Live from the star princess

cruiselvr1

:) WE ARE SITTING IN BEAUTIFUL HILO HAWAII.

Embarkation from SFO was a breeze. This was my DW's first cruise as a platinum, we were on the ship by noon. I think we brought too much luggage, because when we unloaded at the curb someone who was disembarking wondered how many people were cruising with us. We wondered how they could do a 16 day cruise with only one bag each.:o Lucky for us, our embarkation day was the warmest day in history in November for SF, It was 81 degrees. Sailing under the GG bridge, the sunset was gorgeous. We were happy to see a larger table and the blue mat flooring was still there on our Caribe balcony (C318). The next day we, had our M&G, about 16 attended and had a good time meeting people we have talked to on our roll call. Our first port of call, was Hilo. My DW loves flowers, so we took the botanical garden tour.She was in heaven, and did not want to leave. Now she says I have to bring her back there some day so she can spend more time....Great! (As you can tell I am not a flower lover).We were thinking of walking around after our tour dropped us off at the port but found out that its about 3 miles to get to anything by foot. So we just got lunch and sat on the balcony.Our next port will be Honolulu. The sail-away is in about 2 hours. we will post more at that time. Now its time for wine or a martini or maybe both if we can't decide.

Thanks for posting a "Live From"

Our friends Kathy (NH Educator) and Dave (Coach Mac) from New Hampshire are in your meet and greet.

If you have another get together, please say Hi from Jay & Linda.

Enjoy!

Jay:D

LIVE FROM THE STAR.... Well here I am again.....This time its the DW talking to you.We were in Honolulu yesterday.We walked to Safeway early and then just walked around town after lunch. I could not believe that most of the stores were closed being it was Sunday.I was a little disappointed until I came across a 2 ft high cement wall separating the sea from the sidewalk and stuck my head over the side just to see what was there and to my surprise there was all kinds of colorful fish.That made my day! Today we are in Kauai. We did not take any excursions but opted to walk around on our own. There are all kinds of free shuttles that take you to Walmart, K-mart, Hilo Hattie's, And a local small shopping mall that you can walk to faster than the shuttles can drive you.I guess you can rent a car here because all the companies had their vans parked at the port to take you to where you could rent one. After we walked around, we came back to the ship to relax.Not much else to do if your not going on a shore excursion or renting a car. I should mention that the food in the dining room has been very good. So far Lobster or snails (ha ha) has not been on the menu.We went to the Crown Grill on the first formal night and I can report that is was fantastic. On a sad note on the first 3 days out of San Francisco there was one medical code red call each day. I sure hope all is well with those people.To: JayNH If I see her I will say Hi for you. To: WHOO & TRISHBEBEARS Dont worry its not too much longer until your cruise's. Its time to go do some laundry.I will report on Maui tomorrow.

I guess you can rent a car here because all the companies had their vans parked at the port to take you to where you could rent one.

Thanks again for your "live" report! I just wanted to emphasize that people should reserve a rental car in advance. Many times we have seen people turned away when asking those rental car shuttle drivers if they have cars available. You can cancel the day of arrival if you need to, but you can't depend on cars being available on the day you decide you'd like to rent one unless you are just very lucky!!

I guess you can rent a car here because all the companies had their vans parked at the port to take you to where you could rent one.

Thanks again for your "live" report! I just wanted to emphasize that people should reserve a rental car in advance. Many times we have seen people turned away when asking those rental car shuttle drivers if they have cars available. You can cancel the day of arrival if you need to, but you can't depend on cars being available on the day you decide you'd like to rent one unless you are just very lucky!!

This is so true!

OP, I hope fair weather continues to follow you.:)

I was on the previous Star Princess cruise to Hawaii and we were also in Honolulu on Sunday. If you want to see the Polyenisian Cultural Center, make sure to pick an itinerary that does not have a Sunday call in Honolulu as it's closed on Sundays...

That said, I went down to Waikiki and found ALL the stores were open there. You can easily shuttle down from the pier or a cab ride is about $20 with tip.

LIVE FROM THE STAR.... There are all kinds of free shuttles that take you to Walmart, K-mart, Hilo Hattie's

FYI. When we took the free shuttle to Hilo Hatties, the line to come back to the ship (every 45 minutes) was long. I immediately punched up cabs on my iPhone and called the first name that came up. The Mini van/cab just happened to be across the street and arrived in under 2 minutes. The cost for a carload of people back to the ship 15.00. He offered, as an option to take us on an island tour for 100.00. We opted for the tour and 4 hours later, he dropped us off at the ship. Very worth the money and there were 6 of us. Next visit, I will just negotiate a full day cab rental and do our own thing. Too much time can be lost dealing with free shopping shuttles and you miss all the scenic stuff anyway.

