cancellation policy

RetiredRich

We are due to go in 18 days on the Dawn out of Tampa. I lifted something too heavy and now have a hernia around an emergency appendix scar from a few years ago. My doctor wanted to do surgery right away but said we could go on the cruise if I am very careful and don't lift anything. I am booked thru NCL and have travel insurance but can't find any info about refunds if I cancel. It doesn't hurt much but is getting bigger and I might cancel but don't want to loose my money. Any info appreciated.

I am booked thru NCL and have travel insurance but can't find any info about refunds if I cancel.

This would be one of those times to contact your travel insurance company. Is your insurance independent or through the cruise line? Call the insurance company FIRST. Let them know that you have experienced a medical accident and that you are unfit to travel. Ask what their process is.

Here's the most likely scenario.

You will cancel with NCL- they will issue you a 25% refund of your cruise fare.

you will then open a claim with the insurance company. They will probably ask for the following

1) an invoice of monies paid for the trip (if the whole thing is insured, that includes the cruise fare, flights, and non-refundable hotel deposits).

2) the cancellation policies for the cruise line, airline, and hotel

3) Proof of payment for any monies owned to you from the carriers (in this case the check or deposit statement from NCL)

4) Proof of need for cancellation- in this case a letter from your doctor stating you are not medically fit to travel. They may also request additional documentation from your doctor.

The process usually takes 30 days after they receive the documentation, and honestly, many companies try to duck claims, so you may have to ride them a bit and jump through some hoops, but in the end they normally come through.

We are due to go in 18 days on the Dawn out of Tampa. I lifted something too heavy and now have a hernia around an emergency appendix scar from a few years ago. My doctor wanted to do surgery right away but said we could go on the cruise if I am very careful and don't lift anything. I am booked thru NCL and have travel insurance but can't find any info about refunds if I cancel. It doesn't hurt much but is getting bigger and I might cancel but don't want to loose my money. Any info appreciated.

The cancellation policy is listed on your confirmation. Over 15 days out you are at 75% penalty less than that all. Check with whomever you bought the insurance from. One possibility would be get it done and recupe on the cruise. My hernia put me out for about a week.

Archived