Diamond Princess to Asia

Sailaway John

Thinking of booking a cruise from Sydney to Beijing on the Diamond Princess. We are Platinum cruisers. Then fly back from Beijing.

Has anyone done that cruise and if you have, what was it like? We would be cruising in March 2013.

Is it worth going to places like China, Japan, Korea, etc.?

Need some answers so that I can inform our T/A.

Thanks

Thinking of booking a cruise from Sydney to Beijing on the Diamond Princess. We are Platinum cruisers. Then fly back from Beijing.

Has anyone done that cruise and if you have, what was it like? We would be cruising in March 2013.

Thanks

Have not done that specific cruise, but the Diamond is a great ship which we have sailed from Singapore to Sydney. And, yes, it is worth going to China, Japan, Korea, etc.

Thanks

Yes we have done it and are doing it again on the Diamond in 2013. Our cruise leaves Sydney on 8th March..... are you gunna join us?

Did this trip two years ago on the Diamond fresh out of refit and loved it. We had a 4 day land package prior to the cruise and took in a number of the major sites and popular tourist destinations. The Marriott Great Wall was a lovely hotel although Beijing is one horribly polluted city. Some days visability wasn't much more than a city block or two. Our guide was proud to tell us how much better the air was after the Olympics. I shudder to think what it was like before!

The ports were all great and it was wonderful to see this part of the world. I will say that I have seen enough Budas to last the rest of my life though.

If you get the chance this is one cruise not to be missed.

Thanks

If it helps, there's a very active roll call thread going and tours are in place to join. I wish we could have booked at the current prices. Come and say g'day when you've booked ;)

Sailaway John

This is a great cruise. Went in 2011 & 2012 on the Diamond Princess. In 2011 finished it off with four days in Beijing doing the usual touristy things like the Great Wall, Summer Palace, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven & Tianamin Square. In 2012 we stayed on and completed the Beijing to Singapore leg with four days in Singapore seeing the sights. Really enjoyed South Korea and Nagasaki stops this year.

All good.

We've completed the Beijing to Bangkok cruise on the Diamond Princess with hotel/tour excursions. For us, China was the main reason we went and it was really worth spending the extra 4 days in Beijing (3 days on tour, 1 day on our own).

Just completing a 16 day Bangkok to Beijing with 12 days prior (7 in China and 5 in Bangkok). In a short note. Fabulous cruise. Exotic to the max. The things you see and the places to explore are wonderful. Go so that you end up in Beijing with the warmest weather possible. It will be below freezing when we arrive tomorrow and it was cold a month ago in mid Oct.

Diamond is a lovely ship and the crew is great. We had several emergency (helicopter evacuation and small fire from ciggie butt) but the crew preformed just as they should. Book It!

Archived