Itinerary change- America's Cup

terrifish

I just received an itinerary change from my travel agent on the Sep. 13 Solstice America's Cup sailing. Both British Columbia and the Astoria ports have been cancelled and replaced with Monterey, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. Now there are 3 tendered ports that I didn't care to go to anyway. I hate to miss the America's cup-- but unless there is a drastic price cut, I think I will jump ship.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

That revised itinerary may not put you into SF on a good day to see the AMerica's cup. Compare new itinerary against schedule

http://www.americascup.com/en/news/4/events/3267/2013-americas-cup-program-includes-55-days-of-racing-defender-trials

There is a cruise on the Millenium that doesn't do Astoria but does BC and an NCL cruise that hits both ports but only has a one day stop in SF, on the last day of the races.

Disappointing I would want to do both of those ports.

I just received an itinerary change from my travel agent on the Sep. 13 Solstice America's Cup sailing. Both British Columbia and the Astoria ports have been cancelled and replaced with Monterey, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. Now there are 3 tendered ports that I didn't care to go to anyway. I hate to miss the America's cup-- but unless there is a drastic price cut, I think I will jump ship.

Did they give any reason for the change to 3 ports...that seems a bit unusual?:confused::confused::confused:

BILL

You are absolutely right. We will now miss the most important competition days for the 72 ft ships in America's Cup. That means it is no longer an America's Cup Cruise. We are very upset with this!!!! Celebrity needs to rethink this move!!!! Something is seriously wrong!!!

Terrifish-

There is a very similar itin on Millenium leaving the same day from Vancouver that may be more to your liking. It ends in San Diego and is only 9 days but no Santa Barbara or Los Angeles ports but does have the 2 B.C. Ports, I don't know how the San Francisco dates compare to your original dates, however.

I think the key part of this itinerary for most who booked it was the opportunity to watch the Americas Cup race from their balcony while the ship was docked in San Francisco. If the new itinerary eliminates key race dates then the cruise turns into just another Pacific Coastal. I wonder if this cruise will show up as a reduced rate on a Tuesday Special next year? ;) It's a pretty uninspiring itinerary now and some will wonder if disembarkation in Ensenada and the n/b trip back across the US border will be worth it all?

ybadequm.jpg

Was looking at this cruise for fall but wanted to visit Canada too. Will now look at a European cruise for November instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at Millennium (same day), so far the ports have not been changed....

BILL

The old itinerary dates put the ship arriving into SF on a scheduled 'Reserve Day' followed by the next day being an actual scheduled 'Race Day'. The new itinerary puts the ship arriving on a scheduled 'Race Day' with the next day in port being a scheduled 'Reserve Day'. I can't imagine the ship arriving into SF Bay with all those other boats parked just off of the Race Course and maneuvering around them? Depending on what times the races are that day the ship arrives it looks like you will still get to see two race heats that day, if some had been postponed earlier in the schedule then some possibly the next day?

http://34th.americascup.com/media/files/m4689_AC_Schedule_JUL4-SEP2013.pdf

The old itinerary dates put the ship arriving into SF on a scheduled 'Reserve Day' followed by the next day being an actual scheduled 'Race Day'. The new itinerary puts the ship arriving on a scheduled 'Race Day' with the next day in port being a scheduled 'Reserve Day'. I can't imagine the ship arriving into SF Bay with all those other boats parked just off of the Race Course and maneuvering around them? Depending on what times the races are that day the ship arrives it looks like you will still get to see two race heats that day, if some had been postponed earlier in the schedule then some possibly the next day?

http://34th.americascup.com/media/files/m4689_AC_Schedule_JUL4-SEP2013.pdf

On the new schedule, the Solstice does not even get into SF until at least 11 am on the 15th....That is probably between the two races. No time to get info on the race routes or tickets for venues. The next day is off.

Under the old schedule, the ship got into SF at 8 am, allowing passengers to get info and go to the America's Cup Pier and showcase and arrange for tickets for venues and then have a full day of race viewing the next day.

I was down in SF in October at the America's Cup Pier and collected a lot if info. I think the new schedule will be "testy" for the passengers who really want to enjoy the races.

I would not like that change at all.

I think the new schedule will be "testy" for the passengers who really want to enjoy the races.

Removing the biggest selling point of the itinerary and having three tendered ports definitely throws a wrench in the works. And ending in Ensenada is a huge 'minus' in my books. Like I said before, this will be on the Tuesday Specials list sometime in mid-August next year, maybe around $300-500 cheaper than what it's going for now. Such a shame, it had such promise... :(

Did they give any reason for the change to 3 ports...that seems a bit unusual?:confused::confused::confused:

BILL

I'll ask again...does anyone know the reason for the change. Was it addressed in the information from Celebrity?

BILL

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I know that Princess's CA coastals sell extremely well.

I'm staying put on the cruise for now, mainly because I already booked my air.

And a big thanks to CC....I have STILL not been informed of the change from my TA...only learned about it from the boards.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I know that Princess's CA coastals sell extremely well.

I'm staying put on the cruise for now, mainly because I already booked my air.

And a big thanks to CC....I have STILL not been informed of the change from my TA...only learned about it from the boards.

We also learned of the changes from the CC Boards. We booked through Celebrity and they did not have the courtesy to notify us of such a big change.

I'll ask again...does anyone know the reason for the change. Was it addressed in the information from Celebrity?

BILL

Our travel agent said that Celebrity did it to "better align with the America's Cup activities".

Not sure how that applies to the schedule for the Americ's cup

VERY disappointed with these changes!!! We have been on a coastal cruise before, and grew up in the Bay Area. Was really looking forward to Nanaimo and Victoria (can't get enough of Victoria!) and Astoria....have no need or desire to go to Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles(!)...and then to have to get on a bus to return to San Diego from Ensenada. We originally booked this cruise as a B2B, traveling on from Ensenada to Hawaii...only to be told by Celebrity (who had booked the cruise originally) that we couldn't do a B2B because of an archaic law. So had to cancel the B2B, but was still looking forward to the "America's Cup" cruise because of the ports and spending time with several family members. Well, we're all disgusted about these changes and 10 of us are going to cancel.

Can only wonder what Celebrity is thinking with these changes! We have been on several X cruises and really like the line, however, I honestly believe if this had been our first experience with X, we would NEVER attempt to sail with them again.

Sorry for rambling....just needed to vent my frustration!

Has anyone received any communication from Celebrity or their Travel Agent on this change? My TA has not received anything on this....neither have I.

The more I think about this, the more I get disappointed in Celebrity.....if I hadn't heard about it on here, I wouldn't have known about the change.

Archived