Connection Time - Too Tight? - Venice - London - Toronto

Robroy

I could really use some advice on our return flight from Venice. We're flying BA Venice to London May 6th - leaving 1:40 arriving LHR 2:50 and connecting BA to Toronto at 4:20. We fly into Terminal 5 and onward from Terminal 5 also.

I assume (scary word right!) that our bags will be checked right through to Toronto but we will have passport control/immigration etc to contend with. I've checked the LHR website to get an idea of the layout and what steps to follow but am a bit concerned that we may be tight for time. Unfortunately that's the last BA flight to Toronto that day and there wasn't anything earlier from Venice that would work for us as we're coming off a cruise.

Rather than worry for six months I thought I'd consult the experts on this Board. Should I be concerned at this point? I should note that we'll be arriving in London on an A320.

Thanks for your help!

I have been looking into this as well. From what I have found, it is possible, but not recommended. Since you are not changing airlines are are booked on "one ticket", they will send your bags all the way through. It helps that you are not changing terminals either. you should be fine, but you are leaving yourself very little room for delays and such. Good luck.

I could really use some advice on our return flight from Venice. We're flying BA Venice to London May 6th - leaving 1:40 arriving LHR 2:50 and connecting BA to Toronto at 4:20. We fly into Terminal 5 and onward from Terminal 5 also.

I assume (scary word right!) that our bags will be checked right through to Toronto but we will have passport control/immigration etc to contend with. I've checked the LHR website to get an idea of the layout and what steps to follow but am a bit concerned that we may be tight for time. Unfortunately that's the last BA flight to Toronto that day and there wasn't anything earlier from Venice that would work for us as we're coming off a cruise.

Rather than worry for six months I thought I'd consult the experts on this Board. Should I be concerned at this point? I should note that we'll be arriving in London on an A320.

Thanks for your help!

You'll get off the Venice plane, follow the "flight connections" signs to Terminal 5 connections, go through a brief security check, and be released into the T5 shopping mall. No passports, no bag claim. Assuming you're given your boarding passes for the Toronto flight when you check in in Venice, all you have to do is look for the gate assignment for the Toronto flight (which may or may not already be posted - usually ca. 90 min. before flight) and go to the gate when it opens. That's it. You have more than enough time.

You really should be okay if everything is on-time. It'll be tight, so don't waste any time whatsoever until you're at least near your gate, but you should be okay if all is on time.

You will be coming off a smaller aircraft (A320), but still try to get as far forward in the cabin as you can for quicker exit. The walk to security can be kind of long, but not always. Also coming off the A320, there is less of a chance of having to take the train (in my experience), so that helps.

Security will be your longest line, but it should not be too awful. At times it can take longer than you would like, but if it starts getting really tight, just make your situation known to staff for the best chance of assistance. Only do this if it's really tight.

Thank you all for your helpful input. We're near the front of the A320 we arrive from Venice in so getting off and hustling on to our next flight shouldn't be a problem. Appreciate everyone's assistance - nice to have some peace of mind on that issue!

Rob

If you arrive at one of the two Terminal 5 satellite buildings rather than the main building, the Flight Connections route is the same as the Arrivals route. It takes you to escalators and lifts in the centre of the satellite building, which take you down to the transit (shuttle train), which takes you to the main building where you will clear security.

However, as you walk through the satellite building, look for all the flight connections information. This includes display screens which show the flights that are due to depart from the satellites in the near future. If your flight is shown on these screens, you will not have to go to the main building. You can instead follow the directions to the security checkpoint in the satellite building. That saves you the trek to the main building and back again (particularly as it's very likely that your London-Toronto flight will depart from one of the satellites).

Archived