Affected by Sandy, but unable to get a cancel for full refund/credit from carnival

ak51

One year my husband lost his job and luckily found one right away...the kicker, we had a cruise booked for the very day he started his new job and he couldn't ask for more lead time... This happened two days before the cruise and long story short I never even stopped to think if I could get a refund. I'd read the fine print and knew that the cruise was non-refundable. I ended up going by myself with two paid plane tickets (I could have gotten someone to cruise with me on my dime but the plane ticket was non-transferable). I feel for those that cruise alone, don't want a stranger for a bunk mate, and still have to pay for two.

I know this wasn't a natural disaster but it was a disaster for me. Sometimes it is just a matter of making choices. And, for the original OP and not to belittle her point, lots of people are affected and "loose" money every day by things out of their control. Its just one of life's trials and if every customer of every cruise line were to expect to be reimbursed for a trip they were unable to take whatever the catastrophe (big or little) eventually the "end" cost of a cruise would skyrocket out of control for everyone sailing. Sometimes the little people just have to take a hit to insure that the opportunity for all the other little people will continue to exist. I'm not defending the cruise line just telling it how it is.

I never buy trip insurance. The way I see it, the money I saved over the years will cover any issue I might have. Insurance is a for profit industry. When you can't go on a trip payed for, you do not lose the money, but rather the trip. The money is already gone. If you buy a gallon of milk and your kid leaves it on the countertop, it spoils. You lost the milk, not the money. You can't go to the store and e change it. It is sad and frustrating to miss a trip or other happy event but you need to look past it and accept your losses.

Lots of folks "self insure" (like you) because they cruise enough to make it worth the risk.

But (like you) they understand that THEY are accepting the risks that it can happen.

You also made a very good point that I think a lot of newbies do not understand....

that cabin on that sailing is a PRODUCT.

Once that PRODUCT is lost....it can NOT be made up.

(just like the milk that spoiled....once it is gone, it is gone)

I do not see anyone demeaning and belittling the car manufacturers for not replacing cars destroyed by Sandy that were not insured.....

yes all companies have a certain percentage of their budget that they use for hardship cases....but no one is "entitled" to DEMAND that.

No harm in asking, but to DEMAND it and BELITTLE Carnival if the answer is no is just another example of the "entitlement mentality" that is ruining this Nation.

I have purchased Early Saver fares for several cruises over the last few years...and even had to change a few of them to other cruises because of changes in personal plans. It wasn't a big deal, Carnival was easy to work with, I paid a $50 admin fee per person and the remainder of my deposit/fare was transferred to the other cruise.

Other types of fares are even easier to transfer to a different cruise, just the ES has the specific admin charge. But those changes were all made outside of the "penalty period."

I think the real issue here for the OP is that she is apparently trying to cancel/reschedule well inside what is called the "penalty period," i.e., roughly about 70 days out from a cruise. Once you get inside that time frame, you are pretty much stuck -- unless you have some kind of insurance that will reimburse in your particular situation.

If you look at Carnival's history during these conditions...they have acted pretty reasonably. The Pride out of Baltimore and the (forgot the ship name) cruise out of Norfolk...both were cancelled for specific weather-related reasons and everyone booked was given to option to either cancel with a full refund, or transfer fares paid to another cruise.

If you remember this past summer when one of Carnival's ships had to leave San Juan early due to the port being closed early....they left about 300 passengers stranded there. But Carnival offered to put them up in hotels (at Carnival's expense) and also flew all of them to the next port stop. (also at Carnival's expense.)

Given Carnival's actions in these specific situations, one has to say they acted very reasonable...even above and beyond actually.

In this particular situation regarding the OP's Tampa cruise, sorry OP but this is clearly not any fault of Carnival. And though it may sound harsh, they really do not owe you anything on this one. No sense closing the gate after the cows have gotten out, but next time really think about some insurance. It is not all that costly to purchase.

A lot of people say they self insure until something happens . Then they are on Cruise Critic complaining about Carnival not giving them refunds . If you self insure realize you may one day regret it when you have to be air lifted off to the tune of thousands of dollars .

Guess the OP does not like us.:D She's been on CC about 8 AM, saw the green light on, and stats says last activity 8:10!

How about feedback OP:confused:

it's the contrary, very much like CC and highly appreciate each and every feed back.

In hind sight I should have purchased some sort of insurance.

Will call carnival tomorrow and see if I get any where, otherwise this will just be a lesson learned that's all.

