Allure of the Seas - November 4th Sailing Hits and Misses

cynalan

The Allure of the Seas has been reviewed many times on this board. Thus, I thought that I would restrict my comments to my opinion of big hits and misses.

Hits :)

Service - In a simple word... fantastic. Embarkation took a total of 12 minutes from arriving at the pier to boarding the ship - at 11:30!!! Woo hoo. We also had an issue where we had to leave the Chef's table early due to reservations for Chicago. We missed collecting our recipe book. When I mentioned it to the hostess at 150 Central Park, it was in our room within 30 minutes. Anyone and everyone we interacted with on the ship was top notch. Best of any ship we've travelled.

Entertainment - MO5AIK was absolutely the best headliner show we've ever seen. These 5 guys are truly amazing, particularly the human beat box. He had to be seen to be believed. Blue Planet was also one of the best production shows we've seen. A story with a message beautifully choreographed with excellent staging. Ocean Aria is another show not to be missed. This diving show is truly unique to the Oasis class ships.

Chef's Table Package - This dining package included dinners at Chef's Table - a small venue held in the Concierge Lounge with 14 other patron's. This was an intimate dinner matched with wine pairings. One of the best cruise meals we've had. The second venue in the package was a tasting menu at 150 Central Park - also exquisite. Third venue was Chops - excellent steak and seafood.

Activities - My wife and I are huge trivia fans. There were at least 3-4 different trivia quizzes each day. Even on sea days there were far more activities than one could possibly do. Great variety and definitely never boring.

Electronic Interface - We loved the interactive screens on board and in the staterooms. Anything and everything one needed to know about the ship was available, e.g. wait times in dining venues, entertainment and activity options, reservations for shows/dining, etc. Best interface of any ship we've experienced.

Misses :mad:

DJ - I have no idea where the DJ received his inspiration to play the music he did. For a variety of different activites, e.g. skating show, the Quest, he played "house" music that would be more suitable for 20 something hipsters partaking the club scene. Did he not survey the crowd on board. Yes, all ages were present but the majority of cruisers were probably 35+. He really needs to play more appropriate music for the clientele aboard ship.

My Time Dining - On our last few ships we have grown accustomed to the wonderful social experience of my time dining, anytime dining, whatever you choose to call it. The Allure can and should take a lesson from other cruise lines. This was a horrible experience. On our first night, we had to wait 45 minutes for a table. The atmosphere was chaotic. First, you had to wait in line to give your state room number to the maitre d'. Second, once your room number had been taken, you had to wait in a lounge for your number to be called. Imagine 40-50 impatient people in a large, noisy room straining to hear their number called. It was a mess. In addition, it was very difficult to be seated with others. One of the points of the My Time Dining experience for us is to meet new friends. Well, we only succeeded in securing a table for 6+ on 2 of 4 nights.

Windjammer - Although we were impressed with the quality of food in the Windjammer buffet, the size of the room was far too small for the number of people on board. Finding a table at peak times for breakfast or lunch was nearly impossible.

Bottom Line - Even with the few misses we encountered. This ship was the best we've experienced in the Caribbean. I would give it a 4.9 out of 5 stars.

My Time Dining Well, we only succeeded in securing a table for 6+ on 2 of 4 nights.

Windjammer - Although we were impressed with the quality of food in the Windjammer buffet, the size of the room was far too small for the number of people on board. Finding a table at peak times for breakfast or lunch was nearly impossible.

Hi,

I was just wondering if finding a big table you can share can actually be blamed on the crew. What if there are people who only want tables for two or their own group? :confused:

The problem with Windjammer is indeed a funny one. It is crowded during breakfast and lunch but empty during dinner. So they have managed to convince people to eat their dinner elsewhere but not their earlier meals :rolleyes:

I do agree with you on most points. Glad that you enjoyed your cruise!

We did not encounter a problem finding seating in the Windjammer on our 10/28 cruise. The staff was really on top of it and were guiding people to tables during rush times. They were very efficient in keeping tables ready. We ate at primetime most days.

My Time Dining - On our last few ships we have grown accustomed to the wonderful social experience of my time dining, anytime dining, whatever you choose to call it. The Allure can and should take a lesson from other cruise lines. This was a horrible experience. On our first night, we had to wait 45 minutes for a table. The atmosphere was chaotic. First, you had to wait in line to give your state room number to the maitre d'. Second, once your room number had been taken, you had to wait in a lounge for your number to be called. Imagine 40-50 impatient people in a large, noisy room straining to hear their number called. It was a mess. In addition, it was very difficult to be seated with others. One of the points of the My Time Dining experience for us is to meet new friends. Well, we only succeeded in securing a table for 6+ on 2 of 4 nights.

Thanks for the review. We're newbies slated to try MTD. Did you have "reservations" for MTD or did you just show up? Did you have to wait a long time for a table the other nights as well or just the first night?

We were on the same voyage and I hope to have my review up soon.

100% agree with the attentiveness of the staff. One of the best groups we've ever encountered. Went out of their way to be accomodating and nice and it didn't seem faked for tips.

