Carnival Documents No Longer Say VIP...Now Say Priority

ready2cruzagain

Seems like a colossal lack of self esteem to have to be validated emotionally by a tag that says "priority" rather than "VIP." What counts is the benefit, not the name. If the benefit changes, then there are logical arguments to make. Otherwise, you have the ultimate control as to how you react to this kind of change. If you are upset, it is because you decided to become upset over something trivial and meaningless.

Just checked this morning for our January 27th cruise. We have a suite. Previous boarding pass was VIP - now Priority. Previous luggage tags said VIP - now "nothing"!

Same for us. I don't think that suite passengers get the F2F benefits, including the priority luggage. Our only perk is priority boarding, as far as I can tell. And that is okay with me, I knew that was the only perk when I booked the suite. I've asked on the Funville boards, but haven't gotten an answer, and really don't expect one!

Seems like a colossal lack of self esteem to have to be validated emotionally by a tag that says "priority" rather than "VIP." What counts is the benefit, not the name. If the benefit changes, then there are logical arguments to make. Otherwise, you have the ultimate control as to how you react to this kind of change. If you are upset, it is because you decided to become upset over something trivial and meaningless.

Then the complete opposite is true as well. An upgrade from anything to VIP gives a colossal boost of self esteem by your reasoning.

Then the complete opposite is true as well. An upgrade from anything to VIP gives a colossal boost of self esteem by your reasoning.

Exactly! But only for those looking to improve their own sense of self worth. We are only really talking about a change of a word, and the interpretation of that word has created a reaction not based on anything tangible.

Exactly! But only for those looking to improve their own sense of self worth. We are only really talking about a change of a word, and the interpretation of that word has created a reaction not based on anything tangible.

And as a business, they should have known that and taken it into consideration. A simple word change that costs nothing has created a firestorm. Some companies spend millions in consumer research just to find the right nomenclature.

This on top of the colossal OOPS track Carnival seems to be on in the year 2012.

And as a business, they should have known that and taken it into consideration. A simple word change that costs nothing has created a firestorm. Some companies spend millions in consumer research just to find the right nomenclature.

This on top of the colossal OOPS track Carnival seems to be on in the year 2012.

I'll grant that it is a marketing OOPS, my comment simply tries to focus on the big picture. I'll accept that the change does make people upset, but I just don't agree with the need to be upset.

For our cruise in March, my luggage tags said VIP when I printed them last week. Now they say nothing. We have an Ocean Suite. Also we are in room 7314, which was sold to us as midship. Now the luggage tags say forward. Who knows what they will say by March. I guess I will just wait and see and go with the flow.

It actually ventures beyond change if a person is lied to .

Thats where the anger comes from,the actual dissing of platinum / milestone members by JH and Carnival . When they stated that everyone one be moved to the next level if they were close. For example the Slots where you buy one get one, Really, just so the platinum member will bring a friend.

As far as VIP is concerned , it was Carnival's idea to place its customers on a pedestal , not the customer. So blame Carnival for that.

The wording matters little to me as well, but you can bet something else will follow. When you lose faith in a company some people are a bit leary of what comes next or even to use them again.

I'm more or less just curious now .

I just asked John about this and this is the response I received.

My question to John

What is the new Priority boarding and have they gotten rid of the VIP room? From what I have read FTTF and VIP are one in the same and there is not going to be any VIP rooms any more.

Response

"not true Paul. The VIP roomis still there and only for VIFPs not FTTF folks so please dont worry. Cheers"

There is no VIP room in Galveston, just a separate short counter with only several check in agents.I wonder if the FTTF folks will be channeled into this counter with VIP folks.If so, those few agents will get backed up there. So long express check in.:rolleyes: Sure was nice last Sunday, walked straight on without any delay at all. May have been the last VIP check in with just actual Platinum and Diamond.

Obviously you don't ,big shocker there :eek: . Not a conspiracy in the least.

As far as posting as you do ,the facts rule against you.

I do as I please ,not what you suggest :cool:

Of course this is a much bigger deal for you as it is for me.

While I've been Platinum for awhile it's not why I cruise.

But as I see for some it's a really big deal.

It actually ventures beyond change if a person is lied to .

Thats where the anger comes from,the actual dissing of platinum / milestone members by JH and Carnival . When they stated that everyone one be moved to the next level if they were close. For example the Slots where you buy one get one, Really, just so the platinum member will bring a friend.

As far as VIP is concerned , it was Carnival's idea to place its customers on a pedestal , not the customer. So blame Carnival for that.

