Suites on Voyager

Delilah21

We are looking at a Grade E Concierge Suite on Voyager Luxor to Rome in May 2013. We have been offered suite numbers 858, 910 and 911 and 966 and 968. We have only travelled on Mariner in the past so have no experience of Voyager. Could anyone please advise me which would be the better of the suites listed bearing in mind we understand there is some vibration on this ship. Many thanks in anticipation.

One reason I would not select 858 is because it is close to the elevators and laundrette. When we have been near elevators we can hear people talking late at night.

Thank you Travelcat we agree with your choice. We had come to the conclusion that they would the best suites for us. I would not like to be near the elevators just in case I could hear it "ping" every time it opened and closed which would drive me mad. We have just heard though that we would have to fly Egyptair if we took this cruise as Regents BA business class allocation is full. Does anyone have any experience of Egyptair?

THIS IS A COMMENT RE: EGYPTAIR We used them a number of years ago and at that time they were the worst airline we had ever flown. It was filthy, the trip back was a nightmare when they had mechanical problems and changed equipment and routes with no advance warding. When we arrived in Cairo we discovered there were 2 terminals (one for EgyptAir and the other for "Americans",) I would rather swim to Africa than fly with them. Perhaps they have improved in recent times.

THIS IS A COMMENT RE: EGYPTAIR We used them a number of years ago and at that time they were the worst airline we had ever flown. It was filthy, the trip back was a nightmare when they had mechanical problems and changed equipment and routes with no advance warding. When we arrived in Cairo we discovered there were 2 terminals (one for EgyptAir and the other for "Americans",) I would rather swim to Africa than fly with them. Perhaps they have improved in recent times.

Wow! Thanks for that. In the event as we couldn't get British Airways Business Class flights for this cruise we have decided instead to go for Istanbul to Barcelona on Mariner on 24th April on which we are able to get a good midship conceierge suite and BA Business Class flights. Many thanks for everyones input

Delilah21, I don't know you or your tastes; may I say, however, you are going to be thrilled with your new choice. Have a ball:D

I hope so. I understand that this cruise is being advertised through an association called ZAP - Zinfandel Advocates and Producers - not a group I have heard of before being British. We are just wondering just how large a group this may be and whether they are likely to take over the ship!!

I hope so. I understand that this cruise is being advertised through an association called ZAP - Zinfandel Advocates and Producers - not a group I have heard of before being British. We are just wondering just how large a group this may be and whether they are likely to take over the ship!!

I think you should look into this more. Groups do tend to take over some areas and we have seen Prime 7 and/or Signatures closed for their private events for one or two nights. If Regent or your TA cannot give you information, you may see if you can get information from the organization. Here is a link to their website where they show details of this cruise. http://www.zinfandel.org/default.asp?n1=10&n2=1061

Sorry to say that I would definitely be leary of this cruise. It is quite fortunate that you were able to learn about this group early on -- many times passengers do not learn that there is a group onboard until they board the ship.

I think you should look into this more. Groups do tend to take over some areas and we have seen Prime 7 and/or Signatures closed for their private events for one or two nights. If Regent or your TA cannot give you information, you may see if you can get information from the organization. Here is a link to their website where they show details of this cruise. http://www.zinfandel.org/default.asp?n1=10&n2=1061

Sorry to say that I would definitely be leary of this cruise. It is quite fortunate that you were able to learn about this group early on -- many times passengers do not learn that there is a group onboard until they board the ship.

Thanks for your advice Travelcat. Much appreciated. We have been able to find out that this group have reserved 50 suites which equates to 100 guests with over 50 booked already. I think that with this number we could feel quite marginalised, especially in the restaurants. So we have let our option go on this cruise too. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for your advice Travelcat. Much appreciated. We have been able to find out that this group have reserved 50 suites which equates to 100 guests with over 50 booked already. I think that with this number we could feel quite marginalised, especially in the restaurants. So we have let our option go on this cruise too. Back to the drawing board!

I think you are very wise - it would be quite a different experience on this cruise with such a large group onboard. :eek:

I'm confused. The ZAP group is going on Mariner from Istanbul to Barcelona next April. You mentioned that you are on Voyager, so why would this be a concern? Also, I was on the 2012 ZAP cruise from Auckland to Sydney. There were about 40 of us on a ship of 700+. I don't think it had any effect on other passengers (easy for me to say). We had one group dinner in Signatures, which took part (but not all) of the restaurant. On other nights, we did not dine as a group. Additional events were held in private meeting rooms on the ship. We also did a wine tasting for the entire ship, which people seemed to enjoy. I'm going on the 2013 cruise on Mariner and don't think it will be much different.

