Cruise in Feb. or March?

wailea4me

We are going to take a South American cruise in 2013 between Buenos Aires and Rio with various stops in between. We are looking at a date in Feb. and a date in March 2013. Are there pros or cons to either month? We like the date in March better but are concerned about too much rain.

We are going to take a South American cruise in 2013 between Buenos Aires and Rio with various stops in between. We are looking at a date in Feb. and a date in March 2013. Are there pros or cons to either month? We like the date in March better but are concerned about too much rain.

You don't say whether you will be spending much time in either city pre or post cruise, but Buenos Aires is very hot and muggy in Feb. Many businesses close for a couple of weeks during Feb and the city is less lively than it is in March so March would be better to spend some days in BA. Rio's carnaval is in early Feb 2013 so if the cruise were to port in Rio during carnaval, you would probably pay a premium.

There is not siginificantly more rain in March than in Feb in either area. I would opt for March unless you specificlly wanted to visit Rio during carnaval.

• 2 weeks later...

In February (mainly before the Carnaval 8-13) most of the brazilian families are on vacation, so you'll probably find both cities more crowded in Feb than in March. It's a great point to consider, as I assume you will be visiting touristic places and attractions and standing in lines with the hot summer weather is not a good combination :)

I would time this to avoid the Carnaval as others have said. Either month is fine. I like second half of February and if you do March go early as you'll have better views of penguins in places such as Ottway Bay by avoiding say later in March.

Bottom line I would just time this to arrive after Carnaval.

Keith

We are bookeed on the Oceania Regatta departing Rio Feb 22. We are booked into the Copacabna Palace hotel from Feb 19 to the 22.This way we avoided Carnivale.We arrive into BA on March 6th then going on a post for 3 days to Iguazu falls.

Check it out

Archived