Bermuda Bus ?

Definitely buy the bus/ferry pass. It's just a short walk to both. They'll tell you what number bus to get on....It's real easy. You will love Horseshoe Bay. One of my all time favorite beaches. When you get there you will have to walk down a very steep hill to get to the beach. When you are ready to leave, there is a guy with a van that will drive you to the top of the hill for $1 to catch the bus. It's a steep climb.

If you are able rent a moped and travel it yourself. No waiting, come and go as you like. It is a beautiful ride as well traveling along the shoreline, stopping off at various stores. I know the ship does not recommend it, mainly because people get drunk and ride them like knuckleheads but by far it is the easiest way. There is a bus stop outside the main gate as well. Make sure if you dont have a pass you have exact change. It used to be a dollar, not sure anymore what it is up to since my last visit 3 years ago. Have fun.

I spent 13 days in Bermuda about 10 years ago, and we made extensive use of the bus system. I highly recommend it, but would also like to offer a few tips.

Cruise passengers stick out like sore thumbs! Some of the local residents complained about them tracking sand and drippy wet suits on the bus. Remember these people are just going home from work, or to the store, they don't want to sit on your wet seat.

Everyone is very polite. It is customary for each passenger to greet the driver when you board with a "good morning" or a "good day". He will reply back to you! It is also customary to say "Thank you" to the driver as you get off. He will say "you're welcome"!

The school children use the same busses for their transportation home, so be aware that if you are using the busses during that time, there will be kids with you. They almost all greet the driver upon boarding and exiting the bus as well.

You do need to check the schedules for when each route stops running. I stayed on the south shore, and I think the busses stopped around 9. That was 10 years ago, so most likely different now.

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience, and greatly added to the enjoyment of the stay. On an amusing note, we were riding the bus to St. George one day and dropped off some folks at the airport.. they had their luggage and everything else with them... this greatly irritated an elderly island resident! Apparently by this time my buddy and I had figured out how to blend in... after they got off the bus, the lady turned to us and exclaimed "Those !@#$@ tourists! Don't they know they're supposed to take a cab to the airport?!?!?"

That moment was the highlight of the trip! ;)

Theron

If you are able rent a moped and travel it yourself. No waiting, come and go as you like. It is a beautiful ride as well traveling along the shoreline, stopping off at various stores. I know the ship does not recommend it, mainly because people get drunk and ride them like knuckleheads but by far it is the easiest way. There is a bus stop outside the main gate as well. Make sure if you dont have a pass you have exact change. It used to be a dollar, not sure anymore what it is up to since my last visit 3 years ago. Have fun.

Ah yes, the mopeds! Remember they drive on the "wrong" side of the road over there!!! And a word of caution, the phrase "road rash" is common vocabulary in Bermuda. There is a reason for this! :eek:

Theron

The #7 is the bus that does dockyard runs. Be aware that the buses run more infrequently after 6 pm. We had difficultly getting back to the ship one night due to this fact. Taxi's are very expensive. Scooters are dangerous and not worth the risk IMHO.

I agree with everything Theron said, the buses are still wonderful 10 years later! Because there were so many VOS passengers in the Dockyards wanting to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach, they ended up sending us a special bus going back and forth at regular intervals. It worked out very nicely. I hope they're still using that when you go. Allow for about 30 minutes.

How far is it from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay?

To give you a visual perspective, look here:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/north_america/bermuda/bermuda.htm

Horseshoe Bay is in the South Shore Park area.

A more detailed map (of the natural features, but no roads) can be found here, but note that the direction is not North oriented:

http://www.ehi.com/travel/carib/bermuda/hot_map1.html

You can see Horseshoe Bay on the right side of that map right next to the Princess Golf Course.

Hope that helps!

Theron

One of our best days was on a bus in Bermuda from the Dockyard to Hamilton.

Little hint: Look for the bus sitting by itself waiting to start the next run. It's off to the side of the large building where the bus stop is located (shopping mall). We walked over to the waiting bus and got on there and got our seats.

My DH noticed the bus driver was wearing a Bajan (Barbados) lapel pin, and he was quite pleased that we knew what it was, etc. Very nice bus drivers.

We rode the bus all the way to Hamilton, and then took the ferry back to the ship. Very easy, very nice day, and we didn't have to take the bus back during "rush" hour.

Puh-leeese don't rent a scooter. The map link above shows the rather winding roads, but what you don't see is it's HILLY, too, and you can't always see around the turns. Add in the left hand driving, and you have a pretty scarey ride. I say this coming from many, many trips to the Caribbean riding on the back of a scooter, and some left-hand drive. We would NOT rent one in Bermuda.

Archived