Atlas Air

JFO23

I have yet to manage to have my luggage booked straight through if I fly through the US to Canada without having to claim my luggage, go through US immigration, and then have to recheck my luggage and clear security again. It is no different for Canadian citizens than what Hawaiidan encountered in Vancouver when they go into US airports from an international country.

This is exactly our experience when travelling to the UK through the US. Except on Air New Zealand through LAX where passengers do actually 'transit' and wait in a dedicated ANZ lounge area.

Because that's the only airport international transit I have ever experienced, where they did that. US to Singapore via Japan US to Fiji Via New Zealand

AND, FRA, lhr AMS. HKG CDG, LIM,ZRH, SIN, SYD ORD MIA,,JFK EWR, IAD,STL, DEN....LAX, and SFO

All HAVE A SMOOTH in transit whether I am an American returning from Europe or Asia or Australia and connecting in the US or through an intermediate country or not as a foreigner.

That's after 2 mil miles over 30 years.

If I am flying to a foreign destination from the US through several countries each connection is likewise smooth. it is all smooth as glass, you never have to leave the secure area have customs and re-check all within the security zone.. And always have a recheck of luggage in secure baggage.with an airline rep.... no need to re check in!

I suspect its a Canadian thing because when I did international business, Canada was, next to Saudi, the most difficult to deal with all the red tape.

This is not to slam the good folks of Canada, just this horrific airport..

We were on the flight on Feb 7th and having read some of the comments were a little nervous. We left from Toronto and there was some confusion as they checked some of the bags to Papeete and some to LAX. When we landed we were met by Oceania reps and claimed our luggage. There were about 40 bags missing . The rep piled all the luggage on porters trolleys and we walked about 200yds to the next terminal to check in at Atlas Air. This time it was all electronic boarding passes. We then went to the gate and Oceania reps went to sort out the missing bags and got word to us all they were loaded before we took off. We boarded a bus to get to the plane which was at the farthest end of the airport with all the Fed Ex planes so we were still aprehensive. What a surprise The crew were very friendly and there were lots of empty seats and we were encouraged to spead out and get comfy . People could lie across3or4 seats and sleep. The meals were excellent. We had dinner breakfast and several snacks and all the drinks were complimentary. It was and excellent flight. When we arrived in Papeete we got through customs quite quickly . We could have claimed our luggage but Oceania took it all to the ship whether you had a transfer or not as it would have taken longer to sort it. Their transfers are too expensive and there were lots of taxis. Our luggage was delivered to the room about 2hours later. I would have no hesitation recommending Atlas Air

In Vancouver you are entering the US. You go thru there and when you arrive in another US city it is as though you were on a domestic flight. It allows Vancouver to offer many US destinations without customs/immigration.

You go through both US and Canadian customs if you arrive in Canada from anywhere, even the US and are continuing on to the US, having originated in the US with no intention of visiting Canada !!! That's the problem in Vancouver.

Flying SFO to Seattle seems simple enough but there are some carriers/flights that fly SFO-Vancouver- Seattle with a plane change in Vancouver.

In that scenario, you have to go through Canadian customs, immigration, security and actually because of the airport design, have to walk out and then go to your airline and re check your bags, get new boarding passes, bag tags, security again US customs.

What I am saying is that in my experience the Vancouver airport puts a traveler in this instance through a very bad experience that is un-like any Airport I have ever experienced.

We were on the flight on Feb 7th and having read some of the comments were a little nervous. We left from Toronto and there was some confusion as they checked some of the bags to Papeete and some to LAX. When we landed we were met by Oceania reps and claimed our luggage. There were about 40 bags missing . The rep piled all the luggage on porters trolleys and we walked about 200yds to the next terminal to check in at Atlas Air. This time it was all electronic boarding passes. We then went to the gate and Oceania reps went to sort out the missing bags and got word to us all they were loaded before we took off. We boarded a bus to get to the plane which was at the farthest end of the airport with all the Fed Ex planes so we were still aprehensive. What a surprise The crew were very friendly and there were lots of empty seats and we were encouraged to spead out and get comfy . People could lie across3or4 seats and sleep. The meals were excellent. We had dinner breakfast and several snacks and all the drinks were complimentary. It was and excellent flight. When we arrived in Papeete we got through customs quite quickly . We could have claimed our luggage but Oceania took it all to the ship whether you had a transfer or not as it would have taken longer to sort it. Their transfers are too expensive and there were lots of taxis. Our luggage was delivered to the room about 2hours later. I would have no hesitation recommending Atlas Air

Thank you for your excellent review. We are flying in from Toronto in a few weeks. You answered a lot of my questions. I have a few others if you don't mind. How much was the taxi to the cruise terminal and aprox. how long did it take? Was there any dinner venues available when you boarded the ship? When did you end up doing the muster drill?

