tripods & monopods

seadancer

I just have a monfrotto monopod with ballhead for now but was curious if its a problem carrying it onboard past the screeners or should I put in the the checked luggage??

Velbon UltraMaxi and occasionally a Giottos monopod. Both have traveled in checked and carry-on luggage with no issues.

They average about .8 uses per trip except for Alaska were the longer glass likes the monopod.

Dave

I just have a monfrotto monopod with ballhead for now but was curious if its a problem carrying it onboard past the screeners or should I put in the the checked luggage??

On the x-ray, it looks like a rifle. Been there!:eek: Some other items in my backpack had aligned with it to appear as the gunstock and the monopod was the barrel. It didn't take much explaining, though once the screener looked at it. Made for a good laugh in the end.

I did find over the last few cruises that I didn't use it much, so probably will leave it at home next cruise. I'm usually able to make do with whatever is around if I need to steady the camera for a slow shutter speed.

I was thinking that i would probably get better shots of the ship using one. I'm one of the early risers so i would be taking advantage of the quiet ship to get some interior shots. Maybe even some good sunrise shots.

I shoot with a Sony and the in-body stabilization makes my ultra-wide and even the 50mm f/1.4 hand-holdable to ridiculously slow shutter speeds. Between that and some judicious of local objects ("table-pod", "wall-pod", etc.) to brace against, I have only used my tripod a few times for interior or early shots. It is small so I still carry it, but it doesn't see much action.

"Rail-Pod"

p843423186-4.jpg

Hand-held ½ sec.

p900395761-5.jpg

Actual tripod used in elevator (early!)

p268902995-4.jpg

Dave

I take tripod and monopod with both in my checked luggage.

As previously stated, a monopod inside a carryon bag looks like a rifle barrel and will necessitate a hand search. Perhaps just placing it separately in one of those security trays will make things smoother.

I was thinking that i would probably get better shots of the ship using one. I'm one of the early risers so i would be taking advantage of the quiet ship to get some interior shots. Maybe even some good sunrise shots.

That's exactly why I bring one, great detail shots at f8. :)

Have a question similar to the topic of this thread. I have some disability problems that requires a cane at times for support. I am vain and do not use it all the time but do need the support at times. I also enjoy my photography and desire a quality monopod/walking stick/cane for our upcoming cruise. Any questions would be appreciated.

Have a question similar to the topic of this thread. I have some disability problems that requires a cane at times for support. I am vain and do not use it all the time but do need the support at times. I also enjoy my photography and desire a quality monopod/walking stick/cane for our upcoming cruise. Any questions would be appreciated.

Take a look at the Leupold Trek Pod for a tripod convertable or the Promaster Monopod/Walking Stick for a dual-purpose monopod.

Dave

I use my tripod at home only. I travel with the monopod, it's carrying case has a sling type handle that I attach to my rolling camera bag's handle. It's easy to access if security wants to see what it is. I rarely travel with checked luggage so everything has to be carry on capable.

I brought a $35 tripod on my last cruise (in my carry on) just to take pictures of my wife and I together, it never left the room.

I'll always take one from now on for that purpose. I've spent many times balancing a chair on top of a coffee table with some books trying to get the camera high enough for a picture. :)

Archived