I have to disagree with MTD. We LOVED our experience. We made a reservation for the first night at 5:45 and walked right in. But we could see the growing backup, especially for those without reservations.

We spoke with our dining staff later in the week and they said that that first night was one of the worst they have ever had. They said everyone arrived at the same time for some reason. They could barely keep up with it all. Obviously for MTD to work the guests need to be staggered so they can use the same tables at least twice.

But we never saw another backup the rest of the week. Eating early definiteley seemed to keep us out of the super busy traffic but we were usually leaving MTD around 7pm so could see who was coming in. Every night as we left we made a reservation for the next night and never waited when we came.

On both Freedom and Allure I didn't see a lot of huge tables in MTD. In fact on Freedom they said tables for 2 were so requested they had more of those than anything. I think if you are hoping to be paired up you will have to do traditional dining on the RCCL ships.

As far as Windjammer - Agree it was hard to find a table during peak times - but I have found that to be the case on all RCCL ships. I actually found it easier to find a table on Allure than the Freedom and we had to always find a table for 5 which makes it harder. We had breakfast in Johnny Rockets and it was practically empty. Park Cafe always seemed easier to navigate too at peak times. I didn't think it was any worse in Windjammer than any other boats.

I will say there were a couple of times they should have had both sides of the Windjammer open due to peak of people. They need to work on that a bit. I also wish they did the 3-5 snacks up there like they did on other shops instead of closing at 3:30.

Thanks for your review! I've been reading the the MDR (early, late, MTD) in all incarnations, is a little chaotic on the first night. On Oasis we skipped it, had lunch at Giovannis and went to the Windjammer for dinner, which was ghostly empty;) So glad to hear the service is so good, we are looking forward to our turn:D

Welcome home!

The Allure of the Seas has been reviewed many times on this board. ...............

Bottom Line - Even with the few misses we encountered. This ship was the best we've experienced in the Caribbean. I would give it a 4.9 out of 5 stars.

Agreed, but I can usually find something valuable in every review. I'm sticking with traditional dining and you helped reinforce that. Your dead on about the Windjammer. It would help if more people would be open to sharing a large table. While I'm going back on Allure for the 2nd time soon, I can't wait to go back on a Freedom class again, they have the best windjammer seating IMO.

Eating early definiteley seemed to keep us out of the super busy traffic but we were usually leaving MTD around 7pm so could see who was coming in. Every night as we left we made a reservation for the next night and never waited when we came.

We have reservations at different times, I don't think two are alike. Sounds like dining early helped you the first night. Were the reservations for other nights also early?

Luckily we have an early reservation for the first day but others are 6:15, 7:45 and 8:15. Were there lines for people WITH reservations around those times? If you happen to remember.

We have reservations at different times, I don't think two are alike. Sounds like dining early helped you the first night. Were the reservations for other nights also early?

Luckily we have an early reservation for the first day but others are 6:15, 7:45 and 8:15. Were there lines for people WITH reservations around those times? If you happen to remember.

I had my 6 year old son so we did eat earlier. 5:30 or 6:00 every night. Never any lines for those WITH or WITHOUT anynight. But we left by 7pm most nights.

Movies - I remember BRAVE on the outdoor screen. Theater had Avengers, Men In Black III and can't remember what else. They were always near midnight for the most part which was too late for us.

Most of the people in the club when we were there were under 40. Whenever I wanted to hear a song I would just go up to the DJ booth and request it. I met the DJ while in line at the MDR and he said that he does survey the crowd and see what everyone is feeling. He won't start playing a style of music if the floor is on fire.

MDR is only worth it if you make reservations. No point of just showing up as the OP learned.

MDR is only worth it if you make reservations. No point of just showing up as the OP learned.

I respectfully disagree. We never made reservations for MTD and the most we waited was 10 minutes other then the formal nights. The second formal night was lobster night and we waited about 30 minutes.

I didnt experience how long the wait was for non reservation my time diners. We had reservations but noticed the people without reservations were waiting sometimes up to 40 minutes (not sure if it was formal night or not). The one night we did go to the MDR without reservations we waited maybe 10 to 15 minutes (non formal night). So I guess the wait isn't that long now that I think of it hehe

I had reservations for MTD and usually showed up about 10-15 minutes before my resevation. Each night that I did the MTD I was always called to be seated right at my reserved time. I did notice that if you did not reserve a time and were a walk up the wait times were noticeably long.

To the OP, do you happen to remember what movies were playing at the theatre and on the poolside screen? Thanks.

We only attended one movice but here are the ones I can remember: Men in Black 3D, Brave 3D, Shrek 3D, Puss in Boots.

Most of the people in the club when we were there were under 40.

Actually, if you reread my message, I was not referring to the club. My comment was addressed at the public spaces where the DJ was playing prior to certain events, e.g. The Quest, Ice Games, Love and Marriage, etc. I know that Blaze attracted a younger crowd. However the venues mentioned above had a much older average age. The "club" reference was to a style of dance music, not the nightclub Blaze.

Archived