tracfone overseas?

abby32

Just curious, has anyone tried using a Tracfone in the Eastern Carribean (San Juan, St. Thomaas, St. Martin ports)? Just wondered if they work or not overseas.

It will work in PR and St Thomas. Not sure about St Maarten. Basically will only work in the US and any US territory.

From what I read on their website you can call overseas with tracfone from a US state or territory. It did not state you can use the phone overseas to call.

tracfoneild ;) com

"Now with America’s #1 Prepaid Wireless Service you can call over 60 international destinations directly from your TRACFONE at no additional cost."

"Here is how to make an international call From your TracFone, dial 1-800-706-3839, the access number for TRACFONE International Long Distance. From Alaska, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands please dial 305-938-5673 instead."

• 2 years later...
Oct 25, 2015. I have a tracfone (and love it mostly because of the savings). I just returned from a cruise that started in San Juan and visited St. Thomas, and it did NOT work in either port. No service whatsoever.

A quick coverage check by zip code would've shown zero coverage on St. Thomas and (a bit surprised, myself) of San Juan. Trackfone, as MNVO is on AT&T's GSM network - we had coverage on AT&T's own prepaid plan - "Gophone" as well as T-Mobile's prepaid plan in San Juan. Coverage is sometimes affected by your smartphone/device's bands or frequencies - APN settings that need to be manually changed, etc. to get 4G, 3G/HSPA+ or even 2G/Edge signal from the partner's tower on those islands.

It's always advisable to check & call 611 to speak with one's CSR about their latest coverage.