Arctic Wonders 2013

expatgal

Hi All!

My husband and I just booked the Arctic Wonders Cruise for the end of March. This is his first cruise, my third, but my other two were Hawaii and Mexico...very different!

Our boat is the Nordnorge. I'm hoping you can help me out with a few questions.

Should we bring two pairs of boots? Two coats?

I know I'm asking these questions WAY early, but we live in Kiev, Ukraine at the momment and are going home to Chicago for Christmas. We'll do all our shopping there for the cruise so wanted a good idea of the things we'll need to buy.

Is it fairly warm on the boat? Do people wear jeans/sweaters or sweatshirts on the boat? What is there to do on the boat if you aren't on an excursion or walking around a town? I realize this isn't a Norwegian or Carnival Cruise. There's no entertainment on board, right? Should we bring a card game?

If you aren't doing an excursion or a paid walk, can you still get off the boat and walk around the town?

Anything you wish you had brought, but didn't?

Has anyone done the Tromso Dog Sledding or the Snowmobile trip in Lapland? Those are the excursions we are thinking of doing. Oh, and the King Crab Ice fishing in Kirkenes.

Thank you in advance!

Expatgal

I have done this trip three times already (booked for the fourth one next February! ;) ), including one in March 2012 (you can see my trip report on my blog starting here. This trip was on the MS Lofoten which is the oldest boat and different from the MS Nordnorge which is more recent and more "comfortable").

I usually carry two pair of shoes : one pair of "snow boots" (similar to those) and one pair of waterproof hiking shoes. I use the hiking shoes on the boat and the snow boots when I go ashore (if there is snow in the streets, or on excursion). I have only one coat which is a waterproof/windproof jacket (mine is a sailor's jacket but a ski parka could be fine or any windproof/waterproof coat) and then various layers underneath. Except in the far North it actually doesn't get that cold because of the influence of the Gulf Stream, but the wind can give a feeling of cold.

On the boat itself it is fairly warm. You can dress however you like, there is no dress code, the atmosphere is casual, even for dinner.

This is a trip where all the entertainment is provided by the nature outside the boat, and this is a priceless entertainment if you like beautiful landscapes. The ship's route is close to shore most of the time so you are actually cruising through fjords and mountains 24/7 . And of course at night, if the weather is clear, you can see the Northern Lights. So you will either spend time on the outside decks, or in one of the various ship's lounge that allow for outside watching. There is very little entertainment provided by the cruise itself so you can bring a deck of cards if you want or books... Everytime the ship calls in a port (which is 2/3 times a day on average) you can get on and off the boat as you please (as long as you are back on time).

The only excursion I've done is the North Cape (which is quite nice to do in winter), but I've heard nice things about the Dog Sledging in Tromso. The Snowmobile trip is great also I think but it may get cancelled if the weather is bad.

Don't forget : your camera, binoculars, things to keep your extremities warm (hat, gloves, including "light" gloves so that you can take pictures without freezing your fingers).

As you can guess it's a trip that I find absolutely wonderful so I hope you have a good time!

• 2 weeks later...

SarniaLo, you had answered my questions about clothing on another thread, and I've taken you advice. I've bought a pair of snow boots which are fairly light weight and will work well as rain boots. I already have a pair of lace-up boots for walking on city streets. I'll take one additional pair of shoes for wearing on the ship.

I've bought one pair of ski pants, two pair of thermal underwear but not silk which I know would be better but also more costly. I've bought one pullover sweater and a knit cap. I have gloves that might work, but I want to get gloveliners whether I use the ones I have or not. I bought a quilted down vest that is lightweight and which I can wear here on mild winter days. I've decided my winter coat with a hood will suffice as it is lined with faux fur and works as a raincoat.

I'm ready! And excited.

The ski pants are maybe not necessary (I usually just wear a thermal underwear under my ordinary trousers, or when it's very cold tights + underwear + trousers), I find it more versatile for indoors/outdoors. But I've seen people with ski pants so why not. They will keep you warm (and they will protect you from the wind efficiently).

