Excessve phone charges

Alg63

if you have a slightly older phone you may want to take this for those quick picks and videos and leave your phone off turning it to airplane mode is good as if you don't and turn your phone on it will start getting data right away.

My daughter went to Italy with her college class and we set up data usage alerts with Verizon, however the alerts are not only confusing but very slow and reset when you turn the phone off. I was able to get a bit off Verizon but only going to executive services and sending them the confusing txt messages.

make sure you stop by your local phone shop so you know how to change the phones modes data off/on and what the icons on the screen actually mean!

. No, it is not. You need to also turn off data roaming as well as airplane mode.

Please stop the misinformation. In Airplane mode NO radio connections whatsoever are possible - therefore, no calls, no texts, no data - !UNLESS! - you turn wifi back on manually and connect to the ships wifi (which won't happen automatically) and pay ship rates for wifi service.

In Airplane mode NO radio connections whatsoever are possible - therefore, no calls, no texts, no data - !UNLESS! - you turn wifi back on manually and connect to the ships wifi (which won't happen automatically) and pay ship rates for wifi service.

Correct!

My solution is to turn the phone off when the ship leaves the embarkation port, put it in the safe, leave it there until the morning we are disembarking....if someone from home or work needs me they can email me and I'll use the free internet minutes to check that.....I take pictures with a camera...part of the joy of a cruise is the phone NOT ever ringing....of course I realize I am quickly becoming a minority in this...but NOT being in constant contact with the rest of the world REALLY is a beautiful thing...:)

Like I said, my solution works for me. I don't carry the phone with me, it stays in the cabin at all times, but I can relax more when I know that I am contactable quickly and easily. Because I have all phone calls diverted to voicemail before I leave my phone doesn't ring at all, but I can receive text messages. I don't have free internet minutes so I take the phone ashore in port and will check my emails using free wifi somewhere. It works for me - and I have peace of mind without being disturbed by a ringing phone :).

I am new to taking phones overseas so please be patient with my questions:

1. Going to SE Asia and have turned off data roaming on Verizon Droid.

2. Can I still set alarm clock or should I just leave phone turned off?

3. If I turn on phone to set alarm clock am i in danger of receiving a call or text?

4. If in port I find a place with free wi fi...would it be safe to use it and what do I turn on on phone and then turn back on?

Thanks so mucyh

I am new to taking phones overseas so please be patient with my questions:

1. Going to SE Asia and have turned off data roaming on Verizon Droid.

2. Can I still set alarm clock or should I just leave phone turned off?

3. If I turn on phone to set alarm clock am i in danger of receiving a call or text?

4. If in port I find a place with free wi fi...would it be safe to use it and what do I turn on on phone and then turn back on?

Thanks so mucyh

You can still use the alarm clock.

If you turn the phone on you are fine. Remember you are not charged if you do not make calls or answer them.

In port if you find wi fi you are fine as long as you keep the data roaming off.

Keith

Because your data os turned off, your alarm clock will not reset itself to the local country time when you arrive, however on the iphone and i am sure on others, you you can do a manual time set, or the other option is to use the timer function to count down from your current time showing on your phone for your alarm, rather than the alarm time. I know... This just happened to me on Rome.

Archived