Queen Elizabeth Stateroom Advice

newtoit

Hello all,

Just completed my first QM2 crossing, am now totally hooked. Will be going on QE around the Med next year. Looking at the deckplans they are very different from the QM2. ANy advice on the better Queens Grill locations? forward/aft/mid? We awere aft on QM2 and really liked it. Is it the same on the QE?

Thanks

We had a midships Q3 on QV, similar to QE, and really enjoyed the position as it was close to the central lifts, and it was easy to get anywhere. We have not tried the aft cabins on the ship. The Grills lounge and dining room are really lovely, I prefer them to QM2, and for a Med trip having lunch in the Courtyard should be wonderful. The Terrace is also a better size than that on QM2, but alas lacks a hot tub in which to sit gazing over the wake. Enjoy your trip!:)

We did the Princess Grill last year on QV and we're now hooked on it. The QV grill expereince is just wonderful. You are nicely 'isolated' up top with private elevator access and a good amount of outside deck space available. We've just booked QM2 grill and we're a little worried about being overlooked on deck 7.

The courtyard wasn't used very much on our Hawaii cruise. It was only open a few days when we were in port, and one of those days there was a huge downpour just after several people were starting thier meal. I was amazed at just how fast the waiters moved these unlucky guests inside!

Pretty much identical on QV and QE but the cabin sizes are different to your expereince on QM2.

If you must be midships because either you are wary of mal de mer or just don't like to walk as much then the two Q2's are the choice spot and about twice the size of a Q3 or Q4. The Q3s are also midships.

We've done Q4, of which there are quite a few and they radiate fore and aft of midships. For my money, it isn't worth the premium to go to a Q3, which is the same size to all intents and purposes.

Personally, I prefer the stern, although you do notice a bit of up and down motion in rough seas. Three of the four Q7's are there (they will be re-designated Q6 next year), as well the Q5s and Q6s. Sizes are about the same, only the deck level detemines category and price. The balconies on QV are deeper than those on QE. There is only one forward Q7 cabin, which is an accessible.

We preferred Q7 to Q4 because it was a more usable space for us and the stern view entering and departing from New York up the Hudson was terrific.

The four Q1 suites are also at the stern, as you will see from the deck plans. They are enormous. Those on deck 6 and Deck 7 have different layouts. If you want to splash that sort of money, Deck 6 is the choice. Ours on Deck 7 on QV had a balcony overlooked from above but I believe this is not the case with the flatter stern on QE.

It is quite a hike from any of the stern cabins to the lifts for the Grills, but at least it helps a little to work off all that excellent food.

Thanks for the advice everyone. All taken "on board" and will double check the deckplans. Any noise or vibration from been around the funnel area?

No noise/vibration in the midships state rooms or the Grills Lounge and Dining Room. When we were on QV she had a nasty "funnel rattle" which was annoying on the Terrace, but we didn't have the same problem on QE. No issues of soot on the Terrace in our experience on either ship.

QE had a constant minor vibration in our Deck 4 stern cabin last year which had the glassware tinkling on the shelves it but wasn't enough to bother anyone except the most critical of travellers. You could feel it in bed if you concentrated, it didn't interfere with getting a good night's sleep. We cured the glass noise with extra coasters.

I was told by someone who knows these things that it had been there since launch but was cured earlier this year by some attention to engine/generator mounts. This seems plausable - there were several mentions of it here at first but I've not seen it talked about all year.

No noticable soot at the stern on either ship, although you could see a bit of dark matter around the drain holes where they washed the balcony every night on QV this year. Almost all of the Grills terrace is forward of the funnel, so no problem with soot when in motion. Watch out for that ship's horn though!

Archived