The wording matters little to me as well, but you can bet something else will follow. When you lose faith in a company some people are a bit leary of what comes next or even to use them again.

I'm more or less just curious now .

Is this all really that big a deal?:D

I'm not really fond of the lounge myself, be seated till your called in a crowded room with weak lime juice and cookies ;).A few ports don't even have one .Arrive later and the process is much faster.

I've had no problems in any of the Lounges or at the VIP Counter Check-ins. In Jaxport the few times I've sailed out of there I was darn glad to have VIP Check-in. The lines were sooooo long! Just curious what Ports did you have a problem in where the room was so crowded and at what time did you arrive?

We usually arrive around 11:30 or so.

I agree, been in the VIP lounge twice in New York (Ocean/Grand Suite not Platinum)and both times there was standing room only while we waited for embarkation to start. We arrived early so for us it wasn't an issue.

In Tampa they only had one employee working the VIP line and it took longer to get through there then it took our companions to get through the regular line.

We shall see how Ft. Lauderdale VIP lounge is in a couple of weeks, but so far having access to VIP lounge area is no biggie.

Whether or not I have access to my cabin at noon or 1:30 is not a big deal to us.

When did NY get a VIP Lounge? Sailed out of there fairly recently and there wasn't a lounge but it did have a VIP area at the Counter and four Stations that were designated VIP. Is the lounge something new?

I've had no problems in Tampa and actually thought it a very easy Embark (except we don't like the parking situation and do Valet). The last cruise this past April we were checked in right away and didn't even have a chance to sit down. However, the General Boarding lines were very long and we were very happy to have the VIP Check-in.

You'll have no problem in FLL...we sail out of there several times a year and it's never been crowded. The longest we had to wait was maybe five minutes or so as they have 4 or 5 stations at the Counter in the Lounge.

I've had no problems in any of the Lounges or at the VIP Counter Check-ins. In Jaxport the few times I've sailed out of there I was darn glad to have VIP Check-in. The lines were sooooo long! Just curious what Ports did you have a problem in where the room was so crowded and at what time did you arrive?

We usually arrive around 11:30 or so.

When did NY get a VIP Lounge? Sailed out of there fairly recently and there wasn't a lounge but it did have a VIP area at the Counter and four Stations that were designated VIP. Is the lounge something new?

I've had no problems in Tampa and actually thought it a very easy Embark (except we don't like the parking situation and do Valet). The last cruise this past April we were checked in right away and didn't even have a chance to sit down. However, the General Boarding lines were very long and we were very happy to have the VIP Check-in.

You'll have no problem in FLL...we sail out of there several times a year and it's never been crowded. The longest we had to wait was maybe five minutes or so as they have 4 or 5 stations at the Counter in the Lounge.

Miami "May 2012", a few times as well as Jaxport , Jaxport still needs a new port . Fascination needed more space than Celebration , I don't think that will ever happen ... Did they ever get the VIP lounge back there ???

Fort Lauderdale ,standing room only. Elevenish was my norm .

Hopefully this will clear some of this up

My PVP (which is one of the best) wrote me this:

‘VIP’ now ‘Priority’

Effective 11/16/12, we will replace the term ‘VIP’ with the term ‘Priority’. All usage of ‘VIP’ when referencing guest benefits will be updated in all areas including:

• Any references in Carnival.com

• Documents for ‘VIP’ guests will print out reading ‘Priority’

• Updated signage will be introduced at all ports

Therefore, our ‘VIP Check-In’ program will be known as ‘Priority Check-In’.

Priority Check-In Program

Carnival’s Priority Check-In is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum and Diamond guests and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations (categories: CS ES GS SS VS OS JS OB) with special registration privileges. Cruise documents will state, "Please proceed to Priority Check-In".

At the time of booking, you will need to instruct the travel agent or direct guest that the guest must ask for “Priority Check-In” upon arrival at the cruise terminal. Embarkation staff will ensure that guests are expedited through the check-in procedure as quickly as is possible, while providing quality service.

Please Note:

• We offer Priority Check-In at ALL embarkation ports.

• For those guests traveling with an additional stateroom that does not fall into one of the three categories above, the additional stateroom may check in through the Priority Check-In Program only if, 1) there are minor children traveling in the additional stateroom, or 2) the guests in the additional stateroom share the same Sail & Sign account with the qualified guest.

• For your information…guests who have purchased the Faster to the Fun package do not have access to the Priority Check-In Lounge; furthermore, the FTTF guests will proceed on board the ship after those guests in the Priority Check-In Lounge.

