Driving Rental to FLL - need advice

TaylorMace

We are going on CB in February. We only cruise once every 3 years and last time almost missed boarding because snow was changing the flight schedules. My friend and I convinced the wives into renting a car and driving from VA to FLL, then we are catching a direct one way flight home.

I have not called the rental companies yet, but was wondering if anyone has any tips for renting a car and driving to FLL. Is there an easy place to drop the car off at/near the port? Suggestions on rental companies?

Most of the rental car companies have locations that service the port. I use Avis. Drop your family at the port with bags, then drive the car to the rental location. They have a shuttle that will take you back to the ship. No need to drag everyone and everything to the rental car facility. Plus it all just takes space on the shuttle. :D

We are going on CB in February. We only cruise once every 3 years and last time almost missed boarding because snow was changing the flight schedules. My friend and I convinced the wives into renting a car and driving from VA to FLL, then we are catching a direct one way flight home.

I have not called the rental companies yet, but was wondering if anyone has any tips for renting a car and driving to FLL. Is there an easy place to drop the car off at/near the port? Suggestions on rental companies?

We have rented cars several times and dropped them off at the airport. (It is right near the port) You can than get a shuttle to the pier or if arriving a day earlier and staying at a hotel, you can catch a shuttle to your hotel. It works out cheaper for us than parking for the duration. We also rent a car to go back home. We usually use Avis, but all the major rental agencies are at the airport.

Thrifty/Dollar have a location right outside of the port security area. They run a free shuttle from their office to the ship. Be sure to check how much the drop fee is since you will be dropping off at a location different from where you picked up.

Budget has an office in the Quay Shopping Center just outside of the 17th St port entrance. They also run a shuttle to the port. There is a shuttle bus from the rental car area at the airport but it is only for the customers from two of the rental companies, Avis and Hertz I believe.

From what I understand there is a major rental car area at FLL, which is very close to the pier. For our honeymoon next year we are heading to Disney World for a few days and then renting a car and driving down to catch our cruise. From what I have read both here and on various WDW forums is that dropping off a rental at the airport and grabbing a taxi to take you to the pier or any hotel if you plan on getting there a day early is very easy and very quick.

I would suggest aiming to get there the evening before your cruise so that any traffic you might hit doesn't cause a lot of unneeded stress. Many of the less expensive hotels in the area offer packages that include a shuttle to the pier and/or breakfast. Might be something worth looking into.

Be sure to check the various rental agencies to see if you can find one that will not have a drop off charge for a car rented where you live and dropped off in Florida.

Often one way rentals will have a hefty fee, especially those that are interstate.

Be sure to check the various rental agencies to see if you can find one that will not have a drop off charge for a car rented where you live and dropped off in Florida.

Often one way rentals will have a hefty fee, especially those that are interstate.

I have seen the fee to be as high as $1,200 to do this.

Archived