If you self insure realize you may one day regret it when you have to be air lifted off to the tune of thousands of dollars .

50,000 passengers cruise just on Carnival every week and I am sure an air-lift only occurs maybe about once a week or so for all cruise lines combined. Odds are definitely in favor of it not happening. Insurance is a personal thing...where I live you have earthquake insurance but rarely flood insurance, unless you live in the "low" areas. Most people who buy trip insurance have a "reason" to do so....traveling during proven times when weather can be an issue, family concerns because of health issues of extended family members which may result in unsure timing, etc. But I don't think people buy the insurance because they are convinced they will need to be evacuated from a ship.

I think the point posters are trying to make is that any time you book and pre-pay for a vacation you are throwing the dice. If you don't have insurance then you just shouldn't complain when things don't go as planned...just consider it money spent and move on.

A lot of people say they self insure until something happens . Then they are on Cruise Critic complaining about Carnival not giving them refunds . If you self insure realize you may one day regret it when you have to be air lifted off to the tune of thousands of dollars .

Coast Guard is free, paid for by tax dollars.

Copied my response from your thread you posted over in Funville.

In extreme hardships cases they may be able to help.

By extreme I mean you lost your home, car, belongings etc. Just living in an affected area without loss would not be considered hardship.

Here is an e-mail address that may help. Can't guarantee anything but it will not hurt to at least give it a shot.

GUEST ADMIN

guestadmin@carnival.com (individual bookings)

· Review requests for consideration of penalty waivers for hardship cases 2

to 4 weeks after the sailing

· Apply and make appropriate rate adjustments of discount certificates on

existing bookings (i.e., bonus commissions, entertainment coupons, past

guest oers, Guest Care goodwill gestures, etc.)

Coast Guard is free, paid for by tax dollars.

From the ship, and only if the ship is diverted into the coast guard's area they can pick up. That's why a ship goes off course, to reach the coastguard's limited area. Then, you and whoever still has to get home after running up medical bills.

Copied my response from your thread you posted over in Funville.

In extreme hardships cases they may be able to help.

By extreme I mean you lost your home, car, belongings etc. Just living in an affected area without loss would not be considered hardship.

Here is an e-mail address that may help. Can't guarantee anything but it will not hurt to at least give it a shot.

And your bold print sentence has yet to be clarified by the poster.

Lots of folks "self insure" (like you) because they cruise enough to make it worth the risk.

But (like you) they understand that THEY are accepting the risks that it can happen.

You also made a very good point that I think a lot of newbies do not understand....

that cabin on that sailing is a PRODUCT.

Once that PRODUCT is lost....it can NOT be made up.

(just like the milk that spoiled....once it is gone, it is gone)

I do not see anyone demeaning and belittling the car manufacturers for not replacing cars destroyed by Sandy that were not insured.....

yes all companies have a certain percentage of their budget that they use for hardship cases....but no one is "entitled" to DEMAND that.

No harm in asking, but to DEMAND it and BELITTLE Carnival if the answer is no is just another example of the "entitlement mentality" that is ruining this Nation.

I probably came off the wrong way, I did not mean that I am entitled to anything, but will/can Carnival give credit for future cruises and experiences others in similar scenario

I probably came off the wrong way, I did not mean that I am entitled to anything, but will/can Carnival give credit for future cruises and experiences others in similar scenario

And I may be coming on the wrong way. You've avoided direct questions so I'm assuming you are not going simply by choice.

That is really the same as refunding this trip so I'd say no. Even if you don't go on the cruise the money was still spent...that is oftentimes a hard concept for most of us to grasp...even though you didn't eat the food it was still ordered, even if you didn't sleep in the room a steward's wages don't change, even if you didn't, yourself, sail the cruiseline still has those expenses and the list goes on and on. Giving out a future credit just means that the cruise line still has the same expenses they aren't getting paid for on that particular cruise.

Now your question to Carnival may be to see if they will give you future on-board credit as a sympathy gesture (and don't take that wrong). When you speak to whomever in customer service just request that when they say no to refunding your money. They really do want to keep you happy and to have you come back (even though some peeps don't think so) so brave the question and be happy if they consider it.

Can they? Sure. Will they? Not sure after this has been made public record.

We had a different scenario happen to us.

We had a blizzard affect us where all our insurance would pay is for us to catch up with the ship. All the airports eventually closed.

Best I could have done was catch up with the ship the day before the cruise ended.

Carnival gave us a choice of 4 future cruise dates, one of which we took, on a newer ship with better accommodations.

