Pre-cruise night at Houston or Galveston?

smartbunny

Us, two adults plus an infant and a 3-year-old, are going to cruise on Disney Magic on Jan 4 next year, out of Galveston. There is only non-stop flights from my home city to IAH, but not to Hobby, so we'll be flying into IAH around 4:35pm the day before the cruise. Should we spend the night in Houston or head over to Galveston and stay the night there?

My current tentative plan is:

1. After we arrive at IAH, take a cab or shuttle to a hotel in Galveston

2. The next day, take a cab or shuttle from the hotel to the cruise terminal

3. On the day we disembark, take a shuttle to from the terminal to IAH. *QUESTION*: I've heard of "Magical Express" the DSL operates but couldn't find any details at their website. Is it relatively economical/convenient to take the "Magical Express" from the terminal to IAH after the cruise?

Thanks!

We are flying into Hobby and decided to stay at the airport. There are six of us and hotel prices around the airport are significantly less than in Galveston. We can take the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then will get limo service directly from our hotel to the ship the next day. We will be there over Spring break so the hotel prices in Galveston are probably inflated for those weeks.

most of the hotels in Galveston have free or realitively inexpensive shuttles to the port for cruises... we stayed at Inn at the waterpark shuttle there was 20 i think and only paid about 60 for the night. was a nice hotel has pool and mini golf course and right next to Moody Gardens if you want a nice meal or to attend the museum has breakfast in the am and wifi hope this helps..

I would go on to Galveston and spend the night there. You can spend what you want (in January) for a room there. I just got back from spending the night at the Beachcomber (aka Galveston Inn), spent a whopping $40 for one night with 3 adults and it was a perfectly fine room (along the lines of a Super 8, not fancy but very clean), they had a continental breakfast. We used their free cruise parking and a taxi cost less than $20 one way. There's plenty to do in Galveston, it's relatively safe, easy to get around, and they have some great restaurants. If it's not too cold, your kids would enjoy a couple of hours at the Pleasure Pier, or if you've got more time to blow, they'd love Moody Gardens. Have fun!

I've got a night booked in Houston [since I don't get in until after 7PM] and a night at the Beachcomber in Galv, next weekend.

That seems to be a popular place huh? Anyone know if they offer a shuttle service to the port?

• 2 weeks later...

Information that may help you!

www.galveston.com

.......(what to do)(calendar of events) (calendar dates)

see also:

www.galvestonhistory.org---Galveston Historical Foundation !!!!!!

www.moodygardens.com --- just look at site !!!!!!

www.thegrand.com1894 Grand Opera House !!!!!!

Clearlake(nearby)

Nasa Space Center wonderful for all www.visitnasa.com

Kemah board walk – www.kemahboardwalk.com

Galveston:

Horse drawn carriage rides

Moody Gardens *(lots to do) (massive, fun and family oriented)

Schlitterbahn water park www.schlitterbahn.com/gal

Elissa www.tsm-elissa.org (wonderful) IN DRY DOCK NOT OPEN

1900 Storm/Immigration/Pirate Jean Laffite

......documentary FILMS at port

Pirates Store and program - Old Town Strand

Maritime museum- www.tsm-elissa.org

Airplane Museum (Lone Star Flight Museum)- www.lsfm.org/

Railroad Museum - www.galvestonrrmuseum.com

Oil drilling rig Museum - www.oceanstaroec.com

Sea wolf park – WWII submarine and destroyer - www.cavalla.org

Pleasure Pier

Large souvenir shop over gulf water - Murdochs by Galvez

Walks and shelling on the beach

Dolphin watching and port water boat tours

Kite flying on beach

Turtle rescue farm behind San Luis Resort

Free ferry ride and a short cruise to Bolivar

Duck tour (amphibious boat)

Beaches Beaches Beaches

Old town Galveston *- Strand To Post Office Street

..... lots of shopping, ice cream, old army surplus store, nautical shop,

Many Historical and Victorian homes

Galveston has second largest preservation membership in United States

Wooden Carved Trees Tour from Hurricane IKE (wonderful)

Bishops Palace (wonderful)

Moody Mansion(wonderful)

Fine restaurants, Antiques, Shops, Bakery and Coffee shop

Wineries and wine festivals

Restaurants overlooking gulf and on port

Two first class convention centers

Many live theater venues

Many live music venues

Free concert nights - old town Galveston *- on strand

Free film nights -old town Galveston *- on strand

Free band nights-

........“family/kids” oriented-summer outdoor Tuesdays 24th & Sealy

1894 grand opera house*

Chess park

Artist festivals

Museums

Antique stores and art Galleries

Swimming in Gulf

Fine restaurants

Night scene

Galveston Historical Foundation properties*

Cruise ships (RCCL, Carnival, Princess, Disney)

