Beach Tour Options in Nice

luvtosing

Keep in mind that nearly all the pubic beaches, in this part of France, are awful beaches by US standards. The quality of the sand is not very good and there are many pebbles and rocks on the beaches. The better beaches (still not great) are further to the West (towards Cannes). For those seeking out a cruise/beach vacation in Europe we generally suggest they consider a cruise that stops at multiple ports in Greece (i.e. the Greek islands) and/or some other countries such as Croatia and Spain where they do have some excellent beaches.

We should add that there are also some excellent beaches in parts of Israel....when the rockets are not flying.

Hank

That was very helpful, thank you!

I agree with Hank 100%. If you really want a beach or water day, a better bet might be for the port of Naples. You could take a hydrofoil to Capri and spend the day or half day on a boat there and swim into the beautiful grottos and also spend part of the day in Capri town. Of course your other option would be a tour to Pompeii and Positano/Amalfi coast. We have done each on separate cruises and you can't go wrong with either choice. Here is a link to the day on a boat in Capri. http://www.capri.com/en/c/gianni-s-boat-2

With respect to Nice, great museums, Cours Saleya (market), and walks along the water and into the Negresco, are all thing we enjoy in Nice. Not so much a day on the beach there.

FYI..a lot or most I should say are topless..usual for Europe not as uptight as over here.

Probably more topless when lying down and not walking around topless. That was my impression of Barcelona. I wouldn't put it as "most", but rather as some. Saw a greater percentage in Mykonos at the St John resort. I saw none on boats in Capri and none swimming near the grottos. We brought our kids to Barcelona beaches it was never even noticed. The bigger issue in Barcelona and at the beaches is watching your stuff as it provides too much opportnities for the theives of Barcelona to find easy pickings. Best advice there is to carry around any valuables on your person.

Probably more topless when lying down and not walking around topless. That was my impression of Barcelona. I wouldn't put it as "most", but rather as some. Saw a greater percentage in Mykonos at the St John resort. I saw none on boats in Capri and none swimming near the grottos. We brought our kids to Barcelona beaches it was never even noticed. The bigger issue in Barcelona and at the beaches is watching your stuff as it provides too much opportnities for the theives of Barcelona to find easy pickings. Best advice there is to carry around any valuables on your person.

I would agree BCN is more lying down,but France not so much.BCN requires someone to always watch the itmes you bring.France is a much different culture or at least that has been my impression,and that is why I noted the topless.Americans usually tend to get uptight.:cool:

I would agree BCN is more lying down,but France not so much.BCN requires someone to always watch the itmes you bring.France is a much different culture or at least that has been my impression,and that is why I noted the topless.Americans usually tend to get uptight.:cool:

Hmmmm. I never got "uptight" but DW did get annoyed one day in Greece when I was wearing my glasses while swimming in the water (didn't want to miss anything). :)

Hank

Hmmmm. I never got "uptight" but DW did get annoyed one day in Greece when I was wearing my glasses while swimming in the water (didn't want to miss anything). :)

Hank

There is a fine line between looking and staring. Unfortunately, the majority aren't stare worthy. :)

There is a fine line between looking and staring. Unfortunately, the majority aren't stare worthy. :)

Majority in BCN correct...Cannes is another animal,and what is funny is the older woman with implants...do I paint a picture here???:D

The first time we ever stayed in Nice (I was in my 30s) we stayed at the Meridian. As soon as we arrived DW and I changed into our swim suits and headed to the rooftop pool to nap and recover from the long flight. The pool boy took us to our lounges which were pretty close together and in the next lounger was this absolutely gorgeous woman sans top. To make matters worse, she was slowly eating strawberries in a sensual way. I tried very hard to ignore this site while DW did her best not to burst out laughing at my dilemma.

Hank

The first time we ever stayed in Nice (I was in my 30s) we stayed at the Meridian. As soon as we arrived DW and I changed into our swim suits and headed to the rooftop pool to nap and recover from the long flight. The pool boy took us to our lounges which were pretty close together and in the next lounger was this absolutely gorgeous woman sans top. To make matters worse, she was slowly eating strawberries in a sensual way. I tried very hard to ignore this site while DW did her best not to burst out laughing at my dilemma.

Hank

Now THAT IS funny!!!:D:D:D

Hank

You probably needed a swim in some very cold water. :D

No Europe for us this year (we'll be back in 2014). But we will be at St Martin and head to Orient Beach. Some of the sites there are just scary. My 13 year old son will get a laugh.

• 3 weeks later...
Keep in mind that nearly all the pubic beaches, in this part of France, are awful beaches by US standards. The quality of the sand is not very good and there are many pebbles and rocks on the beaches. The better beaches (still not great) are further to the West (towards Cannes). For those seeking out a cruise/beach vacation in Europe we generally suggest they consider a cruise that stops at multiple ports in Greece (i.e. the Greek islands) and/or some other countries such as Croatia and Spain where they do have some excellent beaches.

We should add that there are also some excellent beaches in parts of Israel....when the rockets are not flying.

Hank

If you keep going west past Cannes, you will find some (artificially) sandy beaches in Cannes LaBocca. Free, too.

For those reading this that are "concerned" about topless beaches, I must point out that attitudes are changing in France. Recent public opinion polls show that young women do not consider it okay to go topless at the beaches. It's been banned at the "Paris Plage" and you will typically only see a few topless women - mostly older, and quite possibly not French. (Which could be why the younger women look down on it these days.) On the flip side, you won't see one piece bathing suits. Bikinis are the norm, and I find I'm more comfortable wearing a bikini. (I've lived in France for nearly 3 years now)

Archived