Hi There

Thanks for posting this cruise still on the bucket list.

yours Shogun

Wait a minute...hold the phone...back up the bus....Little ole me is going to be on the Star Princess for a Hawaiian cruise doing this cruise before Shogun? I can't believe it....just can't believe it. I'll report back when we get back.:o

FYI. When we took the free shuttle to Hilo Hatties, the line to come back to the ship (every 45 minutes) was long. I immediately punched up cabs on my iPhone and called the first name that came up. The Mini van/cab just happened to be across the street and arrived in under 2 minutes. The cost for a carload of people back to the ship 15.00. He offered, as an option to take us on an island tour for 100.00. We opted for the tour and 4 hours later, he dropped us off at the ship. Very worth the money and there were 6 of us. Next visit, I will just negotiate a full day cab rental and do our own thing. Too much time can be lost dealing with free shopping shuttles and you miss all the scenic stuff anyway.

My hubby did this in Mazatlan and Ochos Rios, so we got a city tour from a local both times.

Enjoying the live from the Stars (first Pia's, and now yours) as it's a comparison from the LA Hawaiian cruises (we've done that one twice and plan another one as we can drive to San Pedro). Hopefully you'll have a good set of Hawaiian activities. Are there Hawaiian-set movies on MUTS and in-cabin?

:) WE ARE SITTING IN BEAUTIFUL HILO HAWAII.

Embarkation from SFO was a breeze. This was my DW's first cruise as a platinum, we were on the ship by noon. I think we brought too much luggage, because when we unloaded at the curb someone who was disembarking wondered how many people were cruising with us. We wondered how they could do a 16 day cruise with only one bag each.:o Lucky for us, our embarkation day was the warmest day in history in November for SF, It was 81 degrees. Sailing under the GG bridge, the sunset was gorgeous. We were happy to see a larger table and the blue mat flooring was still there on our Caribe balcony (C318). The next day we, had our M&G, about 16 attended and had a good time meeting people we have talked to on our roll call. Our first port of call, was Hilo. My DW loves flowers, so we took the botanical garden tour.She was in heaven, and did not want to leave. Now she says I have to bring her back there some day so she can spend more time....Great! (As you can tell I am not a flower lover).We were thinking of walking around after our tour dropped us off at the port but found out that its about 3 miles to get to anything by foot. So we just got lunch and sat on the balcony.Our next port will be Honolulu. The sail-away is in about 2 hours. we will post more at that time. Now its time for wine or a martini or maybe both if we can't decide.

We were on the cruise before yours also and it was one of our best cruises ever. Enjoy. I look forward to more from you.

We were unable to post in Maui, my AT&T hot spot wouldn't work. Today I am trying the ship's INTERNET. My DW and I had a wonderful day walking in Lahaina, a lot of great shops. We were supposed to leave at 5, but the last tender didn't arrive back until 5:45. The crew on this ship is great. We have the early dinner, but once in a while we like to eat at the Horizon Court. :) They have so many people working, that if your water glass is half empty, they are there to fill it again. Just be nice, and say please and thank you. :mad: You wouldn't believe how many people treat the workers has if they are servants, or worst. I have to watch how long I am on, I am using my DW platinum Min's. This has no doubt been the best cruise (except for our wedding cruise) we have been on. The Star is a wonderful ship, with a great Captain. Today is our first day of our four sea days, we both love sea days. My DW will probably do the next.

Just be nice, and say please and thank you. :mad: You wouldn't believe how many people treat the workers has if they are servants, or worst.

I was noticing this too on my Star Princess cruise. Why is is that people can't say "please" or "thank you?" I noticed that this trip seemed to be pretty bad when it came to rude passenger interaction with staff and crew. And most of it came from elderly people who should know better. Talk about Ugly Americans.

They have so many people working, that if your water glass is half empty, they are there to fill it again. Just be nice, and say please and thank you. :mad: You wouldn't believe how many people treat the workers has if they are servants, or worst.

I was noticing this too on my Star Princess cruise. Why is is that people can't say "please" or "thank you?" I noticed that this trip seemed to be pretty bad when it came to rude passenger interaction with staff and crew. And most of it came from elderly people who should know better. Talk about Ugly Americans.

It is sad indeed. Especially since the staff and crew on the Star were one of the nicest, friendliest, and most helpful I've ever encountered. And they weren't just rude to crew/staff they were rude to fellow passengers as well. I don't know what causes people to have that kind of attitude and sense of entitlement but it's wrong.

Archived