All insurance paid for was our hotel stays and meals till we were able to get back home.

But we worked with them through the whole ordeal. We didn't post on a message board where non employee amatuers start giving business advice, none of which they can control.

Then, you and whoever still has to get home after running up medical bills.

The medical bills will be paid by your medical insurance (if you have "regular" employer provided insurance)

Just helped someone translating their bills into English and got their money back. So I know.

Though if you're on Medicare, you do need to think about travel insurance for medical, which happens a lot more often than hurricane. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the new healthcare law.

I prefer the freedom to make my own decisions.

We chose to self insure for cruises. We have saved far more by NOT paying extra for trip insurance over the years than we would lose on several missed cruises.

Quoted poster would take that freedom of choice away.

Welcome to the Nanny state.

you misunderstand....I am saying the cruiselines should insure themselves for cruises they have to cancel and refund people for.....but as an additional bonus to the cruiselines...they could also insure themselves..and thus have the money to pay those pax who want a refund for a valid reason...such as death..job loss...etc...but of course they would have to prove their valid reason for cancelling the cruise...

The pax would never even need to know where CCL got the money to pay them back...and CCL would look like the good guys...

It would be a goodwill business maneuver on the the cruiselines part....and would ultimately gain them an even more loyal following....

I am talking Capitalist business....not this nanny state nonsense.:D

as an additional bonus to the cruiselines...they could also insure themselves..and thus have the money to pay those pax who want a refund for a valid reason...such as death..job loss...etc...but of course they would have to prove their valid reason for cancelling the cruise...

"Bonus"? "Capitalist business"? :confused:

Where do you think the money for the premium of these "additional" insurance comes from? Out of the "bonus" of the cruiselines CEO? Or as inflated ticket prices? :rolleyes:

you misunderstand....I am saying the cruiselines should insure themselves for cruises they have to cancel and refund people for.....but as an additional bonus to the cruiselines...they could also insure themselves..and thus have the money to pay those pax who want a refund for a valid reason...such as death..job loss...etc...but of course they would have to prove their valid reason for cancelling the cruise...

The pax would never even need to know where CCL got the money to pay them back...and CCL would look like the good guys...

It would be a goodwill business maneuver on the the cruiselines part....and would ultimately gain them an even more loyal following....

I'm really confused now. Capitalist vs. nanny state?

Capitalist would mean the consumer decides whether to buy insurance to protect their investment or self insure.

Nanny state would mean the consumer is no longer responsible for their own action and any losses by the consumer should be made up by someone else.

I am so sorry for everyone that was affected by the storm. I was probably blasted on carnivals Facebook page when someone posted on how terrible the cruise line was for not allowing people to cancel or reschedule due to the storm and my reply was that insurance should have been purchased.

Op, I hope everything goes well for you and I do hope maybe something can be done for you.

Sounds like some kind of spread the wealth.. let everyone pay extra to insure the few who dont want to pay for insurance.

Nothing is free ya know.

Of course its nanny state.. its to protect those who dont protect themselves.

Worst idea Ive heard in a long time.

I'm sure it could be done, with the cruise line taking out insurance for each cabin & adding that cost on to the fare of everyone who books.

But I don't see that Carnival would have any incentive to do so. The cost of the cruise fare is not the issue, it's all the $ they will get from you while you are on board. Unless it's a luxury cruise where little is charged extra for, the cruise line doesn't turn profit (or at least much profit) from the cruise fare. It's all the extras you add to your on board account.

That said, I wish there weren't such a tendency here to give labels like entitled, nanny state, etc. It's a shame people can't talk or express different ideas without the put downs.

:cool:First of all I wish all those on the East Coast the best!!:) But I live right in the middle of the US. I buy travel insurance for every cruise, I cruise either during Hurricane season or during the winter, If Carnival is going to give everyone who says they can't cruise for whatever reason a refund? Why am I wasting my money???

Great point!

I always get travel insurance, just because....

If CCL gives out all kinds of refunds, my costs will increase..... They are more than fair when you consider what they offer when things go wrong.

When you don't buy insurance, why complain or ask how to 'make Carnival' give a full refund?

THAT is what insurance is for......

Asking for advice in one thing, but asking how to make CCL give something they are not legally obligated to do......sorry you lost me....

Not flaming the OP, but what is with society today when so many people want something for nothing?

Not taking ANYTHING away from the situation on the east coast.... I can only imagine how difficult it must be there right now....

Archived