Priority Debarkation

In addition, Platinum and Diamond guests and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations (categories: CS ES GS SS VS OS JS OB) will receive a debarkation letter offering a choice of how they would prefer to disembark the ship. They will be given the option of Self Assist (where offered) or Priority Debarkation; for Priority Debarkation, the guest will receive special luggage tags which will entitle them to debark the ship after the Self Assist guests but before the remainder of the guests.

Miami "May 2012", a few times as well as Jaxport , Jaxport still needs a new port . Fascination needed more space than Celebration , I don't think that will ever happen ... Did they ever get the VIP lounge back there ???

Fort Lauderdale ,standing room only. Elevenish was my norm .

I guess it's all how we hit it!

Yeah, Jaxport has had a VIP Lounge the last few years that we've sailed out of there. It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive for us so it's nice for a quick getaway and out of all the Fantasy Class we like the Fascination the best. Hopefully, someday, they'll put a Ship out of Charleston that has balconies! The GS's are just too pricey!

My favorite Port for the easiest Embark and the best organized Debark has been Baltimore (at least for VIP Check-in and VIP Debark [or should I say Priority...lol]). Literally, just walked right on the Ship the three times we've sailed from there. :)

With the kiosks and all the other stuff now (paperwork done via computer) the lines just are not as long as years ago before computers and VIP Lounges, etc. Boarding the Ships have come a long way! :)

‘VIP’ now ‘Priority’

Effective 11/16/12, we will replace the term ‘VIP’ with the term ‘Priority’. All usage of ‘VIP’ when referencing guest benefits will be updated in all areas including:

Carnival’s Priority Check-In is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum and Diamond guests and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations (categories: CS ES GS SS VS OS JS OB) with special registration privileges. Cruise documents will state, "Please proceed to Priority Check-In".

At the time of booking, you will need to instruct the travel agent or direct guest that the guest must ask for “Priority Check-In” upon arrival at the cruise terminal. Embarkation staff will ensure that guests are expedited through the check-in procedure as quickly as is possible, while providing quality service.

Please Note:

• For those guests traveling with an additional stateroom that does not fall into one of the three categories above, the additional stateroom may check in through the Priority Check-In Program only if, 1) there are minor children traveling in the additional stateroom, or 2) the guests in the additional stateroom share the same Sail & Sign account with the qualified guest.

• For your information…guests who have purchased the Faster to the Fun package do not have access to the Priority Check-In Lounge; furthermore, the FTTF guests will proceed on board the ship after those guests in the Priority Check-In Lounge.

Priority Debarkation

In addition, Platinum and Diamond guests and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations (categories: CS ES GS SS VS OS JS OB) will receive a debarkation letter offering a choice of how they would prefer to disembark the ship. They will be given the option of Self Assist (where offered) or Priority Debarkation; for Priority Debarkation, the guest will receive special luggage tags which will entitle them to debark the ship after the Self Assist guests but before the remainder of the guests.

Thank you for posting this. I hope this clears this up now.

Really? Nothing this scandalous since RCL stopped sending luggage tags! For 5 bucks I will meet you at port and stamp VIP on your forehead?????

If this is all everyone has to worry about then you,have a great life!

I'm Was VIP but could care less....?

‘VIP’ now ‘Priority’

Please Note:

Priority Debarkation

The problem, of course, is that what boarding documents actually say is "If you are a PRIORITY member, please proceed to the PRIORITY lounge" If both Platinum/Diamond and FTTF documents read "priority" that would lead to the conclusion that both should go to the priority lounge.

This program sounds like what delta did to medallions with Amex. Delta diluted the medallion program, and subsequently give almost all the benefits of low end medallion to any person with an Amex card. The wording delta changed boarding to is so confusing that it causes a log jam of people trying to board out of order. This sounds like what carnival did, I will find out in 2 weeks how boarding will go I guess

‘VIP’ now ‘Priority’

Please Note:

Priority Debarkation

I appreciate the clarification!

I already printed my VIP luggage tags, so I'm using them!

We have sailed out of New York May 2011 and May 2012, arrived 11:30 both times. The lounge is to the right inside the terminal, they actually had someone checking before you entered the room to make sure you belonged there. By the time we started boarding there was standing room only. No complaints, we were actually on the ship quite quickly.

Only sailed out of Tampa once, VIP had one person checking guest in and they must of had a problem with someone's documents. The VIP line started backing up and it took us longer than our travel companions in the regular line

Looking forward to sailing in a couple of weeks.

VIP or no VIP everyone will all be on the ship by 2 PM and sailing by 4 PM.

Archived