London cruise around Ireland and Scotland

rcandkc

To All - Wow, did this thread ever come close to home - Aging parents and travel. My Mom died last year at 90. She was never too interested in traveling or venturing too far from home, even though my Dad often brought up the subject to her over the years and would have very much liked to have done more traveling with her while they were both younger. For the last few years of Mom's life, Dad was her primary care giver and was very dedicated to her and provided her much comfort and care right up until her passing.

With Mom now no longer with us, Dad is still pretty darn healthy (no cane, no medications, and enjoys a scotch each evening while reading the newspaper) and found himself with a lot of time on his hands, the energy, the continuing interest in travel, and the resources so that he can now go with me and my DW to some of the places he had always wanted to go earlier on. At 94 he went with us to Alaska (on Navigator) in August. He had a great time, which included the Zodiac boat ride out to a remote island, a walk through a rain forest, whale & otter watching, and he took the bus excursion out to see the Mendenhall Glacier.

If his health holds up, he will be going with us (at age 95) on Voyager next October around Italy. We'll be arriving in Rome a few days early to do some private touring before the cruise starts. For now, he is able to do the cruises (as long as we don't overdue things) that he never could do in his earlier years. And he loves it! We just have to pick the excursions and other activities that won't tax him (or us) too much. And that's fine.

Last week, the 3 of us drove to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Dad had never been to either of those places before. He even dropped a few "bucks" into a slot machine in Lake Havasu City - and actually "hit" for a few extra dollars! That's something else he had never done before. It made his week! As long as he still has his mobility, mental alertness, and is able to enjoy the cruising experience I think he will look forward to taking more cruise adventures with us in the future, using the available time and health remaining to him. My wife and I feel lucky that we are able to share these experiences with him. Regards to all.

Thanks for your story, pingpong1,

My mother and I started cruising on the Song of Flower in 1992. Each of us had been on one cruise prior to this one. Mine at the age of 25 and my mom's at 16. We loved cruising together and went on 17 cruises adding other family members until we enjoyed family reunions all over the world on Regent ships. She celebrated her 88th birthday on the Voyager in Europe. I have so many wonderful memories of our family on those trips. My mom passed away over 2.5 years ago, but she introduced me to the world through cruising. What an education, with so much fun thrown in.

Rachel - You sound like a responsible daughter with an awesome mom! I believe you will always manage the risk of traveling with something happening to her as she is so supportive of you. She has made it clear that this is what she wants for you, so go with her blessings!

RC/KC - If you feel really strongly about those vibes, then follow them! We went on our annual winter trip to the Grenadines last winter with no fears and everything was fine. I haven't had any more concerns - so far! But I absolutely believe in that discernment.

Sounds like many are in the same boat or understand, i.e Patti, who happened to be on that UK cruise with us in August 2011. And it is so interesting to explore the topic of travel and realize how many fellow travelers understand what's going on when you approach a subject like this. Ping Pong, what a wonderful story. Sounds like you enjoy being with your dad, and he has been a good dad to you, right? But I want you to know you have been a good son and how wonderful for all of you to be able to be a part of your family.

Just a word for the other side of the big picture. Seize the moment while you can. Your whole life can change in a fraction of a second, and I believe you should make the most of it while you can.

A good reminder, thanks and yes, life can change in a moment. Very true, we have learned not to take things for granted!!

IMHO go now and save your worries for later :)

Safe travels

Just a word for the other side of the big picture. Seize the moment while you can. Your whole life can change in a fraction of a second, and I believe you should make the most of it while you can.

Great Advice. I have never regretted going or doing something, only regretted not going or doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Many have posted that this itinerary is best done by land. They would be correct if a tour could be found that was not a death march filled with 5:00

AM wake-ups, hotels lacking air conditioning in warmer months, consistantly good food, and longer stays at the locations. The last land tour we took of this area reminded me of military basic training -- only it was worse!

Many have posted that this itinerary is best done by land. They would be correct if a tour could be found that was not a death march filled with 5:00

AM wake-ups, hotels lacking air conditioning in warmer months, consistantly good food, and longer stays at the locations. The last land tour we took of this area reminded me of military basic training -- only it was worse!

:D:D

They saw you coming.:D

Although we decided to postpone Ireland from fall 2013 to a future time, we have booked a trip to Grand Canyon for that time. Decided to do some of the things in our own country too. Just a note to anyone ever interested in staying in the national park....you need to book very far in advance, in some cases a year. So, at this time our next cruise is not until 3/2014. That just seems too far away!

There is no one who will ever really care about our travels more than our mothers. They are probably the only ones who want to look at our photos. Mom is 89 with dementia, so no more interest. She was fortunate to have traveled in Europe/Britain/Russia quite a bit, and I will be glad to keep her photos. She took us on one cruise----not her cup of tea!

With that itinerary, the weather and seas are a crap shoot. I have heard a LOT of horror stories about the seas in the eastern/northern part of Scotland. We were lucky and had decent weather.

Yup, that was me and my family. I was the one setting the alarm clock, my husband doing battle behind the wheel, teenager sulking in the backseat. Ok...no....it wasn't really that bad. But, ten days in Ireland was a strenuous trip for us. We loved it so much, but I can easily see the benefits of doing it by sea....whenever you go.

Archived