Fishing (piers, wadefishing and charters-offshore & inshore))

Golfing (2 courses)

Skateboard park - large

Kayaking trails

Surfing and children surf camps

Kite flying on beach

Marine life and children marine care educational camps at Moody Gardens

Marine life and children marine camps at Texas AM University-Sea Camps Various Running events with major Triathlon event

Sand castle building event

Shopping shopping shopping

Galveston.com/ interact and discover/cams

Many major Annual events and festivals not mentioned

as example :

Spring Break Events March - Large

Confederate Reenactment events

Sanctioned and Fun Runs(some large)

Triathlon Events

Art Walk (every 5 or so weeks year around) Big Streets Party

Dickens on Strand (Dec) ----LARGE - www.dickensonthestrand.com

Lone Star Motorcycle Rally (Nov) ---LARGE - www.lonestarrally.com

Mardi Gras Galveston (Feb) ----LARGE- www.mardigrasgalveston.com

OctoberFest

Seafood Fests

Beer Fests

Wine Events and Fests

Greek Fest

Epicurean Evening of all restaurants

Shrimp Fest

Yega’s Wild Game Cook Off large

County Fair - LARGE

Children’s Fest

Children Events at Opera House

Feather Fest - Large and for Bird Watchers

Old Timey Bathing Beauty Fest

And many many more !!

Trauma 1 Rated Emergency Hospital on Island

University of Texas Medical Branch - Sealy Hospital

I wouldn't take a cab. It is 75 miles or so from IAH to the island it will cost a fortune. Plus, you are arriving on the 3rd (a Thurs) at 4:30...traffic will be a mess at that time of day until you get down past NASA. Depending on what airline you are flying I would seriously just consider staying near the airport and using the cruise line shuttle service to the port Friday morning. By the time you get out of the airport with your luggage (assuming you are using United and termineal C/B) it will be close to 5:30 or so, add another couple hours to the island you are looking at 8pm or so by the time you get to a hotel down there. With 2 young kids are you really going to be out seeing the sights at that time of night. If you were coming in on the 1st or 2nd then I would say head on down to the island and check it out, but you just don't have much time with your current sched.

Us, two adults plus an infant and a 3-year-old, are going to cruise on Disney Magic on Jan 4 next year, out of Galveston. There is only non-stop flights from my home city to IAH, but not to Hobby, so we'll be flying into IAH around 4:35pm the day before the cruise. Should we spend the night in Houston or head over to Galveston and stay the night there?

My current tentative plan is:

1. After we arrive at IAH, take a cab or shuttle to a hotel in Galveston

2. The next day, take a cab or shuttle from the hotel to the cruise terminal

3. On the day we disembark, take a shuttle to from the terminal to IAH. *QUESTION*: I've heard of "Magical Express" the DSL operates but couldn't find any details at their website. Is it relatively economical/convenient to take the "Magical Express" from the terminal to IAH after the cruise?

Thanks!

1. On a good day, with no traffic, you could get from IAH to Galveston in 1 hour 45. You are coming in on a weekday, and rush-hour traffic down 45 South is going to put you at more like 2 hours 30. Trust me-I used to work there. If you plan to stay in Galveston, you will want to take a shuttle from IAH. You probably don't want to sit in traffic and watch the meter ring up.

2. Depending on where you stay, you'll probably want a taxi from the hotel to the port but you can stay in a hotel which is close to the port and walk.

3. I drive past the POG every day and have never seen anything like "magical express". When I google it, I get a link to Walt Disney World. It looks like that service is only available in Orlando.

If it were me, here's what I would do:

-The night of my arrival I would stay at the airport that is located inside IAH. It's the Airport Marriott and is quite nice. You can get off your plane, take the underground train (interestingly enough designed by Disney "imagineers") check in to your hotel and relax for the rest of the evening instead of sitting in traffic. If you take a shuttle or cab down to Galveston after flying and traffic chances are you'll be too tired to get out and it will be dark anyway. If you stay the night @ IAH you can get up in the AM, avoid the traffic, and make it to Galveston in plenty of time for your cruise.

IAH's website is http://www.fly2houston.com, if you click "Ground Transporation" there is a link for "Houston Transtar". Click that link and you'll see a traffic map. You'll see IAH at the top, middle of the map and Galveston at the very bottom.

The airport website also has a link to the hotel I mentioned as well as hotels in the area (Will Clayton and JFK Blvd are the streets which intersect IAH).

Archived