Conch Fitters

acbat1

When we port in Nassau I am mostly staying on the boat but will get off for awhile to see the terminal and possibly walk to the straw market so my daughter can see what it is like. Is there somewhere close to the terminal in walking distance where we can get some good Conch Fritters?

look for Cracked Conch not fritters .. more meat , less bread fillers... I was told when you get off teh docks head right and look for a jewlery store... there is a place above it for the best on the island.. I will be heading there in early Dec. so let me know what you find there please...:cool:

look for Cracked Conch not fritters .. more meat , less bread fillers... I was told when you get off teh docks head right and look for a jewlery store... there is a place above it for the best on the island.. I will be heading there in early Dec. so let me know what you find there please...:cool:

My cruise gets back December 6th so I will let you know what I think.

Thanks Guys!

the Place is called Athena Cafe ...It is on Bay & Charlotte Streets, right across from the ships. Go down Charlotte to Bay, it's above the jewelry store on the right.. I got this place from some locals ...;)

Think this is a better option than going to the "Fish Fry"/Arawak Cay?

• 1 month later...

I went to Athena's last Feb and the conch salad and more so the grilled octopus was absolutely delicious! The friend I went with went back a few months later, and the portions were about 1/3 the size, and the prices the same. I don't remember the price of the conch, but the octopus was $18. She said the portions were so much smaller she sent it back. She asked why and they manager laughed in her face and said the old cook wasn't making him any money so they fired him.

Sad, bc that octopus there has ruined me for all other octopus forever. I may go there and try again, but for $18 and just a few pieces of it, not sure if it's worth the gamble.

But to answer the OP's question, I did also have some conch fritters before leaving the indoor straw market, there is a stand inside. It's called Linda's Place and it's like 6 pcs for $3. They also have cracked conch.

P1050815.jpg.24f2e02ef9f982e53e3faac2332fd5bf.jpg

P1050814.jpg.0148e9025160eee9f964f71c3ae43ab0.jpg

P1050816.jpg.1a5d4d0cb477354cea8d922276322616.jpg

We had some cracked conch at the "Conch Fritter Bar & Grill" - I thought that they were really good! you get off the ship and head right to Senor Frogs, then turn left at Senor Frogs, and you will see a Dunkin Donuts, it is right next door to that - We had Cracked Conch and 2 Bahama Mama's and it was a little over $30 -

We had some at the Greek restaurant and I thought they were just o.k., and expensive, but the fresh salad was wonderful but small.

Went inside the terminal to go back on the ship and there was a little stand selling them, I would give them a try, looked good!

We had some cracked conch at the "Conch Fritter Bar & Grill" - I thought that they were really good! you get off the ship and head right to Senor Frogs, then turn left at Senor Frogs, and you will see a Dunkin Donuts, it is right next door to that - We had Cracked Conch and 2 Bahama Mama's and it was a little over $30 -

Thanks for the tip! I will try out this place. :)

On our Dec. cruise stop in Nassau, we walked over to Atlantis and back, stopping at Potter's Cay for conch. I highly recommend Doc Sands Fish & Conch, stall #6. Nicola Sands made us fresh conch salad right in front of us. Delicious! Salad and two Kaliks for $16. She was in the midst of expanding their little stall at the time and didn't have fritters but there were other stalls where you could get them if so desired and she offered to get some for us, but I was all about the salad!!! Here, with your order if you want to keep the shell, you could, which certainly beats spending $5 to just buy one! I'll definitely be back again. I also agree that conch fritters are more filler than conch and one should opt for cracked conch instead. One last note, people must realize that it takes 4 years for a conch to mature; think the prices are fair considering this fact.

There are two bridges that link Paradise Island to Nassau. As roads are all one-way routes, one bridge goes over to PI and the other comes back. It is under the bridge that comes back from PI that Potter's Cay is located. This map will give you a better idea:

http://www.bahamasforvisitors.com/images/nassau-paradise-island-map.gif

This page will explain the area:

http://www.bahamasforvisitors.com/Restaurants/restaurants-nassau/potters-cay-dining-nassau.html

This page mentions Bones which was another spot we were recommended to try but Nicola Sands was the one that spoke to us invitingly so we obliged and were happy we did!

Hope this helps!

There are two bridges that link Paradise Island to Nassau. As roads are all one-way routes, one bridge goes over to PI and the other comes back. It is under the bridge that comes back from PI that Potter's Cay is located. This map will give you a better idea:

http://www.bahamasforvisitors.com/images/nassau-paradise-island-map.gif

This page will explain the area:

http://www.bahamasforvisitors.com/Restaurants/restaurants-nassau/potters-cay-dining-nassau.html

This page mentions Bones which was another spot we were recommended to try but Nicola Sands was the one that spoke to us invitingly so we obliged and were happy we did!

Hope this helps!

I do remember something about under the bridge now that you mention it. I missed SO much in Nassau last time. I gotta do it all this time! Thanks for the tip! :)

On a recent walking food tour of Nassau we went to a locally owned restaurant called Bahamian Cookin'. It's a little bit of a hole in the wall but the food was delicious. They had conch fritters, as well as delicious peas and rice and baked macaroni and cheese! It's located on Frederick Street.

By the way the walking tour called the Bites of Nassau Food Tasting and Cultureal Walking Tours was one of the best things I've ever done in a Caribbean port and totally the highlight of my recent Bahamas cruise.

By the way the walking tour called the Bites of Nassau Food Tasting and Cultureal Walking Tours was one of the best things I've ever done in a Caribbean port and totally the highlight of my recent Bahamas cruise.

Was this something you booked thru your ship, or independently?

On a recent walking food tour of Nassau we went to a locally owned restaurant called Bahamian Cookin'. It's a little bit of a hole in the wall but the food was delicious. They had conch fritters, as well as delicious peas and rice and baked macaroni and cheese! It's located on Frederick Street.

This sounds awesome! :)

Archived