I'm willing to eat the vacation costs. It's relatively cheap ($50 to $60) for a week to the Caribbean. A couple of grand lost (already paid for) is not the end of the world. It's the possibilty of a $25K+ medical bill / evacuation costs that scares me.

Archived