Wellington Shore Tours

How far out of Wellington did you have in mind?

Last year we spend a couple of hours on a city tour which covered all the regular points of interests such as Houses of Parliament, Rose Garden, the Wellington Cable Car, Old St Pauls and then up to Mt Victoria for a scenic view. Was a couple of hours well spent and we picked the tour up from a private operator at the front of the iSite in town.

This might be a useful link?

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/australia

I was wanting to see the countryside nearby. We have done the cable car etc on our last visit.

Was there many operators that you could book through at the ISite?

When we dropped by the iSite it was packed and there was plenty of tourism offerings but given that the office was wall to wall with backpackers finding something and booking in a timely fashion might be difficult.

Have you thought of hiring a car for the day and just going for a drive for a look see? As you would be very aware NZ is such a compact country that it doesn't take very long to clear the city limits and get out of the CBD.

There is an excellent car museum to the north of the city if your interests go that far http://www.southwardcarmuseum.co.nz/

It would take approx an hour to get there and then you could meander back using the maps and guides that are given out freely at iSites and make up your own discovery tour?

Drive in Wellington...EEEK..:eek:...No Way.

They drive like maniacs there.:D

Its hard enough crossing the road , let alone driving.

:D

but there is such a lovely big highway leading north of out town - the only part of Wellington I was allowed to see on our last road trip through ... :D

It depends a little on your interests, but a couple of ideas spring to mind. How do you feel about New Zealand's food and wine? Wairarapa wine region is just over the hill - from the cruise terminal, about 1.15 hour away. You could tee up a tour in advance with a company like Zest Food Tours or Flat Earth to whisk you over for a tailored day 'over the hill' as we locals like to say.

Ship tours often include the Storm Coast tour out to Pencarrow Heads - it's about 50 minutes on the other side of the harbour and you're getting great views back to the city from a very special spot. If you haven't been to Zealandia, that's just 10 minutes away from the city using a free shuttle from the i-SITE, but you'll feel like you're a long way from civilisation.

Another option is to visit Somes/Matiu Island which is in the middle of Wellington Harbour - sort of getting away from it all but still nice and close to the city. Again, Flat Earth Tours have an option out here or you can do it yourself using East by West Ferries service from Wellington waterfront. Have a look at http://www.wellingtonnz.com/sights_activities/results?filter_saa_type=219for some options you can book yourself - or book ahead through Wellington i-SITE as it can be busy if it's a large ship or a double day in Wellington.

It depends a little on your interests, but a couple of ideas spring to mind. How do you feel about New Zealand's food and wine? Wairarapa wine region is just over the hill - from the cruise terminal, about 1.15 hour away. You could tee up a tour in advance with a company like Zest Food Tours or Flat Earth to whisk you over for a tailored day 'over the hill' as we locals like to say.

Ship tours often include the Storm Coast tour out to Pencarrow Heads - it's about 50 minutes on the other side of the harbour and you're getting great views back to the city from a very special spot. If you haven't been to Zealandia, that's just 10 minutes away from the city using a free shuttle from the i-SITE, but you'll feel like you're a long way from civilisation.

Another option is to visit Somes/Matiu Island which is in the middle of Wellington Harbour - sort of getting away from it all but still nice and close to the city. Again, Flat Earth Tours have an option out here or you can do it yourself using East by West Ferries service from Wellington waterfront. Have a look at http://www.wellingtonnz.com/sights_activities/results?filter_saa_type=219for some options you can book yourself - or book ahead through Wellington i-SITE as it can be busy if it's a large ship or a double day in Wellington.

Have to agree Pencarrow station, storm coast trip was wonderful with the ships tour. Only about $70 each i think. So scenic, we could see all the way to the south Island :D

Archived