Kids and wristbands....

snoopy5386

Considering a Carnival Cruise with our 2 & 6 year old daughters mainly because our 2 year old would be able to have full use of the kid's club. I just read that all kids under 11 must wear a wristband the entire cruise and I know already that this will be a huge problem for my kids. We cruised Disney when my oldest was 3.5 and she only had to wear a bracelet in the kid's club. She hated it and refused to go in part because of the wristband.

My 6 year old I can reason with and get her to keep the bracelet on during the day but I imagine she'll want it off at night for sleeping. Can I get her a new one each day?

The 2 year old, she is a tough nut and very picky about what she wears. She wore a bathing suit nearly every single day of the summer and now refuses a coat even in 40 degree temperatures! She is not a kid who will forget the bracelet is on her wrist or ankle. When we have forced the clothing issue with her it just results in epic tantrums and her removing the offending clothing herself. Repeat over and over. I'm really worried about this.

The cruise is on a relative's dime and so we are not in charge of much in terms of this vacation. In other words, we can't choose a different type of vacation or wait until the kids are older. Our only choice is not to go at all and I'd rather not miss out on a free cruise over a wristband.

Any tips from BTDT cruisers?

The wristband is required for the whole cruise, not just at the kid's club. It is designed to help the crew get the kids to the right muster station if there is an emergency.

My 10 year old wasn't fond of it, but he did ok. I have a kid with sensory issues -- you may just have to negotiate with her. Or you could call and talk to Carnival about it?

Can you fasten the wrist band to a lanyard or bracelet or something else she is keen to wear. Can you fold the wristband and put in a pouch or pin it on.

My daughter would probably go for it if it was in a or attached to a sparkly bracelet or lanyard or one with a character that she loves. Could you link it to a present for the cruise too? So it's something she wants to wear, if everyone has lanyards with key cards will she want one too?

As you probably know children change at this age and by the time you cruise she may have an issue with something different and be OK, I would book the cruise and worry nearer the time (obviously cruise may be next month so not as valid!!)

Gillian.

I believe in offering choices to kids to help them develope decision making skills.

However, I firmly feel that there are non negotiable issues in life. One of these

may save from injury or even a life. Once I said non-negotiable the subject was closed.

Grandsons hated the armbands but knew it was a non-negotiable subject. Taught that to

the kids from infancy

I had the same issue with my youngest (sensory issues as well). And she realized that she could slide the thing off her wrist at night (and she did).

Ironically enough - after all of the worry and stressing - she started to become so used to wearing them that I would have to cut them off in her sleep - one time a month after the cruise.

So I guess my point is to tell her it's like an amusement park - it's her "ticket to ride the boat". Make it a matter of fact. Non negotiable.

Yes I have been dealing 8 years with a VERY strong willed child - so I know what you are going through. Getting dressed every morning is a nightmare. She refuses to wear jeans (they feel funny). Socks - they MUST be positioned correctly. Sneakers on phys Ed days - she hates them.

But there are things that I don't negotiate with - Muster bands are one of those things. And she has been on over a dozen cruises and accepted it. ;)

Thanks all. Like I said, I think the 6 year old will complain, but she will be fine in the end.

It's the two year old that is the wild card.....I will make her wear it, but it will mean epic tantrums every single day of the cruise, if not more than once a day. Not exactly how I want to spend my vacation.

Mine have always done fine. Sometimes they complain about it but we just keep reinforcing that its required for for all kids on the cruise and that is the end of it. Once they see other kids wearing it, they drop the subject. My DD has taken it off before but a security officer has always made us put another one on.

I believe in offering choices to kids to help them develope decision making skills.

However, I firmly feel that there are non negotiable issues in life. One of these

may save from injury or even a life. Once I said non-negotiable the subject was closed.

Grandsons hated the armbands but knew it was a non-negotiable subject. Taught that to

the kids from infancy

I agree completely. Just like car seats/seat belts in the car, some things are non-negotiable. Put it on tight enough so that they can't slip it off, but not so tight that it hurts. You may get an initial tantrum, but they will get used to it. I only cruised once with my kids when they were little, and I had strong-willed, sensory issues, ADHD, etc. They were so excited about the cruise that they didn't even care about the arm bands, even my 2 year old daughter, who had screamed every time we put her in a car seat her entire first year of life.

Don't worry about it, don't make a fuss over it, just do it. You will survive. :)

Thanks all. Like I said, I think the 6 year old will complain, but she will be fine in the end.

It's the two year old that is the wild card.....I will make her wear it, but it will mean epic tantrums every single day of the cruise, if not more than once a day. Not exactly how I want to spend my vacation.

Do you know the easiest way to end a tantrum? Walk away from it. She won't throw a tantrum when she doesn't have an audience.

Again - non negotiable. Just like the car won't start without the children being in the car seat (yes I used that).

She can't get on the ship without a bracelet. Tell her that she can't go swimming without it. Or go to the beach. Make it something she will want to wear.

Archived