Thanks again.

We actually took the Oceania transfer as some of our group were nervous about it. Talking to other passengers a taxi seemed to be about $40-45 and took about 25mins. The muster drill was held at 10am the next morning before we arrived in Raitatea. We has eaten a lot on the plane so were not hungry when we arrived but the Terrace Cafe was open and room service was also available

Thank you for your excellent review. We are flying in from Toronto in a few weeks. You answered a lot of my questions. I have a few others if you don't mind. How much was the taxi to the cruise terminal and aprox. how long did it take? Was there any dinner venues available when you boarded the ship? When did you end up doing the muster drill?...
cutiepie:

Lyn & I are on the 18 Apr Atlas flight; I think that is the flight you are on. We have been researching taxis, as that is the route we are going. Apparently all checked luggage will be taken by Oceania directly to the Marina. Any interest in sharing a taxi?

Thom

cutiepie:

Lyn & I are on the 18 Apr Atlas flight; I think that is the flight you are on. We have been researching taxis, as that is the route we are going. Apparently all checked luggage will be taken by Oceania directly to the Marina. Any interest in sharing a taxi?

Thom

Absolutely. How do you want to meet up? We will be the couple in their early 30's with devastating good looks. :p

Bryan and Jennifer

We actually took the Oceania transfer as some of our group were nervous about it. Talking to other passengers a taxi seemed to be about $40-45 and took about 25mins. The muster drill was held at 10am the next morning before we arrived in Raitatea. We has eaten a lot on the plane so were not hungry when we arrived but the Terrace Cafe was open and room service was also available

Thank you for this valuable information as we too are traveling from Toronto using Atlas air. Your informatiom puts my mind at ease

Bob

Absolutely. How do you want to meet up? We will be the couple in their early 30's with devastating good looks. :p

Bryan and Jennifer

We are in our sixties - Lyn still has her good looks, but apparently you stole mine;) We have assigned seats 43 A&C on the Atlas Air flight, so certainly sometime during the seven hour flight you should be able to find us there. Do you have seat assignments?

We are hoping to get XPF [French Pacific francs, also known as Comptoirs Français du Pacifique (CFP)] from the ATM at PPT airport, but we will be carrying Euros [which have a fixed exchange rate of 1 EUR = 119.332 XPF (there is a long history involved in the evolution of this rate)] in addition to US dollars. I'm quite certain that between all that and plastic we will have something that the cab driver will willingly accept.

Thom

Atlas runs out of the charter/cargo area on the south side of LAX ( historical for the fact that is where you can see the original airport building) and operates several 747-400ER air craft( they are not 30 years old0 because the whole 747 line 400 series only began to be delivered in 1989).

People were checked in in the international terminal and bussed to the charter area where they were met by the Atlas crews... and surprised at the meals and free liquor that flowed ! The flight left LAX late in order to get late arriving passengers a chance to join. Its all coach 3-4-3 seating. Business class passengers were booked on Tahiti Nui.

Arrival in Tahiti ( a very small airport) was not geared to receive a thousand passengers ... Customs went quick. and Oceania took all the bags to the ship even if you did not book a transfer. Passengers who took the transfer had to wait to board the busses whereas people who took cabs just zipped off. !

THis is what I have gleaned from reading several reports... I will be flying April 14

We are in our sixties - Lyn still has her good looks, but apparently you stole mine;) We have assigned seats 43 A&C on the Atlas Air flight, so certainly sometime during the seven hour flight you should be able to find us there. Do you have seat assignments?

We are hoping to get XPF [French Pacific francs, also known as Comptoirs Français du Pacifique (CFP)] from the ATM at PPT airport, but we will be carrying Euros [which have a fixed exchange rate of 1 EUR = 119.332 XPF (there is a long history involved in the evolution of this rate)] in addition to US dollars. I'm quite certain that between all that and plastic we will have something that the cab driver will willingly accept.

Thom

We are in 37D and E. We bought 50,000 CFP for the trip to pay for some of the excursions and incidentals.

Archived