Atlas Air

JFO23

If you navigate the Atlas Site properly, you'll see what type of airplanes they charter out which is 98% of what you need to know:

http://www.atlasair.com/holdings/media-center.html

Actually those pictures provide exactly 0% of what the OP needs to know about a passenger charter as all of the pictures are of 747-400F Freighters and highly doubt O will be sending passengers on a freighter. Boeing used to build 747 Combi's which have passenger as well as freight capabilities but, don't think -400F's come in a passenger version.

Did find one spot where they mention passenger charters so perhaps they are able to convert the interior for passenger service. From what I can glean from the website, they have only bought freighters including the latest 747-8 so perhaps the pictures do reflect what you will fly on the charter or perhaps they have passenger planes not in the pictures. In any case enjoy your flight and cruise.

Atlas uses a 767-300ER, which has a passenger capacity of about 220-240

and can be configures with a first, Business and coach section..or all coach

Normal coach seats are 18 inches wide and on a 32 inch pitch but can be configured to 36 inch The seat pattern is 2-3-2 but can vairy to a

3-3-3 if desired.

considering that many aircraft seats are 17 to 17.2 wide and 31 inch pitch this is somewhat better

Normal first class section is 19 inch wide seat configured 2-2-2, if they have it with 38 inch pitch The seats only recline 7 inches from vertical so they are NOT like the lie flat ones

Normal coach seats are 18 inches wide and on a 32 inch pitch but can be configured to 36 inch The seat pattern is 2-3-2 but can vairy to a

3-3-3 if desired.

considering that many aircraft seats are 17 to 17.2 wide and 31 inch pitch this is somewhat better

Normal first class section is 19 inch wide seat configured 2-2-2, if they have it with 38 inch pitch The seats only recline 7 inches from vertical so they are NOT like the lie flat ones

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

We are also planning (at least at this point) on using Atlas Air although we are leaning towards requesting air deviation. I read on another post and roll call that a group is going to Tahiti in April - it would seem that some have received their flights and are going on Atlas Air while others are going on Air Tahiti Nui. Makes sense since it is 1200 pax on cruise that several airlines might be involved. I have no idea how selection is made. I have also read both good and very negative reviews about flights on Atlas Air.

Tahiti Nui is a jam pack flight with 31 pitch

Here is an option if you want to arrive earily

Fly to Hawaii then from Hawaii on saturdays ( only flight 1 per week) to Tahiti which is a 5.5 hour rather than the 9 hour LAX to PPT on Atlas.

Only catch is you arrive at 10 pm saturday evening on Hawaiian with a 767. Return flight is Sunday morning at 1 am ( same plane turn around)

Depending on your ship departure date and time you might have to spend up to 5 days in Tahiti waiting for the ship. While that might not seem a problem it can be a financial drain as it will run you close to $700 a day with food/hotel/transportation.

For me air tahiti nui has a huge advantage over atlas in that it departs lax 30 minutes earlier and arrive ppt 95 minutes earler. This is 65 less minutes flying time. So more time to enjoy dinner and marina before sailing.

3-3-3 if desired.

Link? Thanks.

For me air tahiti nui has a huge advantage over atlas in that it departs lax 30 minutes earlier and arrive ppt 95 minutes earler. This is 65 less minutes flying time. So more time to enjoy dinner and marina before sailing.

My Hawaiian brother may be tougher than me or may have forgotten that to get to Tahiti He has to take a 10 pm flight 5 hours long ( red-eye) to LAX and then change total terminals for a connection and deal with a 3 hour time change before boarding a 9 hour flight to PPT Thats a good 17 hours of non stop coach travel...:eek:.

I dont know about him, but I am here to say I am going to be whacked and beat sitting in coach. and the only thing I want to enjoy is a shower and a bed....

I will hazard a bet to say that the charters by Oceaina are not going to have first or business or even economy plus...

My Hawaiian brother may be tougher than me or may have forgotten that to get to Tahiti He has to take a 10 pm flight 5 hours long ( red-eye) to LAX and then change total terminals for a connection and deal with a 3 hour time change before boarding a 9 hour flight to PPT Thats a good 17 hours of non stop coach travel...:eek:.

I dont know about him, but I am here to say I am going to be whacked and beat sitting in coach. and the only thing I want to enjoy is a shower and a bed....

I will hazard a bet to say that the charters by Oceaina are not going to have first or business or even economy plus...

Dan, I only refere to what O offers. One either gets Atlas or Air Tahiti Nui from LAX. As I arrive LAX at 5.40 am ATN is the better flight. I am not the bit concerned with "pitch" only getting off the plane soon as possible. I have yet to deplane and wish I wasn't no matter the class of service. Air travel is for cattle; ship voyage for the civilized.:)

Quick question at LAX was baggage automaticly moved to Atlas air or do you need to pick it up and take yourself to Atlas check in?

We are flying in from Toronto. When I phoned Oceania they said that we will have to pick up our bags and then transfer to the Tom Bradley International terminal where Atlas will be located. She also said that there will be Oceania reps there to guide us through.

I was also told that the plane is a 3-4-3 configuration and there are aprox 450 seats. I asked for the specs on the plane and was told there are 17-20 rows for first class and 60ish rows total. I apologize for the estimates but I lost my sheet with the exact numbers that she gave me. :o

Archived