Saigon Puppet Show

ottawa24

If I don't go to the Puppet Show will I regret it? I really didn't care for the after dinner shows in either China or Thailand. We are short on shopping time and I think I would prefer spending that time shopping.

Thanks for your opionions.

If I don't go to the Puppet Show will I regret it? I really didn't care for the after dinner shows in either China or Thailand. We are short on shopping time and I think I would prefer spending that time shopping.

Thanks for your opionions.

After dinner shopping? You mean like after 7-8PM??? Other than some of the mega stores and shopping malls (there are NO bargains there), you won't be shopping. The local markets (Bin Thah, the Russian market) close about 6PM. A few local stores stay open until 7-8PM but you will be wandering the back streets to find them. The lady I buy baskets from is about two blocks from the Rex hotel on a side street. She stays open later than almost everyone on her street and she is out of there about 7:30PM.

You won't regret not going to the puppet show but you need to plan something else other than shopping. Dinner and drinks with entertainment at the Rex??? Or great food, views and service at the Sheraton.

its supposed to be inc.in an excursion of city,but my DH is not too thrilled about it.Is there something near theater to do while rest of group is in there? He ll go if FORCED,but looking for an alternative.:confused:

It is normally incorporated in an excursion. I can't remember if anything was right there. I suspect stops as they are everywhere.

Keith

Having gone to the puppet show on our first visit I can tell you that you will not regret missing it.

Keith

Hi Keith,

We seem to agree on most things, but in the interests of balancing this thread I'll chip in & say we enjoyed it immensely. :p

Extremely dextrous puppeteers (though unseen until they took a bow at the end), live music (costumed musicians, traditional instruments), and a narration (in unintelligible Vietnamese) by a guy who sounds just like Eccles from the Goon Show :D

We went independently & arrived, without a booking, just as the show was about to start. The only vacant seats were in the front row - we thought we'd lucked-in, but those who've seen the show will know we lucked-out. Think "Sea World" but fortunately on a miniature scale :D

I think water-puppets are unique to Vietnam, so a shame not to see a show.

JB :)

although we enjoyed it I would never say we would now be regretting it if we'd missed it. depends on what the alternative was and for us shopping would not be one.

we do very little shopping when we travel.

a Vietnamese cooking school, now that would be an alternative, although I don't remember that being an option when we visited.

Thanks for the different perspectives. There is always a positive in every situation. We are staying at the Rex. What kind of entertainment can we expect and is there any view?As always thanks for the help. L:)

has a great roof top bar with nice view of city. Told my DH about John Bull s review,he now says "He ll go if I insist" .But will sure to avoid the front row,haha.PS.we also do very little shopping,but do like to window shop and just wander around.;)

I do very little shopping also because DH has a ball & chain around my ankle and keeps charge cards hidden in one of those "secret" pockets :eek: But I think we will have a wonderful romantic dinner with a great view and food. :)

L

• 2 weeks later...

We saw this as part of a vantage tour in October. While it is stadium seating, the seats have lost their oomph and one sinks low. I had trouble seeing the show. Having said that, we though it was fun, something we'd not seen before and unlikely to see again. And it was sold out.

Archived