Compare photo books

ZimmCouple

I have only used Shutterfly in the past to create photo books - would like to try Mixbook for our upcoming RCI cruise. Has anyone used both companies that could compare the quality?? I have also been more than pleased with the quality of my books from Shutterfly - but it looks like Mixbook offers more opportunity for custom work with digital scrapbooking. Don't want to spend a ton of money on a book, from a new company, to find out the quality isn't good...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not tried those companies, but there is enough competition around that I don't think a substandard company would last too long.

I have used both MyPublisher and AdoramaPix. Each takes a different approach. MyPublisher uses offset printing, while Adorama uses photopaper type prints. Of those two, I prefer AdoramaPix as they have seamless pages, so you can get a two page "centerfold". I make a photo book each time we take a cruise (but I am behind a couple of books), and usually like to reserve one set of pages for a centerfold; either the ship, or some nice scenery. That kind of thing.

And AdoramaPix are fairly reasonable priced as well.

I have used MyPublisher several times. They have an 11.5" x 15" coffee table book. Not many offer that size. It comes with a hard cover and book jacket. This book is pretty elegant and not really a scrapbook. MyPublisher is constantly offering special deals. I imagine most of the companies do. You might want to shop around.

I have used both Mixbook and Shutterfly and the quality of the finished product is pretty much the same. Mixbook is a little pricier, Shutterfly offered better sale prices. Mixbook had a better selection of background pages, stickers etc. IMO :) I was pleased with both.

I have used both Mixbook and Shutterfly and the quality of the finished product is pretty much the same. Mixbook is a little pricier, Shutterfly offered better sale prices. Mixbook had a better selection of background pages, stickers etc. I was pleased with both.

Thank you so much for the comparison. Yes Shutterfly does offer great sales, that is the reason I have always used them in the past - Mixbook is just appealing because of all the "extra" stuff you can choose from. :)

I have only used Shutterfly in the past to create photo books - would like to try Mixbook for our upcoming RCI cruise. Has anyone used both companies that could compare the quality?? I have also been more than pleased with the quality of my books from Shutterfly - but it looks like Mixbook offers more opportunity for custom work with digital scrapbooking. Don't want to spend a ton of money on a book, from a new company, to find out the quality isn't good...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also use Snapfish-sometimes they have a better selcetion of "pages" and themes.

They also have great specials that they will send out emails on

I have used several companies.

Blurb, with the image wrap cover is my favorite.

Blurb and Adorama Pix produce books of the best quality that I have seen.

Even better, use Photoshop Elements to create pages

of the needed size for your book.

This allows you complete control over background, layout,

drop shadows and strokes or frames.

Then put the pages into Blurb, then add text.

PSE will do nice text, but typos are easier to change in Blurb.

And you know exactly how many pages you need to buy.

This is somewhat like the scrapbook idea,

but without the messy visual clutter that most scrapbook pages have.

I made a Blurb book for a friend for a Christmas gift. I was very happy with the finished product. I have also been pleased with Shutterfly and Snapfish books, but in my opinion the book I received from Blurb was higher quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Picaboo for years now. I have used Shutterfly but I find it limiting in options. With Picaboo you can decide how many photos to a page, how to angle them, can superimpose photos over each other for effects, it has corner options, shadow options, and limitless background options. You can do two page spreads, and for extra money, lay flat pages. Lots of choices for book styles and they have sales too. Great quality and both on line and phone support. I make an album for each cruise too! You can upload your scrapbook embelishments just like your photos. I love it, but I will check out your other companies for sure!

I've made several books with Blurb and been extremely happy with the quality. One of my orders did arrive with an error. However, I contacted customer service and within a couple of days, I had a new book in hand and didn't have to send back the book with the error.

Here are my current books...

Book 1 http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/3746128

Book 2 http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/3746410

Book 3 http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/3746698

Archived