Other than that it seems you are pretty well set! ;)

The ski pants are maybe not necessary (I usually just wear a thermal underwear under my ordinary trousers, or when it's very cold tights + underwear + trousers), I find it more versatile for indoors/outdoors. But I've seen people with ski pants so why not. They will keep you warm (and they will protect you from the wind efficiently).

Other than that it seems you are pretty well set! ;)

Thanks for saying I'm pretty well set. Since I live in a mild climate where even the winters aren't harsh even though I'm in North Carolina, I didn't want to spend much which is why I bought inexpensive items or things like the vest which I can wear when it's in the 50s here. The ski pants fit the inexpensive category. My legs get cold so I'll probably wear them as extra protection.

• 1 month later...

HI All, I have a trip booked for the Arctic Highlights at the end of February and also would like info on optional tours. Have decided to do Huskie sledging in Tromso could anyone advise which company to use, and also has anyone done the snowmobile safari with Hurtigruten as that looks like fun. Looking forward to our trip as its not so long off now and have enjoyed reading all your helpful posts on clothing etc.

I had several hats: a heavy winter lambs wool hat that gave great protection when it was cold and windy, a beanie for "warmer" weather, and another beanie for the Jacuzzi. We sat in the Jacuzzi every afternoon before dinner. The water was warm, but the air cold, so the beanie kept my head warm. Often the Jacuzzi beanie got wet on the edges, so I didn't wear it at other times. If your boat has a Jacuzzi, don't forget something to wear up and back - I forgot to bring flip flops and had to wear my regular shoes. Suite passengers had a robe and slippers to use, but not the rest of us.

I also wore long underwear under my pants - I could tolerate not having them, but my legs would be cool. It was much more comfortable with the long underwear. We had some rain, so I also had a lightweight rain jacket and pants to wear over my clothes. The rain gear also is a great windbreaker for nights on deck looking for the northern lights.

It was a fabulous trip that I thoroughly enjoyed.

HI All, I have a trip booked for the Arctic Highlights at the end of February and also would like info on optional tours. Have decided to do Huskie sledging in Tromso could anyone advise which company to use

Being relatively inexperienced at the time, we took the Hurtigruten husky trip in Tromso and we were not disappointed.

We signed up for the Tromso husky trip, but it got cancelled because of weather. Fortunately, we also signed up for a husky ride in Kirkenes, and we thoroughly enjoyed the ride. There was time to walk through the Ice Hotel (very interesting place), see the reindeer, and see the puppies and where the huskies live. Unlike our husky ride in Alaska, we did not get to play with the puppies or other dogs. In Kirkenes the husky ride goes around a lake - the ride was beautiful and very relaxing. I don't know how often the Tromso tour is cancelled, but we were glad we had the Kirkenes one booked.

I had several hats: a heavy winter lambs wool hat that gave great protection when it was cold and windy, a beanie for "warmer" weather, and another beanie for the Jacuzzi. We sat in the Jacuzzi every afternoon before dinner. The water was warm, but the air cold, so the beanie kept my head warm. Often the Jacuzzi beanie got wet on the edges, so I didn't wear it at other times. If your boat has a Jacuzzi, don't forget something to wear up and back - I forgot to bring flip flops and had to wear my regular shoes. Suite passengers had a robe and slippers to use, but not the rest of us.

I also wore long underwear under my pants - I could tolerate not having them, but my legs would be cool. It was much more comfortable with the long underwear. We had some rain, so I also had a lightweight rain jacket and pants to wear over my clothes. The rain gear also is a great windbreaker for nights on deck looking for the northern lights.

It was a fabulous trip that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks for the heads up about packing something to wear to and from the hot tub as well as some slippers. I hadn't even thought about that. I'll also take a beanie to wear in the hot tub. What would I do without people to tell me these things?

Beth

Archived