I'm confused. The ZAP group is going on Mariner from Istanbul to Barcelona next April. You mentioned that you are on Voyager, so why would this be a concern? Also, I was on the 2012 ZAP cruise from Auckland to Sydney. There were about 40 of us on a ship of 700+. I don't think it had any effect on other passengers (easy for me to say). We had one group dinner in Signatures, which took part (but not all) of the restaurant. On other nights, we did not dine as a group. Additional events were held in private meeting rooms on the ship. We also did a wine tasting for the entire ship, which people seemed to enjoy. I'm going on the 2013 cruise on Mariner and don't think it will be much different.

'

In post #50, the OP changed to the Mariner from Istanbul to Barcelona next April. Apparently the ZAP group has 100 suites reserved and already has half of them booked. IMO, 100-200 passengers could have a negative effect on passengers that are not part of the group. I believe that Regent and other cruise lines should be upfront about whether or not there are large groups on board. It should be up to the individual passenger as to whether they wish to sail with a group on board (JMHO)

Have you considered going back to the first cruise and deviating your air? There should be plenty of flights on airlines that you would enjoy and Regent would approve. Really love the first itinerary:)

Yes it was an excellent itinerary and I would have love to have seen Petra but we have done Israel twice already this year (once with Regent and once with Silversea) so have finally decided on our spring cruise and have gone for something completely different - transatlantic on Silver Cloud 22nd April Barbados to Lisbon. See you on the Silversea boards!

I just checked with the travel agency that is organizing the ZAP tour on Mariner next April. The group will consist of 60-65 people--not 100-200. 60-65 people out of 700+ sould not be noticable. Based on past experience, there may be one night when part of a restaurant is devoted to the group. The group has its own shore excursions in two ports, which will mean fewer people on other excursions. I really think the concern is much ado about nothing. Anyone who was on last year's ZAP cruise from Auckland to Sydney (especially those who were not part of the group) care to comment as to whether it was an issue?

According to the OP (who has gone on to book Silversea) stated that there were 50 suites booked for this group already. Also, the ZAP website advertises Regent's included excursions which they now say they will not be taking. Too much conflicting information here. Plus, 50 people is enough to close down Prime 7 and/or Signatures for one night each and would certainly make their presence known if even half of them congregated in any of the lounges.

Passengers who are part of these group are usually oblivious to the impact they are having on other passengers. On our last cruise, there were 21 of us that took a Regent 3-night pre-cruise trip. On two or three nights, we wanted to get together for a pre-dinner drink in the Observation Lounge (Voyager). By the time 10 people arrived, we had made quite a mess by moving chairs and tables around and finally ended up sitting and standing around for an hour or so. In retrospect, I'm sure we inconvenienced other passengers on the nights we were there.

Hi Travelcat. The information I am providing is directly from the group organizer. I don't know where you and the OP are getting information, but I suggest you stick to accurate sources. Otherwise, you end up causing unncecessary concern. Here are the facts:

-The group is 60-65 people--not 50 suites

-When the group congregates, it's in private reserved meeting rooms on the ship, not in public lounges

-If there is a group dinner, it will be one night in part of a restaurant

-As I already mentioned, there are private shore excursions in two of the ports. ZAP members can choose between those and the Regent excursions in those ports. In the remaining ports, ZAP members can join everyone else on Regent excursions.

I know you mean well, but there's no point in conjuring up scenarios based on speculation and innacurate information. Don't mean to sound cranky, but this is a case lesson in how rumors get started.

Hi Travelcat. The information I am providing is directly from the group organizer. I don't know where you and the OP are getting information, but I suggest you stick to accurate sources. Otherwise, you end up causing unncecessary concern. Here are the facts:

-When the group congregates, it's in private reserved meeting rooms on the ship, not in public lounges

-As I already mentioned, there are private shore excursions in two of the ports. ZAP members can choose between those and the Regent excursions in those ports. In the remaining ports, ZAP members can join everyone else on Regent excursions.

I know you mean well, but there's no point in conjuring up scenarios based on speculation and innacurate information. Don't mean to sound cranky, but this is a case lesson in how rumors get started.

If you look at page one you'll find a link to the ZAP website. I have only posted information regarding the group from there. I did suggest that the OP contact them and they apparently contacted someone who may have given inaccurate information. They obviously believed what they heard since they are not taking the cruise. The only advice we can give is based on what we are reading on a thread or our personal experience.

My comments in my last post was about my personal experience with "small" groups on Regent. If given a choice, we would not sail with a group of this size.

Hopefully this thread will have absolutely no effect on your cruise (other than one couple deciding not to sail on it) Enjoy the cruise:)

The information was given to me by e mail from Regent in London who in turn got the confirmation from Regent in the US. They informed us that over 50 suites had been reserved for this cruise by ZAP with the option of more if required. They confirmed that over half the suites had already been reserved. This was enough to make us decide against the cruise but I hope that you have a fabulous trip brownsf it is a great itinerary

Archived