Because of Sandy, Northeast school calendar change may affect plans

cacj

President's Week is a popular cruise time for families. Just wanted to pass along the info.

Just happened to read on the Delta Airlines site that NY has shortened the President's week vacation. I understand many Long Island schools have also. It may also affect the Memorial Day or Spring recess weeks for some schools.

I read that many of the schools have changed it so that school will be in session Feb 20, 21, 22.

Delta is offering to waive change fees for folks who may have been affected by the school calendar change.

So has AA, United , and Jet Blue. ALL they are doing is waiving change fee charges. Except Jet Blue who is offering a full refund.

This does not cover the expensive to rebook a more expensive ticket. Also the ticket is only good from the year you purchased the original tickets so IF you bought the ticket on April 1st you must fly by April 1st to use that ticket.

Also all February cruises are within the 90 day and or 120 day (suites penalty- much higher) mark so cruisers are under those penalties also.

This is the first time in three years that we do NOT have a President's week cruise booked. NYC teachers who had booked vacations for that week prior to November 19 would not be penalized for missing three work days. We can either take them as paid days, or, if we didn't have any days in the "sick bank" take them as unpaid days.

November 19 was the day the announcement was made. I think it's a reasonable compromise. I would imagine that school systems will be lenient in the attendance policies for students for that week.

Take your trip and go, we have had this happen with Snow and Spring break some years.

Do not let it bother you, a few days means little to most kids with the exception the ones who are in team sport or want prefect attendance.

I can tell you we take our kids on vacations and even some work/vacation trips they learn far more growing up on what it takes to work and other cultures than they would have learn in the classes those few days.

PS have you really ever seen or thought about what goes on and how little gets done in the class room on the days like those? The staff is bummed out about having to work, the kids are bummed out also. Mostly it is like the day before any holiday, it is mostly socialization and movie time. Of course the ones who have to stay will tell it it vital - mostly for the state aid money... Not bashing teachers it is some what human nature and mostly the system.

Archived