Veendam cabin help

Zelindar

Yes, I've read all the problems with the Veendam and am crossing my fingers that we don't have problems on our cruise next May.

Currently, 3 of us are booked in cabin E659 on the Main deck. One of us had to cancel so are down to two travelers. We thought it might be nice to be on the Lower Promenade this trip so I'm looking at that deck. We don't really care a lot about having an unobstructed view and could probably even live with a fully blocked view for the right price.

That being said, does anyone have any opinion on the following cabins on the Lower Promenade? I chose rooms that don't appear to be under rooms that may be noisy at night.

HH376 - mid ship - no view (currently, this is the only HH room listed mid-ship) $599 Seems too cheap for mid-ship Lower Promenade that it scares me - what am I missing here?

DD387 - mid ship - partial view (currently, this is the only DD room listed mid-ship) $879

Since we won't know which rooms suffer from air or toilet problems, it will be hit or miss - unless they actually repair the ship before next May.

Both cabins are slightly aft of mid-ship, so are nicely located as far as a smooth ride goes. They are also handy to outside views, and muster drill.

They are both obstructed, in full or in part, by the ship's superstructure across the promenade. You will get daylight, and possibly some view if you turn and strain your neck.

Light from outside comes in at night. This can be a good thing if you have a tendency to get up in the middle of the night. Leave the draperies partially open, with the sheers drawn, and there's plenty of light to find your way around.

These outside cabins are slightly smaller than the outsides on Main Deck.

Both of those cabins are under the galley, which is an iffy situation. You may or may not get a lot of overhead noise. When we had a cabin on the Amsterdam in a postition similar to 387 we had a lot of noise.

I'd suggest that you go further aft if possible. We had 394 on the Statendam and Ryndam and it wasn't bad for noise above, but 404 which we had on the Maasdam was noiseless above.

When HAL says "fully obstructed" for the HH what they really mean is no view straight out. In all but those four deep in the "tunnel" (300 to 303) you will be able to see water by looking hard left or right.

This picture is on the the Amsterdam, but the 3rd and 4th windows are in a position similar to HH396 and 398 on the Veendam.

attachment.php?attachmentid=131599&d=1252689333

We had 418 on the Veendam and liked it a lot. Those four D cabins across the back are about a foot wider than the side LP cabins, and the difference is noticeable.

The stairs outside 420 and 429 are not a problem because they are primarily fire escapes for the MDR, and are used infrequently.

I've given IRL_Joanie pictures of Veendam 418 which she has stored on THIS PAGE

Maasdam 419 is on THIS PAGE

Statendam 418 and 421 are HERE

Ryndam 421 and DD394 are HERE

Archived