Cloud cover and Northern Lights in February

lpslps

I am thinking about a Hurtigruten trip from Kirkeness to Bergen in mid February. The primary purpose is to see the Northern Lights. What percentage of clear skies (vs cloudy skies) are we likely to experience? Are the lights visible all the way to Bergen or only on the first few (Northern) days.

I've sailed Hurtigruten before in the summer for one night from Bergen. What is different about this cruise which does the whole route and in mid Feb?

It would be on the Finnmarken.

It is almost impossible to foresee that much in advance what the cloud cover will be like (it varies so quickly from day to day, even from hour to hour). If you want to go at that time, you have to take a gamble on the weather. I did that trip twice in winter : once in December 2010 and we saw the Northern Lights almost every night, and once in March 2012 and we were a lot less lucky with the clouds but still manage to catch a few nice displays (even through the clouds :

p7026.jpg )

The Northern Lights can usually be seen best above the Arctic Circle. But this winter is a very good winter for Northern Lights since it's a peak of solar activity so it is not impossible to see them further South.

I have done this trip only in winter and spring so I can't really compare with summer, but what I enjoyed tremendously in the winter trips are the landscape covered in snow and the incredible lights during sunrise and sunset. There is also a feeling of cozyness in the ships during winter that I really enjoy.

You can see pictures and texts from my winter trips on my blog :

The December 2010 trip starts here (text in French only, but pictures don't need words!)

The March 2012 trip starts here (text in French and English)

They can give you an idea of what a winter trip is like.

I like this trip in winter so much that I am going back next February (and cross my fingers very tight for clear nights).

I honestly don't think you can have reliable statistics on cloud cover for a particular date. Honestly, pick your date and hope for the best. Your trip won't be wasted anyway, there is a lot to this trip other than the Northern Lights. One thing you can take into account though is the phase of the moon. A new moon period will be more favorable than a full moon period (there will be Northern Lights regardless of the moon, but if the moon is full the night will be a lot more clearer and you will not see the Northern Lights as well).

The Finnmarken is a great ship (probably the one I would pick if I wasn't so much in love with the traditional MS Lofoten). It's one of the newer ship but it's not as big and ostentatious as the two other modern ships. It has a nice, warm feeling. (it also have an outdoor hot tub and swimming pool. Imagine watching the Northern Lights in your jacuzzi! :) ). She's the perfect winter ship I think.

I am thinking about a Hurtigruten trip from Kirkeness to Bergen in mid February. The primary purpose is to see the Northern Lights. What percentage of clear skies (vs cloudy skies) are we likely to experience? Are the lights visible all the way to Bergen or only on the first few (Northern) days.

I've sailed Hurtigruten before in the summer for one night from Bergen. What is different about this cruise which does the whole route and in mid Feb?

We sailed from Bergen to Tromso on Finnmarken a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We saw the lights on three nights, but every voyage is, of course, different and there are no guarantees. We're currently pretty much at a solar maximum so the chances should be better than ours were.

• 2 months later...

We were on the Nordkapp in October of 2011. Weather was nice - not all that cold and had one night (aprox. 10:00 pm local) a very nice display of the Northern Lights. As I recall, the location was north of Tromso. I was using a Canon DSLR 35mm with the flash turned off.

Hi,

All advice here sounds good from my experience:

1 Christmas return voyage, no Northern Lights

1 January return voyage, 10 nights Northern Lights out of 11 - so well below Arctic Circle (Astronomy Voyage)

1 return voyage early March 3-4 nights Northern Lights

1 return voyage late March early April 2-3 nights Northern Lights

One thing worth pointing out that there are likely to be lots of people aboard there to see (watch for) the Northern Lights & you have to be outside to see them. The main open space on Finnmarken is at the bow (the most exposed area to (probably sub-zero) winds). Both Trollfjord & Midnatsol (which are the ships preferred for the Astronomy Voyages) have a large open deck aft on the top deck. These are much more sheltered & I've been glad to get out of wind on several cold nights.

Whilst In Norway there are good forecasts available on internet for the Northern Lights & comprehensive weather info (including English language). The weather forecasts are less than perfect on the coast (shipping forecasts generall accurate tho'. These may be printed & deiplayed onboard depending the ship.

Consider flying into Kirkenes a day or 2 earlier & investigate any land-based Northern Light trips there.

If I were not doing full return trip I'd opt for Tromso-Kirkenes-Tromso with at least 1 night in Tromso before boarding. I know there are many Northern Lights land-based activities there. This option would definitely maximise chances of seeing Lights most.

Hope this is helpful,

Richard

Archived