What is the appeal of repositioning cruises?

Scott Cyn

One further plus for a re-positioning cruise...usually longer than the 7day (or less) cruise. The boarding, unpacking, getting your "sea legs", finding way around ship, getting into swing of ship activities, the casual, informal, & formal dress code, and finally re-packing all your "stuff" makes the re-po cruise just MORE appealing Especiallly if you have to pack to TWO.

Mike, your posts are very informative but very difficult to read in the red font. Would you consider changing to a darker hue---maybe in blue or black? Thanks, no matter what you decide.

Sorry that the red is tough on your eyes. When I first joined the boards, several people told me the red was great because it made the post stand out. No one else has mentioned a problem with it, but you might not be alone. I'll see what I can do.

• 3 months later...

and I am searching with no luck for repo on "X" or RCCL, so give me dates & ships you know (M Class on X or Voyager or better on RCCL). Sorry but I am picky!

I agree that value is the magic word as well as very relaxing. Kids are in school usually & the only ones on the cruises are in buggies.

Well,

Our first (together) cruise was last fall, Sept. 24 - Oct. 17 or something like that on the Oosterdam from Seattle......to Vancouver.........down the west coast to LA........on to the Mexican Riviera, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, through the Panama Canal and many days in the Caribbean as well.

Yes, we did have to fly home (Portland OR) from Ft. Lauderdale but the cruise was HEAVEN................

Some RePos have many port stops, as this one did.

A balcony............the canal.............we'd do that again in a heartbeat.

AND, it was affordable.

I'd never do a 7 night cruise (that's only six days, remember) because it's a LOT of work to get ready for a cruise

but then, we are retired and I know everyone doesn't have that option.

The only problem with our cruise, we got some kind of INFECTION on it, obviously, because we leave shortly for cruise number four..........perhaps it's called CRUISE INFECTION.:)

We have done a repositioning cruise last year from San Francisco and went thru the Panama Canal and we loved it. we had three sea days in a row, not bad. We did get to see four ports. As we live in Fort Lauderdale we had no plane to catch to return home and we got the Fort Lauderdale to San Fran for 93 a person one way and the cruise was 15 days and we paid 700 a piece for an oceanview,.

We are doing a transatlantic in November and we have 6 sea days in a row, I am hoping that we have the nice weather and also can tolerate one another for 6 days!! The ship is big enough for the both of us!!

We enjoyed reading your post about your experiences on the Galaxy to Rome. We're sailing back on her to Galveston on October 17th.

What are your thoughts about the ship? I have been reading so much about the condition of the ship, but I'd love to read yours since you were on her so recently.

I see you are Canadians, so I'm curious. Where did you board the ship? Did you fly to Galveston, Texas to board the ship?

Just returned from the Constellation Repositioning from Europe to US. Lots of appeal to the cruise - One way flight to Europe, 5 great ports of call and 5 days of total relaxation at sea. The best part was that each evening on the crossing you gained an extra hour with time zone changes.

Othe real benefits were that there were very few children and all the baltic wear and gift items were on sale at 50-75% off.

For me repositioning cruises are the perfect convergence of price and function. The last few years I have been able to talke 14-17 days vacation at one time so a peaceful 7 orf 8 day transatlantic crossing is a great way to unwind either before or after enjoying a hectic week touring the country of departure or destination.

Three years ago we took a 7 day T/A repositioning cruise from Harwich, England to Boston, MA. We flew into London and spent 10 days in England before the relaxing cruise home.

Next April 28th we will be taking an 8 day T/A repositioning cruise from NJ (New York harbour) to Dover, England with one prior port, LaHarve France.

We will get to spend half a day in Paris then once we dock in Dover we will spend a few days in Scotland touring Edinburgh and the Highlands before going back to London for a couple of days before flying home.

The T/A repositioning cruises with few port calls are incredibly inexpensive and leave us with enough money to enjoy a full week on land in addition to the cruise.

ill be doing the 4/28/06 Bayonne-Dover on Constellation. staying 3 days in London and looking to fly back to JFK or EWR on 5/6/06. have tried Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. could the high cost be due to the fact that its one way U.K.-USA? that doesnt seem fair!

I understand your delima now. Yes your are correct that a one way ticket is often the same price or more than a one way ticket. I did find a $419 connection on aer lingus.

It is possible you will find cheaper ticket closer to sailing time. There are often airline sales after the first of the year.

and the white chocolate coffee at $3/lb was a bargain. I bought 10! Also the logowear table with great zipper front sweatshirts at $18 & polos for $15!

Just returned from the Constellation Repositioning from Europe to US. Lots of appeal to the cruise - One way flight to Europe, 5 great ports of call and 5 days of total relaxation at sea. The best part was that each evening on the crossing you gained an extra hour with time zone changes.

Othe real benefits were that there were very few children and all the baltic wear and gift items were on sale at 50-75% off.

To echo what others have already said - we like repos because they're usually two weeks long, offer several consecutive sea days and are well priced. Our favorite is transatlantic westbound - five consecutive sea days, each 25 hours long because you gain one hour each day. Cruising doesn't get better than that!

thanks Jim, i found that aer lingus fare also then checked X's price and at $499 with the transfers i decided to go with them as its my first trip to England and im not familiar with the landscape, so to speak. thanks for your help though, will keep an eye open for low fares closer in!

We just booked another repo (line voyage actually), from Istanbul to Singapore through the Suez, 11-06, on Oceania's Nautica. They are moving the ship from the Med market to the Asia market, and I've always wanted to do the Suez.

Port stops in Egypt, Oman, UAE, India, and Thailand, 25 nights, 16 sea days total. Hog heaven for me.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I'll be leaving on my first trans-atlantic in a few weeks and I know I'll love it! I've always liked sea days and this one has a lot of them. It will also be my first 2 week cruise. It cost less than I've paid for a 7 night![/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Terri[/font][/b]

Archived